It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

ATS member health: Does it concern you?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 27 2008 @ 09:24 PM
link   

I noticed this ad not long ago, and I started thinking, should we be more concerned with the physical health of our fellow ATS members? One of the most prevalent and growing issues with internet users is the sedentary lifestyle that leads to various physical issues such as obesity, diabetes, hemorrhoids and the ever painful 'fat butt disease'.

All joking aside, I believe that with the more commonplace modern jobs involving daily computer use, and less and less physical activity, many users end up becoming less and less healthy.

The fact is, if anything is causing the decline of the 'modern world' it's the plague of unhealthy lifestyles that we all face, and for the most part, ignore in ourselves and others. With our 'fast food nation' we're slowly dying. Conspiracy? Profit mongering?

I've made a lot of friends on this site over the years, and I'd like to think that they can remain healthy so that we can maintain friendships for a long time to come. I hope that you all can agree. So, I'd like to start this thread asking for 2 things.

1. If you're in the mood, please post your workout regiment and possible recommendations for your fellow members to stay healthy, and combat this lifestyle plaguing western culture.

2. Ask your fellow members to come and join the party!! The more we spread the word, the more people we can help fight back against this capitalist conspiracy to spread the Big Macs and french fries across the computer desks of our ATS buddies.

I'll go first:

Today, I did my standard stretches, 40 sit-ups (working on that one, so don't judge) 20 push-ups (again, don't judge) and played Wii Boxing for about 2 hours. During between match breaks, I did jumping jacks.

After boxing, I wound down with Wii tennis, Wii baseball and Wii baseball.

I finished up with 20 30lb curls on each arm.

Let us know what you're up to!

[edit on 27-6-2008 by Rasobasi420]

[edit on 27-6-2008 by Rasobasi420]

posted on Jun, 27 2008 @ 09:32 PM
link   
Ahh, Raso, my fellow ocean state bro.
Don't worry, the worst thing we could do is get off the chair and run.
We could fall, get a cramp, DIE?!?
No one ever breaks a leg reclined with the laptop.
If I want an endorphin rush, I'll climb the stairs to my room a bit faster.

I used to go to the gym daily and stressed about guilt, then one day I realized that I was wasting so much time and money trying to live up to a dumb goal. Now I move slower and more methodical. Embrace the way of the sloth Raso...

posted on Jun, 27 2008 @ 09:39 PM
link   
I go out at 5:30am and walk 2 miles everyday. I find this helps a lot!

posted on Jun, 27 2008 @ 10:13 PM
link   
reply to post by dgtempe

Perfect pic Dg. I bet a lot of people saw the same thing happen to them.

posted on Jun, 27 2008 @ 10:48 PM
link   
Pull ups are nice. I don't know why, but I feel a lot more satisfied doing pull ups than any other exercise that involves the word "up".

posted on Jun, 27 2008 @ 10:50 PM
link   
I got a work out regiment... its called a job.... Union carpenter that works 10 hours a day. Get a job like that doing concret forms and you dont need an effing work out regiment to show off for people.

I also smoke a pack a day and drink about 12 bud lights every evening after work on top of a very high carb high fat diet of pasta and steak, with a salad in the mix every once in a while.. I still maintain a healthy build @ 6'2" 200 pounds of lean mean drinking machine. You work a 10 hour day bustin ass and you'll figure out real quick that you can eat and drink what ever you want because it all gets worked off in the morning.

I golf every weekend. Thats my regimine baby.

posted on Jun, 27 2008 @ 11:05 PM
link   
I tend our huge organic vegetable garden every morning for 4 hours: deep knee bending, about 20 two gallon watercan totes for the flowerbed around the vegetable garden, weeding, harvesting, bending over planting new rows. It's a great workout with edible rewards, which are thankfully low cal.

[edit on 6/27/2008 by seentoomuch]

posted on Jun, 27 2008 @ 11:08 PM
link   
reply to post by W3RLIED2

I have a similar regime. Start the morning with coffee and surfing the weather, maybe a tweak of ATS. Little tai chi after that; soothing to the dual torn achilles. I'm a current afficiando of the work-your-ass-off-and-sweat-like-a-hog-in-the-hot-hot-sun diet. yeah. It's served me well for more than a decade. Concrete work is particularly rewarding, but a close second is blacking in a rooftop, especially that ever-popular 12/12 pitch. Self-employed, I work at home about 3 days out of the week, which is a swell boost to my blogging. I drink in excess of 2 gallons of water a day on high-energy days.

m'Bride and I swim in the sea on most weekends, and keeping the bush from overtaking our garden and happy area behind the house is a 20-hour/week job. We both work a heavy bag a few nights a week as the mood hits. Light weights/high rep. twice or three times a week. Not as trim as you....... I'm 6'1 and carrying 230. Paint me green and call me Shrek.

posted on Jun, 27 2008 @ 11:14 PM
link   
reply to post by argentus

I hear ya dude, its amazing what happens when you work in heat excess 100 degrees F. You sweat that fat right off.

I miss the ocean though, Surfing in San Diego was a lot better then working my ass of in Fresno. To be honest if i had the time or energy i would hit the gym and get huge, but after a 50 hour week all i feel like doing is eating/drinking and knockin' out for a few hours. My time spent on the internet seems to have no effect one my fitness.

posted on Jun, 27 2008 @ 11:23 PM
link   
I live in the country. I wonder how many miles a day I walk. It has been in the mid to high 90s all month and will be until Sept or Oct. There is garden work, wood to cut, fencing, animals to tend and the list goes on. This place is my gym.

Edit: sp

[edit on 6/27/2008 by roadgravel]

posted on Jun, 27 2008 @ 11:32 PM
link   
I like to take walks for 30 minutes around my neighborhood. I'll work out at the local gym every once in a while. I also like to play sports whenever I can. I like to play baseball, basketball and tennis. I also like to take martial arts lessons. I think I'm pretty healthy. I'm 5'4 and 163 pounds, and, I'm planning on losing 13 pounds. I also like to do things that don't involve screens. When I'm not using the internet or watching television or playing my Nintendo DS I'm reading.

Have I become lazier due to the internet? Probably, but, I'm just adjusting to the change that the internet has made with my lifestyle. When I was younger I was carefree and I didn't know how much of an impact the internet had on my life. I think it's good to spend some time outside the internet for my sanity.

I do think that we should worry a bit about some of the members here who come here a lot, like, the ones who have psychological issues. They shouldn't be coming here if using ATS takes too much of their time. Just look around here and you'll see people that couldn't do without ATS chat, or, like, say, some board here on BTS. Don't get me wrong I like this website, but, I'm just worried about the mental state of some of the members here. I think we all should be concerned about other member's health and how using ATS might be influencing them.

posted on Jun, 28 2008 @ 04:40 AM
link   
Martial Arts 3 times a week: 2 sessions of 1 and a half hours, and a session of 2 hours, each session including hard condition. I try to give myself a rest inbetween but I always find myself skipping in the garden Lol.
Once you become an active person it gets quite hard to stop that.

P.s this is a great thread btw.

posted on Jun, 28 2008 @ 05:40 AM
link   
It really is a wonderful thread and something I consider often - mostly about my own health, both mentally and physically, as I live a rather secluded lifestyle right now - but I do wonder about how much time some people seem to spend on here. Not judging, just wonder is all.

I usually walk, dance and move around a lot, generally, and have managed to keep a pretty nice physique through just having an active social life thus far in my life.
Since I have come to live in a foreign land however, far from all friends and fam and everything I know and love, my activities have dramatically decreased .... and I despise that aspect of my life here with a passion.

I am SO bored yet so unmotivated to really do much of anything I would normally do back home. It's just that depressing here.

I have tried, to do as I always have done, and go walkabout to explore and get to know my surroundings, but here in Japan, it's just too depressing to head out so I stay in and work out to a DVD as often as I can be motivated or dance around my living room, I clean house all the time so I get a good work out from that too but sadly that is about it for me right now. I do head to the base gym but not as regularly as I'd like. I am seriously considering hiring a personal trainer for a few months just because I feel so lazy right now.

I am surprised my rear isn't the size of this apartment yet

[edit on 28-6-2008 by ImJaded]

posted on Jun, 28 2008 @ 05:58 AM
link   
If you want to know what you are really eating then i advise you read This its a research project i did called 'What is really in our food?', some of the things i found out were amazing. We are getting a lot of bad mojo from the industry.

Fox

posted on Jun, 28 2008 @ 06:42 AM
link   
reply to post by ProTo Fire Fox

I just read through your thread there and that right there is mandatory reading for all! Great thread there Fox

I am well aware of a lot of this stuff, more so since I came to live overseas and have to eat an "American" diet.
Suffice to say, I rarely even eat these days lol I am just horrified at such ingredients found in bread and most grocery items here at our American commissary :shk:

I guess I have been lucky gene wise and diet wise living in Australia all my life up until now, I have always lived on a very healthy diet compared to what is available to me now - hence my declined appetite now

I just don't like most of it and cook with the freshest, most simple foods I can find. I would partake more in the Japanese diet but my husband is just not interested but I cook at home a lot and avoid eating out as much as possible.

*sigh*
I just wanna go home

[edit on 28-6-2008 by ImJaded]

posted on Jul, 3 2008 @ 10:50 AM
link   
T'was reading some facts from fast food nation. Honestly, what the hell is wrong with people these days? Average person has 2 cans of soft drink a day. I'm 16 and I don't have any soft drink AT ALL. Damn... As for myself, well, often I sit on my ass all day yet I still keep getting fitter... must be the age I guess with a very healthy diet? Well I hope it stays with me!!!

[edit on 3/7/2008 by C0bzz]

posted on Jul, 8 2008 @ 11:30 PM
link   
Those blow up exercise balls/ balance balls make good computer chairs. You have to stabalise your core (abs and back) while you are sitting, so you help tone your core and improve posture. Good posture alone can make you look thinner. Also, they make these exercise machines that you can use while sitting. Some of them are crap, but I am a 17 year user of the thigh master and swear by it. 5'7", 135 lbs just so you know, and I am not an athlete by far. I have always tried to do those little things every day to keep thin. I am just now trying to learn how to ride a bike at 35, isnt that awful?

edit to add- I dont drink my calories- water, diet coke, and tea. I use artificial sweeteners in my coffee. I know it isnt good for you, but it cuts a LOT of calories.

[edit on 8-7-2008 by raven bombshell]

posted on Jul, 19 2008 @ 03:35 PM
link   
I am a long time member of ATS but due to the nature of this post i am using the anonymous service i know that mods can see who i really am, but could you lease not reveal it. I'm sorry if this is the wrong thread but i cant make my own and i just wanted to tell some one, Ill admit that right now there is a tears in my eyes. I'm so sad and depressed, i used to be a normal happy guy, then as always, i met a girl; my first love. Then it ended, since that day my life has went so bad that Ive just became a shell. I'm over the girl now, all that's left is just a sad man. I don't go out much any more, Ive severed nearly all ties with old friends. I just don't know whats wrong, i feel so sad and in pain i see others and i think, if only they knew what they had. I cry a lot now when I'm alone and i don't know why. To quote Stephen fry, "im not suicidal, i just wouldn't mind dieing." You never know what you've got until its gone, how true, id give every thing i have or ever will have for just 1 hour of true happiness. Thank you for reading this, i know its not well thought out, i just wrote what i felt.

top topics

join