It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Evolutionary Purpose of the Mosquito Bite

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 29 2008 @ 08:30 PM
link   
Does anyone know the purpose of a mosquito bite having the effect of itching? I know that its a histamine response caused by the saliva of the mosquito but couldnt it just bite us without causing the itching? Is it so the host will scratch the location and expose blood making it easier for mosquito's to find it again? Couldn't this possibility be counter productive by causing an infection resulting in the death of the host?

Just curious if anyone knows.

Thanks

posted on Jun, 29 2008 @ 09:07 PM
link   
reply to post by iamcamouflage

I don't think it has any evolutionary purpose on the part of the mosquito.

My guess is that the purpose of the itch - strictly from the bitten human's (the bitee's?
) perspective - is to call attention to the bite.
(What exactly would be the purpose of THAT is another question.)

Interesting question, though.

posted on Jun, 29 2008 @ 11:33 PM
link   
Actually, the saliva from the mosquito has a localised anaesthetic quality. Often the bug will bite you, and you won't notice. Other times you'll get bit, swat it, and kill it. There's a shaping of the species right there! You have good anaesthetic saliva, you're more likely to reproduce than blatant blood stealers.

posted on Jun, 29 2008 @ 11:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by cruzion
Actually, the saliva from the mosquito has a localised anaesthetic quality. Often the bug will bite you, and you won't notice. Other times you'll get bit, swat it, and kill it. There's a shaping of the species right there! You have good anaesthetic saliva, you're more likely to reproduce than blatant blood stealers.

i think the itch is an Allergic Reaction of some kind.

not everyone itches when bit and some people feel the bite. misquitos dont make me itch and i can feel the bite. but gnats on the other hand are just the oppsite to me...

new topics

top topics

join