It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

2012 picked up by Mainstream Media

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 24 2008 @ 01:33 PM
link   

2012 picked up by Mainstream Media

www.upi.com

Netherlands, June 23 (UPI) -- Thousands of people in the Netherlands say they expect the world to end in 2012, and many say they are taking precautions to prepare for the apocalypse.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jun, 24 2008 @ 01:33 PM
link   
Ok. I put this here because it is breaking news, despite the fact that i disagree with the 2012 theory..i am not talkinga bout 2012, so please dont bring up any 2012 theories, there is already many other threads for that.

I just have 2 questions about this article:

1.) What 'precautions' can you take for the end of the world?
2.) What are they going to say when Dick Clark welcomes the year 2013?

www.upi.com

posted on Jun, 24 2008 @ 01:41 PM
link   
reply to post by Andrew E. Wiggin

I would suspect they will think the same thing that happened in 2001. Oh well, we were wrong, didn't we look like fools... heh.

It's going to be the same thing. There were a few prophecies about 2000, combined with the irrational fear of the Y2K bug (A problem that was fixed long before 2000. No computer will crash because the dates wrong, you can test that by setting your PC's clock back yourself.)

Nothing happened back then, the world continued running, businesses were open, people were working and shopping, and everything was peachy, aside from the new years hangover.

Nothings going to happen in 2012. You're going to wake up January 1st 2013 with a bad hangover, and thank the odds you managed to get the day off.

posted on Jun, 24 2008 @ 01:42 PM
link   
The drive-by media picking up on doom and gloom?

That is a huge surprise!

posted on Jun, 24 2008 @ 01:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by Andrew E. Wiggin
I just have 2 questions about this article:

1.) What 'precautions' can you take for the end of the world?

www.upi.com

If its the end of the world, nothing
It won't be Dick Clark, but his head. Like on futurama.

posted on Jun, 24 2008 @ 01:53 PM
link   
Oh heck, i suppose next there's going to be 2012 t-shirts and mugs.

Actually... that's not a bad idea...

posted on Jun, 24 2008 @ 02:11 PM
link   
To completely disregard 2012 is just as silly as completely falling for it, at this point.

You might look silly when someone ushers in 2013, but you might also feel pretty stupid if you spent 3 years debunking it and then something earth-shattering happens.

posted on Jun, 24 2008 @ 02:36 PM
link   
if i was gonna prepare for 2012 i would prepare for a nuke blast and chemical warfare. underground bunker and food/water supplies. but i feel we will be lucky to see 2012 without something major happening well before. 2012 just another year to me.

posted on Jun, 24 2008 @ 02:40 PM
link   
How do you prepare for a solar maxim predicted by not only by NASA but the Mayans too?

Like most experts in the field, Hathaway has confidence in the conveyor belt model and agrees with Dikpati that the next solar maximum should be a doozy. But he disagrees with one point. Dikpati's forecast puts Solar Max at 2012. Hathaway believes it will arrive sooner, in 2010 or 2011.

"History shows that big sunspot cycles 'ramp up' faster than small ones," he says. "I expect to see the first sunspots of the next cycle appear in late 2006 or 2007—and Solar Max to be underway by 2010 or 2011."

Who's right? Time will tell. Either way, a storm is coming.

science.nasa.gov...

[edit on 24-6-2008 by IvanZana]

posted on Jun, 24 2008 @ 02:48 PM
link   
Actually if you all want to hear something interesting, I was listening to Newstalk radio on my way to work. Someone called into the Rush Limbaugh show and made references to how everything is in a downward spiral. After the caller made his comment, Limbaugh made reference to the year 2012 in context of disasters. I literally cleaned my ears and turned up the volume to see how far El Rushbo would take the 2012 discussion. He really didnt go into any details but just for him to reference 2012 on a big time listening base is significant. IMHO.

posted on Jun, 24 2008 @ 03:13 PM
link   
reply to post by IvanZana

"History shows that big sunspot cycles 'ramp up' faster than small ones," he says. "I expect to see the first sunspots of the next cycle appear in late 2006 or 2007—and Solar Max to be underway by 2010 or 2011."

But the new solar cycle is all ready over a year late
In fact some people are starting to worry about an Ice age.

posted on Jun, 24 2008 @ 04:43 PM
link   
reply to post by lost in the midwest

Im not against the idea of "A" 2012 (aka earth shattering event) what i am against is the prediction of said event.

There have been countless predictions of the end of the world, and when that mystical time comes, said person just walks away really fast

some people have even made MUTLIPLE predictions, consecutively, and still have followers that believe in the predictions!!

Im not saying you're "stupid" if you believe in "the" 2012 conspiracy
i *am* saying that the 2012 conspiracy is stupid

the end of our lifetimes will happen, this is true, but nobody knows when.

Preperations? For the end of the world?

Im quitting my job.

posted on Jun, 24 2008 @ 06:17 PM
link   
reply to post by lost in the midwest

I agree with you, seems like we went all through this in 2000 and nothing happen. Except I had one hell of a hang over on New Year's day,

Thats weid, I ment to replay to the post ahead of this post.

[edit on 24-6-2008 by lost in the midwest]

posted on Jun, 24 2008 @ 06:42 PM
link   
I believe something will happen in 2012. Something out of our control, such as a reversal of the poles. The Mayans have been too accurate to this point to completely dismiss something happening in 2012.

Maybe it won't be the end of the world. Maybe there won't be total chaos and the end of the human population. But we don't always have to create polar opposites to a situation; it doesn't always have to be the worst possible scenario imaginable, or nothing is going to happen. It can, and for the most part does, fall somewhere in the middle.

I think something major will happen that will, at the very least, alter the line of thinking and/or the way of life for humans.

Will we be here come January 1st, 2013? Maybe.

But will our world be different come January 1st, 2013? I think so.

I'm not paranoid or afraid of something happening. I don't think anyone should be. If it is going to happen, its going to happen whether you're afraid of it or not, so why put yourself through more pain?

I firmly believe that when January 1st, 2013 rolls around, the world we know now will be long gone and unrecognizable. Whether that is a good thing or bad thing remains to be seen, but I believe it will happen.

The only thing we can do is wait and enjoy the ride. Arguing on the Internet how it will play out won't change a thing.

posted on Jun, 24 2008 @ 06:50 PM
link   
Preparations for 2012:

1. SPF 200 for the sunspots
2. Simultaneous conversion to ten most popular religions.
3. Directions to nearest twinkie factory. see Family Guy ep. "Da Boom"
4. Bootleg remix of Prince "Party like it's -insert date-"

But I fear the mainstream media is going to spoil it with bandwagoners.

posted on Jun, 24 2008 @ 06:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by NovusOrdoMundi
Something out of our control.

The only thing we can do is wait and enjoy the ride. Arguing on the Internet how it will play out won't change a thing.

Unquestionable absolutes only serve to kill speculation, unfortunately.

There are several possibilities, of course - The solar eclipse could, for example, serve to cloak a temporary teleportation fleet behind the moon or something equally as ludicrous.

Once one starts thinking of things in terms of inter-galactic space civilisations, an awful lot of freaky things become possible.

2012 is just one year in a solar cycle, after all.

posted on Jun, 24 2008 @ 07:04 PM
link   
What about this other speculation regarding the death of 3 Billion people due to starvation and poisonous nutrients currently being thrown into our food and water. This is also 'supposed' to happen around 2012.

How can there be so many possibilities all scheduled for the same date backed up with 'evidence'??

posted on Jun, 24 2008 @ 07:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by Andrew E. Wiggin

They aren't gonna say a goshdarn thing......cause it's gonna be Ryan Seacrest, Clark dies in 2011. I've already seen this movie.

posted on Jun, 24 2008 @ 07:19 PM
link   
I think fear is getting out of control.

I wouldn't believe all theories 100%, but I wouldn't ignore all theories 100%. Learn the lies and the truth, and you make your middle decision, stop believing people fully, even if you trust them. Just absorb their information, and try to understand it in your own way.

Everyone "channels" information. You have to know how to pick out the channels from your own thoughts. When they mix together you get a mix of truth and lies. And you can be fully awake while doing this.

I think this is why some of the stories in the Bible sound so crazy. You got different guy's trying to tell the truth, but their minds and how they precieve things is adding in stuff too. That is how most books, and movies, and stuff is made.

[edit on 24-6-2008 by ALLis0NE]

[edit on 24-6-2008 by ALLis0NE]

posted on Jun, 24 2008 @ 07:21 PM
link   
My preparations? I plan on making a trip to the grocery store the week before to stock up on food. And then probably have most of that food consumed when I throw an end of the world party. I don't actually believe anything special is going to happen in 2012 that should cause me to panic, but I figure it wouldn't be a bad occasion for a party.

What will I do when 2013 roles around? Probably point out that the hang over resulting from the end of the world party practically feels like the end of the world. And then I'll probably go back about my ordinary business and wait for the next end of the world theory to gain popularity so I can plan my next end of the world party,

[edit on 6/24/2008 by cyberdude78]

top topics

<<   2 >>

join