It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Lloyds TSB gives Visa cards to 11-year-olds

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 30 2008 @ 04:43 AM
link   
reply to post by blueorder

Ok than would that mean children can make the decision to have sex? I would think not because they don't possess the faculties to process the gravity of there decisions. that is why imo no child or teen will be able to get a credit card like I stated earlier how are the banks going to hold one responsible for there debt if they are under 18? They can’t so than what go after there parents? They may have no idea there child has a card that would hardly be fair now. I believe common cense will prevail here.

As an unrelated note I hate PC.

posted on Jun, 30 2008 @ 04:48 AM
link   

Originally posted by SPC_D

Ok than would that mean children can make the decision to have sex? I would think not because they don't possess the faculties to process the gravity of there decisions. that is why imo no child or teen will be able to get a credit card like I stated earlier how are the banks going to hold one responsible for there debt if they are under 18? They can’t so than what go after there parents? They may have no idea there child has a card that would hardly be fair now. I believe common cense will prevail here.

As an unrelated note I hate PC.

My point is we are heading in a direction where common sense goes out the window, and there will be a continued campaign, under the guise of "EQUALITY" directed at minors, mark my words.

posted on Jun, 30 2008 @ 04:51 AM
link   
reply to post by SPC_D

Common sense seems to have been thrown clear out the window by the PC crowd and the banks.

It's at times like this that I'm kinda glad I'm out of all that mess.

posted on Jun, 30 2008 @ 04:54 AM
link   
God I hope you guys are wrong, but in the event you are not strap your selfs in becuase I think we are in for a crazy ride and I don't know if any one will be left to talk about it.

posted on Jun, 30 2008 @ 05:02 AM
link   
reply to post by SPC_D

Political Correctness was a term/strategy devised by a Communist think-tank in the 1930's to suppress opposition - it was funded by western capitalists, of course. Anyway...

A 12 year-old girl sued her parents for grounding her and won. This was here in Canada. She posts her address, school name and pictures on the internet, so he grounded her to keep her safe. The courts ruled this was "unreasonable," so now the pedophiles know where she lives, learns and knows that she is an easy target. Pathetic

Parents will need to get government permission to have any contact with their children in public. That starts in England, next year. The certification is already required in some areas for parents to pick up their children from inside the school and go on trips etc.

You are no longer allowed to use your Camera in parts of Britain, or you are a Terrorist - nevermind the nearly 5 million Government Cameras that are everywhere and recording you all the time.

Can you say "Garbage Bin Inspector"?

Political Correctness run amok. Any excuse to put you in debt and take your freedom. Not to mention the fact that the Taxpayers via the government are always forced to bail out these Mega-Corporations when their credit bubbles burst and no one can repay the debt - as most were given the credit without qualification.
The Taxpayers get binked for it...business as usual

[edit on 30-6-2008 by doctormcauley]

posted on Jun, 30 2008 @ 05:06 AM
link   
stunning just stunning I don't even know what to say at this point, this world is going crazy, war, crazy wether in the us I have no clue about the rest of the world. Just seams all of this is out of control and I want off this crazy ride.

as for credit cards for kids I don't forsee it happining till the parents can be held accountable.

posted on Jun, 30 2008 @ 05:09 AM
link   
I had a Lloyds debit card at the age of 12, that was 16 years ago!!
At that age you don't have an overdraft facility on your account, so cannot use it to get into debt.
I found that having the card made me feel all grown up, and as a result I saved up my paper-round money in the bank so that i could buy cool items with my card, as opposed to spending it on sweets and pop.

I can't see the problem with banks doing this, becasue you can only use these cards to spend money that is in your account. It also teaches kids to be more responsible, and encourages them to save.

posted on Jun, 30 2008 @ 05:25 AM
link   
reply to post by Paul

I want to live the world you live in.

I want to believe that everything is OKAY, and that this is not just Usury. For every $100 a CHILD deposits, the bank can now lend out $2 600 of imaginary digital fiat currency in the form of credit cards and predatory loans - business as usual.

Banks are not doing this "for the benefit if the child, to teach fiscal responsibility"
that is just a selling point, a soundbite if you will. This is not some Benevolent Force at work - in fact it is it the exact opposite.

Powerful people and interests use banks to indept the citizens of the world. They then recall the loans, which were artificial, digital fiat currency to begin with. This forces those indebt to forfeit their possessions to the banks.

This IMAGINARY money was used to indebt people for the sole purpose of obtaining (stealing via Usury) their REAL assets and property. Things of actual worth.

Best part is, if anyone resists; The banks call in their enforcers (Police) and have you either removed from the property, or liquidated on the spot. The governments that support these actions make so much money from it that they will never stop, in fact it will get worse.

Why do you think there are almost 1000 concentration camps built in America?
They are going to round people up and force them to work off their Debts and the National Debt - I can see it coming.

[edit on 30-6-2008 by doctormcauley]

posted on Jun, 30 2008 @ 06:54 AM
link   
The way I see it is, if a credit card company will issue a card to a family pet and "Never Waste Tree", then this is just normal practice to give kids a new outlet to keep the cash flow going.

Never Waste Tree

posted on Jun, 30 2008 @ 08:10 AM
link   
You know i remember my first debit card. It was a VIS electron, is was given to under 18's. The idea of it was i could get cash from machines and use it in some shops but it labelled me as under 18 so i couldn't buy alcohol or cigarettes etc.

The problem with giving children a full blow VISA card is that it can be used online to buy material which isn't suitable, even say violent video games. As far as i'm aware it doesn't check their age.

So no i don't agree with giving them full blown VISA cards, why not the VISA electron as i used to be given? As for credit, well stumason stated that perfectly, you can't get credit in the UK if you're under 18 as far as i'm aware, well not legally anyway.

reply to post by doctormcauley

Don't confuse the american system with the UK system, we have very tight controls on the age at which credit can be gotten. I think it's fine to teach children abotu money and being careful, look at the current generation, lots of them didn't learn this valuable lesson. People borrowed all they could, the banks made it easy but it's the people themselves who are at fault in the end.

I don't have tons of debt, simply because i'm careful and sensible, i never bought a 42 inch tv when i felt like it, i dind't buy six pairs of trainers, i didn't get the latest phone when mine was perfectly operational etc. I learnt that from my parents, but also frm having to deal with money early on in life, having the VIS electron card i think helped me understand teh need to be responsible.

[edit on 30-6-2008 by ImaginaryReality1984]

posted on Jun, 30 2008 @ 09:25 AM
link   

Originally posted by ImaginaryReality1984
The problem with giving children a full blow VISA card is that it can be used online to buy material which isn't suitable, even say violent video games. As far as i'm aware it doesn't check their age.

Remember, this isn't a "full blown Visa card". It merely is a debit card that can be used where the VISA sign is shown.

Even with a Switch Solo or Visa Electron, you can purchase alcohol or any other age restricted product online without hassle. If teenagers today had half and ounce of brains, they'd realise they could get alcohol (or any other restricted product) delivered to their front door without the hassle of dealing with the off licence.

Both Solo and Electron are available to over-18's as well, I've had one since I was 20, but had a full blown Switch card previously from the age of 16. It got taken off me because the switch card would allow me to spend over my overdraft limit and I got into trouble. Now I am on a Solo card, even though my financials have improved. Does the job, so why change?

posted on Jun, 30 2008 @ 10:37 AM
link   

Originally posted by stumason
Remember, this isn't a "full blown Visa card". It merely is a debit card that can be used where the VISA sign is shown.

By full blown VISA card i meant a card that can be used at any place accepting VISA, i was comparing it to me old VIS electron card which could only be used in a very limited amount of locations.

Even with a Switch Solo or Visa Electron, you can purchase alcohol or any other age restricted product online without hassle. If teenagers today had half and ounce of brains, they'd realise they could get alcohol (or any other restricted product) delivered to their front door without the hassle of dealing with the off licence.

You cannot use VISA electron to purchase alcohol legally. Sites selling goods like this should not accept VISA electron, actually that something i emailed Amazon customer services about when they started delivering wine crates to people. They stopped selling it, at least in the UK. the point of VISA electron was to identify you as an underage person, so at least in high street shops you could be identified, see my meaning?

Both Solo and Electron are available to over-18's as well, I've had one since I was 20, but had a full blown Switch card previously from the age of 16. It got taken off me because the switch card would allow me to spend over my overdraft limit and I got into trouble. Now I am on a Solo card, even though my financials have improved. Does the job, so why change?

True, i had my electron card until i was 19, simply because i didn't use the account much. My thinking is we should supply only a certain type of card until you hit 18. Obviously we would have multiple kinds, electron, solo etc but make them all under 18 cards so shop keepers can readily identify under 18's. Anyone over 18 applying for such a card should be given the proper version.

It would make it easier for real life retailers and online retailers coudl easily enforce it with some simple scripts (and yes as a person working in the industry this could be done).

So anyway yes i disagree with giving children what was the adult version of such cards. It labels them as adults, at least online and that is a bad thing.

posted on Jun, 30 2008 @ 11:22 AM
link   
I don't think the concern should be 11 year old buying cigarettes. Sorry, kids will do it anyway if that's what they want to do..

I am 24 years old. I was given a credit card when I was 16, and my credit report is still screwed.

Please don't encourage more people to get stuck in such debt so young.

EDIT to add: Well, at least a DEBIT card will teach the young ones to balance a budget, instead of going all out and buying thing's they can't afford...

[edit on 30-6-2008 by LostNemesis]

posted on Jun, 30 2008 @ 04:46 PM
link   
*headdesk* you know, I don't know what is stupider. The bank sending ut these cards, or the moronic parents that are letting kids these age have these kinds of cards.

posted on Jun, 30 2008 @ 05:42 PM
link   

reply to post by Extralien

His VISA debit card takes money out of his current account. If he doesn't have it, he cannot spend it.

I beg to differ. My fiancee has a debit card through the bank with a Visa logo and he can spend money he dosen't have. It goes through a credit. Of course if he dosen't have the money in his account you go negative and then it's $34.00 dollars a day after that.

posted on Jun, 30 2008 @ 09:26 PM
link   
reply to post by stumason

All true (I suppose).
Also, if it was a credit-like card, and the children bought stuff online, and it got shipped to their house, wouldn't the parents/guardians know about it somehow? Like a mysterious package from so-and-so company happens to be for your child. That kid would be in a lot of trouble.
You can buy alcohol and cigarettes online? Didn't know that.

posted on Jul, 1 2008 @ 07:38 AM
link   
reply to post by MacSen191

That's an overdraft then, in the UK you have to apply for them and they are classed as credit so anyone under 18 coudln't get one.

posted on Jul, 1 2008 @ 09:54 AM
link   
From my understanding a debit card is merely a cash replacement, you cannot spend beyond what is present in your account (unless you have an overdraft arrangement). The concern would be that the card could be used to purchase alcohol, cigarettes perhaps even weapons with no consideration to the age of the purchaser the assumption being if you are paying by card you are 18+ which from this article is clearly shown to not be the case. What i find more concerning however is the move to a cashless society, is this an attempt by banks to get the future generations used to not having cash? In 50 years will we have any real money? Or will it all just be imaginary credit regulated by ever more secret financial institutions.

top topics

<< 1   >>

join