It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why haven't we had a nuclear war yet?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 26 2008 @ 03:59 AM
link   
Other countries have nukes and they hate us. The soviets had nukes and they could have destroyed us if they attacked us at the right time. Yet why didn't they? Why has no country launched a nuke at us?

posted on Jun, 26 2008 @ 04:03 AM
link   
Nuclear War? Thats a huge step for anybody. Probably the main reason is because starting a Nuclear War would have MASSIVE casualties/consequences, and nobody wants to be held responsable.. ? Im actually not really sure, could be a number of things? Price?

Anyway just my thoughts

posted on Jun, 26 2008 @ 04:10 AM
link   
Because cool, level headed people like this were manning the screens:

en.wikipedia.org...

That's just one example. Most close calls were due to faulty equipment. Reading about a few of those are pretty scary.

posted on Jun, 26 2008 @ 04:16 AM
link   
Assuming the all-powerful elite are in control of everything, they still need to use America until it's dry to the bone. It's working so well as a tool/weapon/money-maker that it is more profitable to keep America alive. As to what would happen when this country is reaped for all its worth... then you would have your answer.

posted on Jun, 26 2008 @ 04:16 AM
link   
My personal belief is that the moment any of the "Big Movers and Shakers" launched them at their targets their targets would launch back at them and probably also at their own other targets who in turn would pick up the incoming strike and retaliate and this Chain Reaction would occur for all the Nuclear powers.

For example lets say Israel nukes Iran or some middle eastern zone, Russia and/or China nukes Israel that action would have USA, UK and possibly France launch at Russia and/or China. Causing Russia and/or China to retaliate against France, UK and USA, likely during this time targets of opportunity would be struck for vendetta sakes like Nuclear powers flinging lesser yield nukes to countries they aren't on good standing with (Like USA nuking Cuba or one of the "Axis of Evil" countries like North Korea, Russia flinging some at Germany or perhaps China nuking Japan or Australia).

During this time India and Pakistan would probably fling what they have at each other. Afterall Once the Major powers start flinging them around with the sole intent of wiping out the rival powers there is no need to save some for a later date, might as well fire as many as you can and hope for the best.

But again that is my belief

posted on Jun, 26 2008 @ 04:18 AM
link   
I think no one yet as launch a nuclear war for the reason that who ever strike nuc to another country will sign the desolation of his own country for many years after.
In another word if some country instigate a nuclear war this country will go down the hill for century to come.
So no one is foolish to involve their country to the sombre and darker future this nation will never experience.
Kacou.

posted on Jun, 26 2008 @ 04:21 AM
link   
reply to post by mattguy404

I made a thread in January 2006 about him, after he received his World Citizen Award.

Averted Nuclear War And Received World Citizen Award

posted on Jun, 26 2008 @ 05:17 AM
link   
In my opinion a nuclear war would be a no win situation. It would be the end of our world as we know it.

Even if you were prepared to stay underground for a year there would be nothing pleasant to look forward to when you emerged from you hole.

Money and the possession of is a great motivator. A nuclear war would void all the time and effort put into the building of empires. We peons would not be around to purchase anything. Greed is a good deterrent to nuclear war.

Yes, I agree that many of our world leaders seem a bit off balance and hot headed. They are not stupid. They are not ignorant. They all know the consequences of an all out nuclear war.

To summarize in a more simple way.......I and many of my friends have carried personal weapons all of our lives. I have at least one pistol in each of my vehicles and always carry one in my purse. I have done so since I was 18 in 1965. Having been a bit on the wild side I've been in some very tight situations. I've made some enemies capable of ending my life. My enemies and I both knew that each of us had the power to kill each other. I'm still alive and most of my enemies are too. We knew it was a no win situation.

Walk tall and carry a big stick has been my general method of operation all my life. It's the same thing we and other countries are doing. There is a lot of growling going on but I'm betting the farm that there won't be any biting.

posted on Jun, 26 2008 @ 11:59 AM
link   

Originally posted by Frankidealist35
Why has no country launched a nuke at us?

It’s not why but when and in this case it’s a matter of time. However, I wouldn't worry about a country vs country confrontation in the future. There’s some radical group (Foreign or Domestic) out there waiting to detonate a nuke on US soil. I don’t think our economy would be able to handle another 9-11 or worse. Cripple the US economy and we’ll be out of the global ball game for quite some time.

Edit for grammar

[edit on 26-6-2008 by En4cer]

posted on Jun, 26 2008 @ 12:36 PM
link   
The reason is simpler than expected. Many of the people in power to make the decision for a nuclear war - realistically a war between the former USSR and the USA - had fought in WW2 and knew what real war is all about.

Only until Clinton, as President, has the US had no one of that generation who knows what a real shooting war is. On the Russian side, Mikhail Gorbachev was the last leader of the USSR ( it fell apart during his watch ) was born before WW2, but would have remembered the Great Patriotic War.

These cold warriors on both sides knew what a real war was and is. The generation that we have now know war only from Vietnam or even the middle east. This is/was not war on a scale that even compares with nothing related to WW2. More U.S. Marines died on individual islands of the Pacific than total solder deaths in Iraq after 5 years.

As this old mind set disappears with new thinkers and leaders, a nuclear war becomes much more viable. This is the concern all people should worry about.

posted on Jun, 26 2008 @ 12:38 PM
link   
Nukes are a last resort. There are other means, be it talks or other forms of attacks that can be utilized before coming to the solution of "launch the nukes", plus there's so many countries that have a nuclear weapons supply. The last thing this world needs is a hole down the middle.

new topics

top topics

join