It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Airbus unveils carbon fibre plane

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 26 2008 @ 04:31 AM
link   

It has been 26 years in the making. Arguments have raged between Europe's capitals over its design, its cost and where it should be built

But later, in Seville, the King of Spain will unveil the Airbus A400M, built for air forces across Europe including the RAF.

BBC

Looks and interesting Aircraft but what is the expected lifespan of carbon fiber when exposed to things like Ultra violet radiation and other real world things? and how would carbon wings stand up to a bird strike at speed?

posted on Jun, 26 2008 @ 07:23 AM
link   
We'll find out the answers to your questions on the Airbus A400M, Airbus A350XWB and Boeing 787.

I don't expect to see any difference with regards UV radiation, as that is a resin problem, not a fibre problem. Since Glass based fibres have been used for ages, I assume the resins are sorted.

A CF wing will be much stronger than equivalent weight aluminium in any anticipated scenario.

posted on Jun, 26 2008 @ 07:31 AM
link   
If you have a piece of carbon fibre that is the same weight as a similar peice of aluminium or such material, the carbon fibre will be far stronger. Therefore you can make a component with eqaul strength that is far lighter when you use carbon fibre. The major drawback is the cost.

posted on Jun, 26 2008 @ 07:45 AM
link   
Ummmmm whats the news here? The A400M has been around for close to 4 years now and the fact that it is using carbon fiber almost just as long.

www.abovetopsecret.com...

Also they have finally rolled MSN001 out to the public today and images are on the above thread.

[edit on 26-6-2008 by Canada_EH]

posted on Jun, 26 2008 @ 08:01 AM
link   

Originally posted by Canada_EH
Ummmmm whats the news here? The A400M has been around for close to 4 years now and the fact that it is using carbon fiber almost just as long.

www.abovetopsecret.com...

Also they have finally rolled MSN001 out to the public today and images are on the above thread.

[edit on 26-6-2008 by Canada_EH]

it's news to me . starred and flagged . please post any other finds that you come across for the people like myself who might not be as up to date on these kinds of things .

posted on Jun, 26 2008 @ 08:05 AM
link   

Originally posted by Sloth
If you have a piece of carbon fibre that is the same weight as a similar peice of aluminium or such material, the carbon fibre will be far stronger. Therefore you can make a component with eqaul strength that is far lighter when you use carbon fibre. The major drawback is the cost.

To an extent it is true that carbon is stronger than metal, however iirc the strength only goes in certain directions depending on the way the weave has been layed? isn't that why Formula One cars are able to hit high kerbs on the tracks at very high speed without breaking their suspension wishbones but as soon as they tough a car infront with one of their wheels and impose some force from a different direction they tend to shatter?

posted on Jun, 26 2008 @ 08:09 AM
link   
Thats fine that its news to you but the fact that I'm stating is that if you enjoy getting this type of news or know more about the project please see the thread linked. Its also the fact that if solidshot had done a simple search for A400M he would of seen that a thread was already in existence and then added his news to the relevant thread. Personally its my impression that ATS likes to keep as few thread on the same subject and looks to get those who want to discuss a subject posting on the same thread especially when the other is still active.

posted on Jun, 26 2008 @ 08:14 AM
link   
Please add to existing discussion : Here

Thanks

Thread Closed

top topics

join