It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

U.S. and EU near deal on sharing data

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 28 2008 @ 12:37 PM
link   

U.S. and EU near deal on sharing data

www.iht.com

WASHINGTON: The United States and the European Union are nearing completion of an agreement that would allow law enforcement and security agencies to obtain private information - including credit card transactions, travel histories and Internet browsing habits - about people on the other side of the Atlantic Ocean.

(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jun, 28 2008 @ 12:37 PM
link   
I cant believe that european nations would agree to anything like this. The U.S. spies on its own citizens, what make the EU nations think that the U.S. would care about the rights of other countries citizens? This sets a bad precedent and opens the door for more violations of rights.

www.iht.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

[edit on 28-6-2008 by Bunch]

posted on Jun, 28 2008 @ 01:31 PM
link   
European nations are not agreeing, the last thing most of us want is the US having access to any of our private data. But we're not being asked about it, are we?

posted on Jun, 28 2008 @ 01:37 PM
link   
time to make ghost accounts..... have two accounts one you use to promote a desired user habbit an one while you surf with proxies if yer that paranoid...

its just data that doesnt really give a good picture of who you are, just how you wanted to spend your time that day...

its like they are already looking for people...... Keyword... "looking"

posted on Jun, 28 2008 @ 02:26 PM
link   
reply to post by Zepherian

What baffles me the most is that in the EU you have many countries that currently not have the best of relations with the U.S. starting with powerhouses like Germany, France and Spain and to think that the governments would agree to this it just dont make any sense to me.

posted on Jun, 28 2008 @ 02:31 PM
link   
If your worried about this . Then you don't realize that our (USA) Guberment cant even share info with itself let alone be a threat sharing with EU.

I mean really . If the CIA and FBI cant even play nice together . What makes you think that they will play nice with a country the size of one of our states (No offense . I lub you guys)

So even if this goes through . It will probably be 40 years till they actually share info on a regular basis . We all know that the states have a "false hero" complex.
Why would we give up the chance to one up someone?
(I guess we could just be trying to get info not give it..)

my 2c .....Can you spare some change?

[edit on 28-6-2008 by d11_m_na_c05]

posted on Jun, 28 2008 @ 02:52 PM
link   
It could go through , in a semi ratified fashion like the extradition treaties where some signed up members can be extradited to the US, but you can't extradite any US citizens back . Therby, in this case, EU shares (gives) data to the US , but the US wont share any back . This is the kind of deal the UK would be most likely to sign up to.

[edit on 28-6-2008 by Gun Totin Gerbil]

posted on Jun, 28 2008 @ 03:52 PM
link   
reply to post by Gun Totin Gerbil

yeah typical busterdised American bully tactics.

We want your information and rights over your citizens... but you don't get squat from us...

its a one way flow and the sooner its stopped dead and the Americans left out in the cold the better.

A one way deal is never a fair deal, and i am getting sick and tired of Americas constant want want want.

FLIPS GWBush and PNAC cohorts the bird ! ..l..

be warned though, that the patriot act already gives them avccess to the entire UK data base for finger prints and DNA... why ? its an American software company that runs the servers and data..

posted on Jun, 28 2008 @ 04:31 PM
link   
Europe is going through a fascist powergrab in much the same way the US is. It's not the people, it's a few bilderberg related parasites at the top that are selling us out. Europe is being hijacked by the elites, and this data is meant to be used in some new world order type orgranisation, of which the US is just the main military branch, I suspect. It's a symptom of global centralization, and has little to do with the classic notions of national independence, not here and not in the US.

posted on Jun, 28 2008 @ 08:26 PM
link   
reply to post by Zepherian

When I saw the headline tjat was exactly what went through my mind. Simoly because is hard for me to undrestand why this countries need to bow to the US, specially in this times when this country has lost so much influence around the world.

posted on Jun, 28 2008 @ 08:33 PM
link   
From the NYT article:

Negotiators, who have been meeting since February 2007, have largely agreed on draft language for 12 major issues central to a “binding international agreement,” the report said. The pact would make clear that it is lawful for European governments and companies to transfer personal information to the United States, and vice versa.

But the two sides are still at odds on several other matters, including whether European citizens should be able to sue the United States government over its handling of their personal data, the report said.

This reminds me of the UKUSA SIGINT agreement -- an understanding between the major players in the English-speaking world that, since governments spying on their own citizens is frowned upon, let's all just spy on each other and share the information cooperatively. You scratch my back, I'll scratch yours.

posted on Jun, 28 2008 @ 09:04 PM
link   
Well, I've posted this a couple of times, but the cat is out of the bag regarding the information age. There is no way we can stop governments and coporation accessing our data, so now we have to adapt to the reality of it. Banking institutions already share cladestinely a huge amount of data. And we have to admit there are plenty of people out there that need to have their behaviour corrected, there's tons of fraud in the western world. Problem is the top down example is not pristine either.

Like I have posted before, I think the secret to surviving this is not to fight the information age, that's pointless, but to embrace it, network quickly and share information between family and friends. There's only 3 degrees of seperation between any two people on this planet, if this is done the people of the earth can outmaneuver even something like echelon or governmental data sharing. And in the end of the days this is a grab for the dominant memes, if people stand up for themselves in the information age, sure, they will know a lot about us, but we will find out everything about them.

And the system will balance itself out, like almost everything else in nature.

posted on Jun, 29 2008 @ 03:24 AM
link   
Yeah like the militant muslims wont adapt to these new tactics, the more we announce them the more they adapt, we have been playing that game for the last 7 years and they still have the upper hand.

posted on Jun, 29 2008 @ 03:31 AM
link   
reply to post by Ian McLean

Ohhh your a spicey little number - I like it. Some one else who knows how it works.

Been trying to tell folks that it never is who you think it is doing the dirty deeds inside this country (UK) but oh no, they won't have it. Good to see another who knows how it goes down.

As for information sharing with the Americans... uhhh huh, no way. i know how they roll, and it is not pretty.

Am looking at moving outside the EU if this goes down. This is facism of the slow creeping kind.

posted on Jun, 29 2008 @ 01:48 PM
link   
You are correct.
They are close to closing the deal.

It will be only EU -> US
not EU US

new topics

top topics

join