It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Study finds Arctic seabed afire with lava-spewing volcanoes

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 26 2008 @ 02:45 AM
link   
www.canada.com...

The Arctic seabed is as explosive geologically as it is politically judging by the "fountains" of gas and molten lava that have been blasting out of underwater volcanoes near the North Pole.

"Explosive volatile discharge has clearly been a widespread, and ongoing, process," according to an international team that sent unmanned probes to the strange fiery world beneath the Arctic ice.

They returned with images and data showing that red-hot magma has been rising from deep inside the earth and blown the tops off dozens of submarine volcanoes, four kilometres below the ice. "Jets or fountains of material were probably blasted one, maybe even two, kilometres up into the water," says geophysicist Robert Sohn of the Woods Hole Oceanographic Institution, who led the expedition.
Chunks of broken sea floor rock, or "talus ejecta" and large-grain pyroclastic deposits cover an outer slope of the Oden volcano on the seabed floor near the North Pole.
Chunks of broken sea floor rock, or "talus ejecta" and large-grain pyroclastic deposits cover an outer slope of the Oden volcano on the seabed floor near the North Pole.

MOD EDIT: large external copy/paste

Please do not create minimal posts to start your new thread. If you feel inclined to make the board aware of news, current events, or important information from other sites; please post one or two paragraphs, a link to the entire story, AND your opinion, twist or take on the news item as a means to inspire discussion or collaborative research on your subject.

[edit on 27-6-2008 by DontTreadOnMe]

posted on Jun, 26 2008 @ 02:46 AM
link   
You kind of have to wonder just how many volcanoes are going off that we don't know about...

no wonder the oceans are getting acidic.

posted on Jun, 26 2008 @ 04:00 AM
link   
Flagged, Well that might go a long way toward explaining arctic melting.

I do wonder why the Earth is so active recently.

I read that global warming is causing weight redistribution on the Earth's crust, I wonder if it acts like a feedback loop, more melting, more volcanic activity, more melting . . .

posted on Jun, 26 2008 @ 04:39 AM
link   
Not too long ago the earth was rather pear-shaped or egg shaped. Now it is pumpkin shaped as if some mischievous deity is pressing down on the poles with thumb and finger.

This information does go a long way into explaining the Arctic melt off. I wonder if there is as much volcanic or seismic activity in Antarctica now too.

posted on Jun, 26 2008 @ 01:09 PM
link   
global volcanogenic warming then?

are people really so naive to think that i or any half awake person will believe them that they just kept 'overlooking' an entire array of volcanoes below the arctic ice shield while shouting global warming at us?

volcanoes are neither silent nor passive. every single one of them must have known it. damn snake oil peddlers.

posted on Jun, 26 2008 @ 01:19 PM
link   
Pole shift related as we approach galaxy center in 2012? seeing how the poles have been wobbiling.....?

posted on Jun, 30 2008 @ 07:12 AM
link   
reply to post by pynner

This is just the information we're not going to hear in the mainstream as the cause for global warming because the revelation would be that the governments of the world are powerless to do anything about it. This undersea volcanic activity is definitiely occurring along all the mid-ocean rift zones in the world. The idea that "green house gasses" are warming the oceans is ludicrous and contrary to the basics of heat transfer I learned in high school physics 30 years ago. If that were the case we would all be Kentucky fried chicken before poles melted to any appreciable point, even though climatologists are expecting the worst by predicting that this may even occur this year. The oceans are heating, which creates more frequent and more catastrophic weather along coastlines, where 90% of the world's population is concentrated. Tornadoes strengthen and are more frequent, one of many signs that the earth is coming under greater electrical stress from the sun.

I believe that the sun is directly responsible for our changing climate, though in a way radically different from what we have been taught. The earth is heated from within by a dynamic energy-to-matter conversion process, a process already detected as occuring as a heating of all the planets in the solar system. This is directly linked to the sun. The lack of sunspots of our currently quiet sun may indicate that solar output is not being vented through these "release valves", but rather being absorbed, or buffered, by the other planetary bodies in a transfer of electrical energy.

The earth has been expanding for 180 million years as a result of this process. There are several websites that discuss the data backing up this idea. There is no need to get into elaborate tectonic theory, Pangaea, subduction and the like as a means to describe what has occurred to our planet and continues to do so. If the earth is shrunk to 60% of its current size, the continental plates form a nicely fit spherical puzzle. They got it partly right with the idea of Pangaea, but that model just doesn't fit the data. Paleontologists have long recognized that the skeletal structures of the dinosaurs would not support themselves in the current conditions of gravity on earth, but would have done so if the earth were smaller in diameter. This is just one of many red flags that torpedo mainstream beliefs about geodynamics.

My supposition hinges on the powerfully predictive and descriptive modeling of an electric universe. See holoscience.com and re educate yourselves. We are on the verge of a much needed overhaul in our thinking.

posted on Jun, 30 2008 @ 07:33 AM
link   
I read an interesting article which is somewhat connected to this issue.
The writer claims that energy from our explosions and nuclear tests did not dissipate into space but went into the ground and eventually into the molten core. The core,according to him, consists of molten metals and is behaving like Jupiter's atmosphere - there are hurricanes,spots and "climate". Since it is molten and very thick it has thixotropic (like toothpaste - you apply pressure on the tube and only then stuff liquefies. Without pressure it is solid) properties so our pressure from the explosions makes it even more liquid in those spots. It creates vortexes, breaks normal "climate" patterns and such.
He also claims that this processes are responsible both for magnetic field fluctuations (since it is created by this spinning core) and for warming (warming from below) due to more friction and chaotic behavior throughout the core.

I can find this article again,but it is in Russian. He proves it with formulas but i cannot judge if it is a correct stuff since l lack knowledge about this. What was written in words was quit convincing, but still i do not say that it is one or even main reason.
Edit!!!
Found he translated some of his stuff into English and sent it to UN.
vladimir-shenderov.narod.ru...

[edit on 30-6-2008 by ZeroKnowledge]

top topics

join