It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Accidental UFO HOAX

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 27 2008 @ 10:10 AM
link   
Re-Chinese combs, commonly known out of asia as "floating candles".

I feel it is important to note that many recent sightings seem to be fleets of these floating candles. I have witnessed hundreds of these (especially popular during religious festivals in Thailand, also used throughout asia). They are a poor mans fire work and hold ancient and religious signifigance. During certain weather conditions such fleets can appear to be amazingly extraterrestrial. Merging as one, stopping stationary and shooting off in drafts. They are especially visually interesting in the tropics as they rise in the evening after scorching days when electric storms are brewing high up in the athmosphere.
I have an intense interest in ufology however I do believe the current wave may be partially due to the sudden appearance of this product in Europe. Believe me when you watch a sky full off them it is very hard not to think of the heavens and beyond.
I am not suggesting these are responsible for all ufo reports, but they could freak someone out if they had never witnesssed them before. Sorry if this topic has been discussed.
Any thoughts?

posted on Jun, 27 2008 @ 12:15 PM
link   
you make some good points and a recent mod ufoflap in uk was attributable to chinese lanterns.could some techhie please post a gallery of candles,kites and lights so we can check sightings first?

posted on Jun, 27 2008 @ 12:19 PM
link   
Here is a close up of one of the red/orange orbs over Liverpool.
I have no idea what it is or why my photos turned out like this instead of showing just a big red sphere.

It was about 6-8 feet in diameter and was travelling right to left just over the rooftops and this was taken just over my next doors garden.It was defo not a lantern.

The MOD say that they are NOT Chinese Lanterns but "bouyant entities" - that they believe they are some kind of a natural plasma - But they are not sure and advise further investigation.

So I can't quite buy into the lantern theory even though I am sure that many reports are them.Pity as it's going to hinder any serious investigation.

[edit on 27-6-2008 by Did you see them]

posted on Jun, 27 2008 @ 12:55 PM
link   
reply to post by Did you see them

My theory is that people are making lanterns out of a more original material. In Thailand they are mode of tissue. However I believe if you make them from translucent foils (don't know the name) they can appear to rotate. I do think the common diamond balloons are a modern variation on the asian one. Asian combs are open at the top and base with a very light weight cylindrical frame made from thin dried cane. Hung inside is a wick doused in oil or anything flamable. The heat generated provides enough lift for a large comb to rise out of dite, which is about a kilometer in the air on a clear night.

By constructing them with more modern materials such as a light alloy wire, more advanced frames can be made, and by sealing the inner space, different behaviour can be produced. Also the introducton of remotely triggered pyrotecnics make it possible to make objects appear to be unearthly.

I am not discounting experiences of others, simply pointing out the visual effects of known hoaxing methods. I have not actually constructed one with modern materials (the thai combs have been used for hundreds of years and are visable in old temple murals) although I can easily imagine the method. I will make one and test it next time I am in civilisation where I can procure alloy wire and the necessary light weight materials.

I have personally witnessed what were undoubtably technological crafts that were not from our known arsenal of craft here on earth. It was terrifying and fascinating. I mention this so people don't think I am not a constructive sceptic.

I have noticed descriptions of orbs and mutating or living organsms (if we can call them that), have become more popular over the last few years. Tourism to South East Asia form all the places these reports seem to emminate has also increased hugely. I heard many a tourist here in Thailand talk about how they would take thai combs back with them and freak out the local village. Most forget or the fragile combs are damaged in transit.

I am not discounting descriptions of such ufos as legitimate, just pointing out the ease at which this effect could be achieved, and all for about 20 bux.

Hoaxing a large craft that is solid, silent and emits strong lights is naturally much more difficult.

I'm sure hoaxing s covered on ATS. I will film and post my attempt soon.

On a final note, regular digital video and still cameras do not do justice to thai combs. The only way to understand the real effect is to watch in person, or a film with tripod and a 3 chip camera.

Cheers.

posted on Jun, 27 2008 @ 01:05 PM
link   
My theory is that people are making lanterns out of a more original material. In Thailand they are mode of tissue. However I believe if you make them from translucent foils (don't know the name) they can appear to rotate. I do think the common diamond balloons are a modern variation on the asian one. Asian combs are open at the top and base with a very light weight cylindrical frame made from thin dried cane. Hung inside is a wick doused in oil or anything flamable. The heat generated provides enough lift for a large comb to rise out of dite, which is about a kilometer in the air on a clear night.

By constructing them with more modern materials such as a light alloy wire, more advanced frames can be made, and by sealing the inner space, different behaviour can be produced. Also the introducton of remotely triggered pyrotecnics make it possible to make objects appear to be unearthly.

I am not discounting experiences of others, simply pointing out the visual effects of known hoaxing methods. I have not actually constructed one with modern materials (the thai combs have been used for hundreds of years and are visable in old temple murals) although I can easily imagine the method. I will make one and test it next time I am in civilisation where I can procure alloy wire and the necessary light weight materials.

I have personally witnessed what were undoubtably technological crafts that were not from our known arsenal of craft here on earth. It was terrifying and fascinating. I mention this so people don't think I am not a constructive sceptic.

I have noticed descriptions of orbs and mutating or living organsms (if we can call them that), have become more popular over the last few years. Tourism to South East Asia form all the places these reports seem to emminate has also increased hugely. I heard many a tourist here in Thailand talk about how they would take thai combs back with them and freak out the local village. Most forget or the fragile combs are damaged in transit.

I am not discounting descriptions of such ufos as legitimate, just pointing out the ease at which this effect could be achieved, and all for about 20 bux.

Hoaxing a large craft that is solid, silent and emits strong lights is naturally much more difficult.

I'm sure hoaxing s covered on ATS. I will film and post my attempt soon.

On a final note, regular digital video and still cameras do not do justice to thai combs. The only way to understand the real effect is to watch in person, or a film with tripod and a 3 chip camera.

Cheers.

posted on Jun, 27 2008 @ 01:14 PM
link   
Sorry, after reading my description I realise I have not been concise. Thai combs are closed at the top, infact they are virtually a large tissue condom with a single cane diaphram framing the base. The wick is held centrally within the comb by a very light weight wire or cane axis. My point was if they were made of a light translucent foil and slightly modifies they could appear like your vid. Only prob is at this resolution I can't really tell. We made some party decorations like this. I'll see if I can find footage and demonstrate the similar effect. I am not trying to debunk such vids, just cncerned that an easy hoax may be coming a fad in the UK, and if it is exposed in the media, ufology will go back to been ridiculed at every chance.
Thanks

posted on Jun, 27 2008 @ 01:58 PM
link   
Chinese lanterns, Thai lanterns, fire lanterns, sky lanterns, Khoom Fay, Khom Loy, whatever you wanna call 'em are sold by the thousand on eBay. Many are marketed as 'UFOs' and state that they are often mistaken for ET phenomena.

Here's an example. Note how many people are buying them. Nothing like UFO mania (thanks to the Sun newspaper in the UK) for selling this stuff.

Scroll to the bottom for a video of the launch/flight. Very impressive to the impessionable eh.

WG3

[edit on 27-6-2008 by waveguide3]

posted on Jun, 27 2008 @ 07:15 PM
link   
The company UFO-balloons
sold 75,000 units in 2007 only in Europe according to a French ufologist who has been researching the origin of the UFO flap in Germany.

posted on Jun, 27 2008 @ 09:55 PM
link   
That's why I urge all people to remain skeptical to a certain extent. Strange lights in the sky are just that. Not necessarily aliens or secret government vehicles.

Skeptic - One who practices the method of suspended judgment, engages in rational and dispassionate reasoning as exemplified by the scientific method, shows willingness to consider alternative explanations without prejudice based on prior beliefs, and who seeks out evidence and carefully scrutinizes its validity.
ufoskeptic

Good post OP

posted on Sep, 5 2008 @ 05:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by serpentine
Re-Chinese combs, commonly known out of asia as "floating candles".

I feel it is important to note that many recent sightings seem to be fleets of these floating candles. I have witnessed hundreds of these (especially popular during religious festivals in Thailand, also used throughout asia). They are a poor mans fire work and hold ancient and religious signifigance. During certain weather conditions such fleets can appear to be amazingly extraterrestrial. Merging as one, stopping stationary and shooting off in drafts. They are especially visually interesting in the tropics as they rise in the evening after scorching days when electric storms are brewing high up in the athmosphere.

I have an intense interest in ufology however I do believe the current wave may be partially due to the sudden appearance of this product in Europe. Believe me when you watch a sky full off them it is very hard not to think of the heavens and beyond.

I am not suggesting these are responsible for all ufo reports, but they could freak someone out if they had never witnesssed them before. Sorry if this topic has been discussed.

Aliens DO VISIT THIS EARTH IN CRAFT ON MANY DIMENSIONS. I have no proof although I am well studied and have seen craft that defy all modern terrestrail barriers.

THE THING WE HAVE DESIGNED AND ARE IN THE PROCESS OF BUILDING will freak everyone out. However the reason we do it is purely to test the boundaries of what a kid come come up with.

I think there are a lot of Banksy style hoaxes out there doing it for the thrill. I enjoy the design side. At present my engineers and budget have evaporated, although I think the project will be back in the sky soon.

In the 70's, we sold photos of frisbees to newspapers. I hope kids these days are taking advantage of new lo tec tech and also constructing craft.

I will post the video to demonstrate.

NIGHT LIGHT SIGHTINGS ARE often mistaken identity. They are too easy to haox and have been since the late '70s.

Day time film evidence is much harder to debunk.

Healthy skeptical fun!

posted on Sep, 5 2008 @ 05:40 PM
link   
I have a suggestion. I have become aware of our local upper air currents. I'm a weather geek, but this falls more to outdoor observational skills than weather surfing. I've learned somewhat to read the clouds and patterns and formations and have an idea what to expect and what a shift in predominant wind might suggest.

I suggest everyone take more time to do what comes naturally to us -- getting to know observable phenomenon. I also regularly use the fine services of www.heavens-above.com, to know when known objects are visible -- satellites, iridium flares, ISS, etc.

If I see something travelling with the general wind patterns, even if it is amazing looking, it will be difficult to speculate it is a terrestrial drifting object.

If I see something that is not scheduled, and travels contrary to upper level winds, it really catches my attention. On the rare occasion when bright objects in the sky make right-angle or sudden course corrections.... well, those are the golden moments. Those are UFOs, in every sense of the definition.

Cheers

[edit on 5-9-2008 by argentus]

posted on Sep, 5 2008 @ 05:53 PM
link   
Wise words weather geek.

What did you make of the ufo in the cyclone. Pics published a few mnts back. Daytime. Dunno if the originals were studied. But he terrifying image of a craft sitting stationary near the eye of a twister was a killer. If the phots is a still from the video, and it is not a hoax, it is amazing evidence.
My tinfoil kytes can't go near cyclones, even with allt there balast and helium compartments. They only fly well with the wind.

new topics

top topics

join