It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why is the Government telling me how to treat my body?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 27 2008 @ 02:15 AM
link   
So I have been thinking for awhile, whi is it that the government has a say in how I treat MY body?

Ponder this with me. We HAVE to wear seatbelts, we cant do drugs like cannabis, we cant commit suicide.

Im sure there is PLENTY PLENTY more examples but those few strike me as the best examples.

It is my choice whether I live or die, not the governments. Why would I give that power to someone else?

Its my choice to use drugs ESPECIALLY if they arent harming anyone, or causing me to harm anyone. Cannabis doesnt harm anyone and it doesnt make me want to harm anyone either, so why is it their choice that I can do it or not?

Again my body my choice so why is it against the law to not wear a seat belt?

We are letting the government take control of too may factions of our eveyday lives. I am against this because think of all they could do with the power to decide what we get to do to us.

posted on Jun, 27 2008 @ 02:29 AM
link   
It's a strange situation. I'm sure there are some nuts on here who would disagree but the Government are telling you to wear your seatbelt, not take illegal drugs etc truely in your best interests. As both car accidents and drugs kill thousands each year, they want to minimise that risk. The reason that it's a strange situation is that they always have profit in mind e.g the commercial selling of cigarettes.

posted on Jun, 27 2008 @ 02:40 AM
link   
Ok that makes some sense but its my body so it should be my choice and whatever happens is a result of my choice.

posted on Jun, 27 2008 @ 04:01 AM
link   
reply to post by caballero

Everything is your choice, what the government is prohibiting you can do or not do. Wouldn't matter if you were in prison or if you were "the king of the world", you are judge, the government is the jury. You have to remember also, I believe, that there are cost's in ambulance/care flight, morgue, funeral & cremation/casket costs, just to name a few, that the tax payers pay for if there are no relatives to claim you or if you are unidentifiable. I know that caskets alone are not cheap $1500-$3000. An ambulance ride I think is around $15,000 or so plus the firetruck at around another $20,000. If care flight is called, over $100,000. A lot of people have to go into action just to take care of what you would leave behind, or same thing if you don't wear your seat belt and get hurt. You would want to die once you saw the bill.
Maybe those could be a few reasons. Peace

posted on Jun, 27 2008 @ 04:16 AM
link   
Because the government (and people who support it) do not believe it is actually YOUR body. They believe it actually belongs to the government, you are just using it. The same goes for your children.

It has nothing to do with "the price of medical care". It has to do with people craving power and control, and another set of people craving security above all all. Both sets are little more than children in their own way.

posted on Jun, 28 2008 @ 08:10 AM
link   
I actually agree with a number of those things you mentioned. I don't want to take drugs not because of what the government says but because I know first hand that it can cause bad effects to people who take them. I know not to commit suicide because I want to live. I know to wear a seat-belt when I drive. I know it would be dangerous to call someone on a cell-phone while driving a car. Some of these things make sense. But yeah, I imagine that if you really wanted to do drugs you would do them anyways whether the government tells you it's okay to do drugs or not.

top topics

join