It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

In praise of American self-analysis

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 25 2008 @ 09:21 AM
link   

In praise of American self-analysis

www.dailystar.com.lb

I want to publicize the findings of a report the subcommittee just published, based on a series of 10 hearings it held. The report, "The Decline in America's Reputation: Why?" is the first of three the subcommittee will publish (the other two will discuss the impact on US national interests and offer recommendations).
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jun, 25 2008 @ 09:21 AM
link   

The eight findings are: It is true that US approval ratings have dropped swiftly around the world; this decline is driven by opposition to specific American policies, not to America's values or people; it reflects a sense that the US has hypocritically ignored its own democratic values in its foreign policies; American unilateralism has aggravated criticism of the US; American domination of others lingers for years and discredits current policies; visitors to the US, especially students, have more positive views of the country than non-visitors; the often heavy-handed visa and immigration experience creates the impression that Muslims in particular are not welcome; the combination of all these factors causes many Muslims to feel that the US is using the "war on terror" as a cover for its attempts to destroy Islam.

finally , the american imperialists are admitting that their policies are flawed and inefficient
so is USA beoming fascist with its policis
www.dailystar.com.lb
(visit the link for the full news article)

[edit on 25-6-2008 by manson_322]

posted on Jun, 25 2008 @ 09:53 AM
link   
I have to say that I both agree and disagree with this assessment.

While I believe that it is true that the bloated American Beuracracy is wounding America's reputation abroad, I don't believe that the American Ideal is dead.

Heavy handed political regimes have pretty much destroyed our credibility abroad. The more we try to do the worse we look. In my opinion, it's the height of arrogance for the American political machine to believe that it can bring peace to a region, the Middle East, that has been historically at odds for well over 3-4K years.

My father once gave me some advice that rings so true even to this day and especially applies to the U.S. Government currently. "Clean up your own backyard before you try to mess with someone else's."

posted on Jun, 25 2008 @ 12:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by SixKiloKowboy
I have to say that I both agree and disagree with this assessment.

While I believe that it is true that the bloated American Beuracracy is wounding America's reputation abroad, I don't believe that the American Ideal is dead.

Heavy handed political regimes have pretty much destroyed our credibility abroad. The more we try to do the worse we look. In my opinion, it's the height of arrogance for the American political machine to believe that it can bring peace to a region, the Middle East, that has been historically at odds for well over 3-4K years.

My father once gave me some advice that rings so true even to this day and especially applies to the U.S. Government currently. "Clean up your own backyard before you try to mess with someone else's."

I wholeheartly agree with you ...

posted on Jun, 25 2008 @ 12:46 PM
link   
I've been trying to push this point for a while.
Too many Americans are being told that other nations "Hate their culture" or "Are Jealous", which is ridiculous.

I don't hate America, nor am I jealous, if I had to chose an emotion, it would be pity. They're having their freedoms stripped, all the while being told it's for security, and that they are still a free nation regardless of what prison your friends in for mere suspicions.

The average view I've seen of the US has been a pretty well educated one. It's your foreign policies that we despise, not you. The US foreign policy pushes rules on other countries that the US themselves blatantly defy.
That, combined with the oppressive use of the US military.

The people of the US are good people, often misled and under-educated, yes, but still decent people for the most part.

We would love to help you restore your freedoms, and return your country to a peace and freedom loving nation... but there's no feasible way for us to do that. For that, I'm sorry.

My advice to anyone living in a country that is slowly slipping into fascism... get out before the border locks down completely.

[edit on 25-6-2008 by johnsky]

top topics

join