It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

WAKE UP! George Orwell's 1984 Becoming a Reality!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 25 2008 @ 02:27 PM
link   
For those of my fellow ATS-ers who have never read George Orwell's 1984, I will give you a brief synopsis. The story takes place in a time where virtually all civil liberties are gone. A ruling party, "Big Brother" is the grand dictator of a country where everything is monitored and there is no such thing as privacy. Even ill thoughts and dreams towards Big Brother, referred to as "thoughtcrime", are punishable; and blind thoughtless devotion to the party is the law. Well ladies and gentlemen, I am here to tell you that this world, this negative-utopia, is about to begin. Most have not even noticed it, as it has been disguised under "tools to fight terrorism".

an example:

news.bbc.co.uk...

There are up to 4.2m CCTV cameras in Britain - about one for every 14 people. But surveillance ranges from US security agencies monitoring telecommunications traffic passing through Britain, to key stroke information used to gauge work rates and GPS information tracking company vehicles, the Report on the Surveillance Society says. It predicts that by 2016 shoppers could be scanned as they enter stores, schools could bring in cards allowing parents to monitor what their children eat, and jobs may be refused to applicants who are seen as a health risk.

You're being watched, and you may not even know it.

another:

www.haaretz.com...

Israeli company develops radar system that sees through walls- It's not easy to locate Camero's offices in the Kfar Neter industrial zone, but it may have just gotten easier. The startup has developed a system that allows users to see through walls.

Soon you wont be the only one that knows what you're doing at 2 in the morning in front of the computer with your pants at your knees..

and another:

www.news.com.au...

THE Pentagon has approved $US6.7 million ($7m) to develop binoculars that would tap a user's brainwaves to home in on threats. Northrop Grumman Corporation said today it was leading an academic and industry consortium for the project, known as the Cognitive Technology Threat Warning System program, or CT2WS. The plan featured a custom helmet equipped with electrodes placed on the scalp to record neural responses to the presence or absence of potential threats, Northrop said.

I know right now it only detects brainwaves, but how hard would it be to change it to detect a certain threatening brainwave.. sound like the beginning of thoughtcrime detection to any of you?

Look, i know some of this may sound like a stretch, but I just look at things a little differently with the way that this world is going right now

I just wanted to see what you guys and gals thought of this. Am I just paranoid fear mongering? Or do you think I may be on to something here?

-J

posted on Jun, 25 2008 @ 03:34 PM
link   
I'm pleased to announce that The Above Politics Show will be interviewing Beverly Harris some time later next month. She's the reformer who speaks out against electronic voting machines, and the many ways that your vote can be stolen through wireless technologies.

Post your questions in this thread.

posted on Jun, 25 2008 @ 03:41 PM
link   
In the fairly large village there are 8 cameras, I know the locations of all of them and 6 of them are around a local pub and sports ground which is understandable. Such statistics like these are used to make people fear the cameras, but why have you a need to fear them if you have done nothing wrong? This "1 for every 14 people" may be a truthful statistic but most of these cameras will be around palces like banks and airports which is understandable. Say for instance, a camera was meant to be put in place in a train station to check for suspicious behaviour, but it was decided by the local council not to put it there, and a suicide bomber went there and set of the bomb and killed a large group of people, the council would get complained to for not having a camera there to notice the sucide bomber. But say they did install the camera they would get accused of "spying" on citizens and being a "big Brother".
Either way its a lose-lose situation for the council, I know I would rather the camera be there and no one die.

My two pennies

posted on Jun, 26 2008 @ 01:26 AM
link   
reply to post by BBTBE

well that's what i kinda said, you kind of proved my point on how it is being construed as "tools to fight terrorism". just as this whole war has been.

-J

posted on Jun, 26 2008 @ 01:34 AM
link   

Originally posted by BBTBE
In the fairly large village there are 8 cameras, I know the locations of all of them and 6 of them are around a local pub and sports ground which is understandable. Such statistics like these are used to make people fear the cameras, but why have you a need to fear them if you have done nothing wrong?

I think because a lot of people believe that sometime in the future, you might find yourself in a position where you will need to "do something wrong" in order to survive, but we will be under such severe surveillance that you simply wont be able to.

posted on Jun, 26 2008 @ 01:17 PM
link   
you have to realize that the only way that they will be able to justify their actions is to use threats as an excuse. how are they going to just put up 5 cameras on a street corner if they don't put the threat of terrorism into the minds of the sheeple

-J

posted on Jun, 26 2008 @ 01:47 PM
link   
The simple fact that this is being posted on a worldwide message forum tends to disprove any "1984"-type control system at work. Let us know if you get your door kicked down and have your head stuck in a hungry rat cage.

posted on Jun, 26 2008 @ 01:49 PM
link   
reply to post by 2nd2no1

No, you're not paranoid, just a little late in realizing the truth. Governments, corporations, and anything you want to label as Big Brother have been watching and monitoring everyone for a long time.

The truth is scarier that George Orwell's 1984.

Every Cell phone call is traced and monitored. Car's GPS systems are monitored and show where your drive. Mobile phones can be activated
remotely to eavesdrop and their owners offline conversations. CCTV cameras have been everywhere for years without anyone really noticing.

And don't forget the Telescreen you use. It is in your home and work and school and you even take it with you to the local coffee shop. It sees, records, and dispatches what you think and say to Big Brother's watchers.

You used your own telescreen to post your message.

Big Brother knows what you are up to.

Please report to Room 101.

posted on Jul, 17 2008 @ 11:43 PM
link   
well hey..at least i would have the satisfaction of knowing that i was smart enough to realize it, unlike many people.

posted on Jul, 18 2008 @ 12:03 AM
link   
A bit of a tangent, but not much:

When I was in grade school, 1984 was required reading. Is that still the case? Around the age of 14 or 15, I believe. I wouldn't be surprise to hear it has dropped off the required reading list. A little to depressing, in the modern world, perhaps.

posted on Jul, 21 2008 @ 01:37 PM
link   
here in england its not required reading anymore,unless i have it next year,as i am 14 now....

i have read it before though,from personal choice-alot of people wouldnt.

makes you wonder...

posted on Jul, 21 2008 @ 02:10 PM
link   
I agree slightly OP. Sometimes people look at those from the past as predictors of the future, but maybe like Orwell they saw where the world was headed and were men before their time who could tell good stories.

To another user- I do not see where this "if you have done nothing wrong" logic comes from. What about when the government decides that simple rights of yours are wrong and they use those cameras to monitor those? Government control gets away with a hell of a lot for good reasons, but that is one of the least credible reasons around and completely demeans our ability to think and reason.

posted on Jul, 21 2008 @ 02:16 PM
link   
reply to post by Anonymous ATS

You sound like a friend of my who frequently warns me of such things. Some things they say really strike a cord with me, about the world already being in mass control, just less obvious than books like Orwell's but just as scary. The scariest thing being no one realizes it, of course maybe until it is too late. I often have to turn away from such topics because I wonder in fighting the fear mongerers do we become them ourselves?

new topics

top topics

join