It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What does the necrinomicon do exactly?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 25 2008 @ 09:16 AM
link   
on wikipedia it says that it is a fictional book but why do so many people believe that it is real??

posted on Jun, 25 2008 @ 12:06 PM
link   
Why? Because humans are silly creatures.

The Necronomicon is a fictional book and the invention of horror author H.P. Lovecraft. That wikipedia article pretty much covers it in good detail.

Now why people believe in fictional objects, I direct you to the wikipedia article about False Documents, en.wikipedia.org...

Two of the best known modern cases of a false document are the Fictional Texas Chain Saw Massacre film and the Fictional Blair Witch Project. Both are entirely fictional works but there are people who swear they are depictions of actual events.

I personally think it is connected with the psychological phenomena known as True Believer Syndrome: en.wikipedia.org...

You can find commercial adaptions of Lovecraft's Necronomicon. The most popular and furthest away from the actual mythos is the crappy Avon books Simon Necronomicon. It is a little black paperback book. It is pure crap, a smattering of bad Babylonian mythology, stuff ripped off of Aleister Crowely, and barely any Mythos lore. I guess people like it becuase of the silly pentacle sigil thing on the cover. Its target audience is high school kids who don't know any better.

The best adaption by far is Donald Tyson's version. It really does feel like an old grimoire and reads like an actual mythos tome without the sanity loss.

Necronomicon: The Wanderings Of Alhazred by Donald Tyson (2004, ISBN 0-7387-0627-2)

You can find it here: www.amazon.com...

He also wrote some companion books that I have not read.

Alhazred: Author of the Necronomicon
Secrets of the Necronomicon
Grimoire of the Necronomicon, this one hasn't been released yet.

If your a fan of H.P. Lovercraft and his Fiction, you'll probably like Tyson's books. If your looking for some Apocalypse invoking tome that summons Old Ones, well you won't find it. There's simply no real book like that.

If you want real books that cause real horror: I direct you to The Communist Manifesto and Mein Kampf. Now those are some real scary books.

Edit: the worst False Document in the US is not the Texas Chain Saw Massacre, its the WWE. I completely forgot about that, but there are people that swear to the point of violence that World Wrestling Entertainment is real. Silly Humans.

[edit on 25/6/08 by MikeboydUS]

posted on Jun, 25 2008 @ 12:15 PM
link   
Lovecraft and his close body of friends often incorporated their inventions into each others stories, to give their writing a sense of truth. Between him and his friends you'll often find references to various made-up occult books and ancient gods. I suppose it's only natural for certain people to eventually pick up on that and start to actually believe they exist.

I'd also recommend Tyson's books, if you're a fan of Lovecraft he does the Necronomicon justice.

[edit on 25-6-2008 by davion]

posted on Jun, 26 2008 @ 12:13 AM
link   

Originally posted by MikeboydUS

Two of the best known modern cases of a false document are the Fictional Texas Chain Saw Massacre film and the Fictional Blair Witch Project. Both are entirely fictional works but there are people who swear they are depictions of actual events.

[edit on 25/6/08 by MikeboydUS]

The Texas Chainsaw Massacre is based mainly around Ed Gein.
(He ate the flesh of dead bodies and made furnature from their bones).

And the Blair Witch did happen, in the sense that the director told some actor's to get lost in a forest and let them scare the crap out of them. (Thats why it's a good film, becasue there is real fear there).

You probably already know these facts but i'm just letting others know.

The Necronomicon being the book of the dead in "Evil Dead" and other movies and stories is completely fictional (as Stated).

[edit on 26-6-2008 by Chukkles]

top topics

join