It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

CCTV Cameras 'Taught to Listen'

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 24 2008 @ 05:47 PM
link   

CCTV cameras which use artificial intelligence software are being developed to "hear" sounds like windows smashing, researchers have revealed.

University of Portsmouth scientists are working on adapting the software so it can also react to crowd noise.

Crimes would be captured on camera faster and response times improved.
BBC.CO.UK

Not only are we being publicly watched, we are now even being listened to. I do agree that this can be put to good use for serious crimes like burglary, etc. But as I continued reading the article, I realised it's much, much more than that...

"The longer artificial intelligence is in the software the more it learns."

He added: "Later versions will get cleverer as time goes on, perhaps eventually being able to identify specific words being said or violent sounds.

That part scared me. So now, these cameras can LEARN from watching/listening to us and they'll probably be programmed to learn "key words". In the future, for example, if somebody was having a conversation about a conspiracy theory, they'd be watched and listened to!

Say goodbye to more of our freedoms!

[edit on 24-6-2008 by xeroxed88]

posted on Jun, 25 2008 @ 11:13 AM
link   
I would have thought this would have had a little more attention...

[edit on 25-6-2008 by xeroxed88]

posted on Jun, 25 2008 @ 01:50 PM
link   
The specific words one is iffy. We use to fear that Big Brother is watching, now he's listening? I admit, the system is too good to pass up. It could hamper crime (I think it coud) and even if something happened off camera, gun shots or windows breaking would be heard on camera.

Then there's the whole "NWO" thing about this that makes it impossible to discuss anything that's against the state. Imagine if they had something like this in Iran or Burma.

posted on Jul, 11 2008 @ 04:18 AM
link   
reply to post by xeroxed88

Unfortunately it does seem as if no one is bothered.

Let me assure you that I am though.

This is not big or modern news. Apparently devices could start hearing keywords and then record conversations since the 60's (I can't remember but I got this info from a fairly popular video...it might be they want your soul, I'm not sure).

You should see some buses (in the UK).

"Smile you're on CCTV"

And guess what?

Eveyrone on the bus gets to see it to. In HIGH DEFINITION!

These are not pixellated in the slightest. That would make me feel secure but these are recording you in HD.

It is truely disgusting but let's not fool ourselves. Both being brits and made of no-nonesense (I was born in Yorkshire), we know that this isn't to catch the common theifs. Afterall, there's no room in prison.

The only time the cameras would be used if there was a bank robbery. Of course, if there was a terrorist attack the camera will become faulty

Anyway,

thanks for the thread.

posted on Jul, 11 2008 @ 06:15 AM
link   
reply to post by amanbuthimself

Thanks for the reply.

I was unaware of the "Smile you're on CCTV" thing on buses! That's quite scary.

Every day at work when I go out for a smoke, I can see atleast 3 CCTV cameras in the area, I'm talking maybe about a distance of 30 metres square, it's shocking.

Wouldn't surprise me if they started CCTV campaigns in our homes soon!

posted on Jul, 13 2008 @ 04:45 PM
link   
The funny thing about CCTV cameras is that most of them are dummies. But those dummies produce the same amount of fear. And they are much cheaper.

posted on Jul, 13 2008 @ 04:56 PM
link   
I wish the article was clearer about the technology used to "hear." Are we talking miniature cameras or visual camera technology that can see and interpret the distortion on a surface caused by sound waves?

We have had the technology to listen to nearby conversations using a laser beam on a window surface for some time now. Are we talking about a refinement of this process?

posted on Jul, 13 2008 @ 05:43 PM
link   
reply to post by clay2 baraka

The single or even quad CPU unit cannot process speech recognition at appropriate speed. The grid can. ANd DARPA is actively working on creating appropriate software for that for several years.

posted on Jul, 14 2008 @ 09:09 PM
link   
reply to post by mahasvin

Well, I would say I disagree with you about our technology (available to the public), for processing speech recognition. I would say it is much higher. HOWEVER, I believe there is a simple counter action and that is putting an accent on or talking, regional/local dialects and in rhyme slang.

top topics

join