It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why so much vitriol?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 26 2008 @ 02:58 PM
link   
I thought about posting this on a thread, then realized....it's about Board Business, and manners....and, I could just care less about the points I might earn, by starting a thread.

So....I've seen, in my short time here on ATS, a lot of hate, and venom spewed. I've also found my share of friends, though never have met them face-to-face, they still are deemed, in my eyes, as friends.

I am just asking, WHY is there so much hate being spouted, lately??

Seems to be a recent devolpement. WHY? I ask....

posted on Jun, 26 2008 @ 03:47 PM
link   
reply to post by weedwhacker

From what I can gather, there are cycles to this - that and the fact that ATS has grown a LOT and may be attracting people with an agenda.

In some ways, it's the price of "fame"

But look on the bright side - there are lots of quality members coming in as well, who provide very intelligent and insightful input.

Also, it's exam time, summer hols coming up, and the start of "silly season" which I remember well from last year.

Judicious use of the ignore button is the way I go when some members get too far up my nose

As long as excellent members like yourself can keep it civil, there are still great discussions to be had.

posted on Jun, 26 2008 @ 06:17 PM
link   
Probably some people are real wussys in real life and do not express there frustrations, so they do it online. My Mom taught me that "If you do not have something nice to say, do not say anything at all." Not that I have followed that rule always. It is easier and more fun to be nice and make friends.

Peace!

posted on Jun, 26 2008 @ 06:29 PM
link   
Hey WW.
For those who may be interested in a partial explanation I just started this thread.
WW you are s&fed

Apparently I can't star you, but you're still flagged.

[edit on 26-6-2008 by schrodingers dog]

posted on Jun, 26 2008 @ 06:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by weedwhacker

I am just asking, WHY is there so much hate being spouted, lately??

Seems to be a recent devolpement. WHY? I ask....

From my perspective, I find the atmosphere here much nicer than when I
first joined. There are a few folks that get a little worked up and it's obvious that they hate their opposition, but the namecalling, like "tulipwalker" and worse, seems to have diminished.

I once had a member u2u me and tell me that he would shove my keyboard up my butt until I **** semi colons. I thought that was pretty clever although mean spirited. That type of thing hasn't happened to me in years.

I kind of miss it in a perverse sort of way. I like edgy confrontations. And like cindymars said, it's just macho web swagger. Don't mean nuthin really.

posted on Jun, 26 2008 @ 06:42 PM
link   

Why so much vitriol?

Hmmm... let's see.

ATS is growing, many a school are recently "out" for the summer, it's an election year [bingo], and the world around us may appear to a significant % of the membership as being in it's last and or final stage(s). You decide.

Me? I'm betting that it's Moar a result of the overall growth and election year aspect/influence, as opposed to "the world will end tomorrow"-ists vibrating to a higher frequency.

In the end, take from it what you will... each and every on their own merit or lack thereof.

Otherwise, your "circuits" will cross and self-implosion will occur. With regards the latter, it's not a matter of "IF" but "WHEN".

'tween now and early-mid '09, I foresee dramatic if not significant changes in both the political and societal landscapes here in the states.

$.02

posted on Jun, 26 2008 @ 06:43 PM
link   

to me all the hate seems to be linked to political posts that used to be on pts but now part of ats so you see it more and the fact that there seems to be more trash being typed with the more members we get, but im guilty of it to. i just type the first thing that comes to mind.

posted on Jun, 26 2008 @ 06:44 PM
link   
Why? The American people are feed up and confused. They expect their representatives to work FOR them but in fact they are the paid whores of the special interests in this country. The American people have lost their voice and they lost it YEARS ago. It's a sad downward spiral that has no end in site and this will continue until there's a change in this once great country.

posted on Jun, 26 2008 @ 07:32 PM
link   
I started another thread with tis post but I thought I would just move the whole thing here for the sake of simplicity.

Buried Prejudice: The Bigot in Your Brain

Over the last few weeks I have observed what seems to me to be an increased number of prejudiced and hate filled posts. These usually revolve around the issue of race, religion, sexual orientation, and/or presidential politics. The mods are amazing at removing the truly offensive ones, but a lot of them are masked within a thinly veiled attempt of pretense to a valid opinion. This of course has nothing to do with ATS, it is but a microcosm of society at large.
I have often wondered what makes people so extreme in their fears and hates. It is too easy to dismiss them with a passing insult. In many ways this dismissal would be symptomatic of the same attitude we are attributing to them.
I did a little research on this topic and found the enclosed long yet comprehensive article.
It is by no means the final word on this complicated topic.
But I thought it might shed at least partial light on this fundamental societal issue.

Key Concepts:

Subliminal Stereotyping

All of us hold unconscious clichéd beliefs about social groups: black and white, female and male, elderly and young, gay and straight, fat and thin.

Such implicit bias is far more prevalent than the more overt, or explicit, prejudice that we associate with, for instance, the Ku Klux Klan or the Nazis.

Certain social scenarios can automatically activate implicit stereotypes and attitudes, which then can affect our perceptions, judgments and behavior, including the choice of whom to befriend, whom to hire and, in the case of doctors, what treatment to deliver.

Recent research suggests we can reshape our implicit attitudes and beliefs—or at least curb their effects on our behavior.

The full article can be found here.

There are also good links on the article page for further exploration.

[edit on 26-6-2008 by schrodingers dog]

posted on Jun, 26 2008 @ 10:28 PM
link   
reply to post by schrodingers dog

schrodinger.....that is a great post, would star it if I could.

So far though, I've only seen compliments. This is Board Biz, no harm, no foul....within limits, of course. I don't get points if you post, so if you disagree, have at me!!

Think of me as the Knight who says 'Wi'!!

"Only a flesh wound!", I say. "But, your arm is off!", you say. "That", I say...."but is just a minor cut".

and....."I got better"......

Budski knows wherof I speak.....

posted on Jun, 26 2008 @ 10:42 PM
link   

It's probably because people are having a difficult time making ends meet with the high gas prices. Our economy is a little weird these days and weird things are happening in the legal system. Who knows what pressure some posters are under at this time. With this many livlihoods being destroyed, people are thrashing out and sometimes hurting the innocent.Even worse some of those who are secure instead showing compassion for the down trodden they are becoming arrogant and cruel.The blame the victim mentality is alive and well in those especially who aren't brave enough to face misfortune.

[edit on 26-6-2008 by eradown]

posted on Jun, 26 2008 @ 11:19 PM
link   
One word, "EGO" fandango. Maybe two words.

When know it alls gather, fights breakout rather easily. The one that seems to be going around most is the firm, post a link to your words.

Politeness seems to be a judgment swept aside by most people when they feel there ego is bumped by some one making a statement the sufferer can't seem to handle. Instead of google the information, they want it handed to them as if they absolutely deserve it.

posted on Jun, 26 2008 @ 11:25 PM
link   
Okies I only called one member a racist spawn of satan ONE TIME...I swear I'l never do it again
even though my whole being cries out....but I think the elections have really riled folks up...I have NEVER seen the level of interest (or panic) in the election process as we have at the moment in all my 58 years on Planet Crazed...also I am getting used to being challenged - and to be honest have toned down my own rhetoric...its so easy to get pulled into a tit for tat verbal battle but that accomplishes zip-nada except bruised egos and a trashed discussion...experience is a great teacher...

posted on Jun, 26 2008 @ 11:28 PM
link   
reply to post by eradown

Thank you eradown. I found that post thought-provoking.

posted on Jun, 26 2008 @ 11:31 PM
link   
reply to post by realshanti

realshanti.....I think your response sums it up quite well.

Thanks.

posted on Jun, 26 2008 @ 11:31 PM
link   
I was going to post that sentiment era almost word for word. People are tripping under extreme pressures how to pay for gas, get to their tenuous jobs and pay five bucks for a gallon of milk.

Or it could be Hillary supporter 'pant suit' withdrawals.

And it's 'ketchup' WW

posted on Jun, 26 2008 @ 11:37 PM
link   
reply to post by jpm1602

NO, jpm....it's "Catsup"!!!!!

Or, can we agree to compromise....let's call it 'catch up'.

An old joke, one you can actually tell to your children. "What did the Mother tomato say to the baby tomatoes? "Catch Up!!"

OK, with salmonella around, maybe not as funny....but we are told that Vine-on and Cherry tomatoes are OK!! 'Course, they're also the most expensive....hmmmmmmm......

posted on Jun, 26 2008 @ 11:53 PM
link   

WW, dear lord,
I go away to walk my bulldog and come back to find you rambling endlessly.
Get yourself together man.

Now the answer to all this is simple: Resent everyone equally!
No prejudice, just a general and ongoing contempt for all that is human.
The thing to remember is:
Expectations are the building blocks of disappointment!

posted on Jun, 27 2008 @ 12:12 AM
link   

It's Board Biz, SD.....

Bulldog, huh? I'm a cat person (no offense).

yeah, I like dogs too....so, how am I ranting, exactly??
*edit*
Oh....not ranting...."rambling endlessly".... so sorry

[edit on 6/27/0808 by weedwhacker]

posted on Jun, 27 2008 @ 12:16 AM
link   

second for SD.....you walk your dog at, like midnight????

That's abusive, man!!

dogs like any and all attention, unless they just want to sleep....

edit because certain keyboard characters are reserved for mods....so I'll try again.....[kidding]....hope it works this time.

Cheers!!

[edit on 6/27/0808 by weedwhacker]

top topics

join