It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Ego Stroaking on ATS

page: 1/
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 24 2008 @ 09:49 AM
link   
Okay so I was just about done with this rant when my dumbass,sensitive computer deleted everything,so now I am really ranting(if I don't throw this POS out the window first!)

Okay,I have got to make another rant about what I call Ego Stroking.You see there are the 'strokers' and the 'strokees',I will give examples from a recent thread but will not use names for a couple reasons.One,it is inappropriate and two,I am friends with some of the members I will be quoting.Before I get
I want to make three things very clear:No I am not jealous of the ridiculous and obnoxious praise.Yes I think good work should be praised-TO AN EXTENT!Finally I am not accusing the OPs of these threads of asking for the praise,but come on would you say"stop complementing me"?

Let me also say that ALL these examples are from the SAME THREAD.That said however I think the OP of this thread I will be quoting did a great job and took the time to make a well researched chronological time line of the human races exploration of Mars.
Here we go

Examples:

OP: » ****, Conspiracy Master » *************

Mars Exploration timeline

Launch: 10 October 1960
Name: Korabl 4 / Marsnik 1 /Mars 1960A

Result: Failure
Reason: Didn't reach Earth orbit
After launch, the third stage pumps on both Marsnik launchers were unable to develop enough thrust to commence ignition, so Earth parking orbit was not achieved. The spacecraft reached an altitude of 120 km before reentry.

The rest of the OP is the same,chronologicaly ordered pictures and information stretching 3 or 4 posts.Like I said,a fine piece of work and research..............but it presents nothing new and nothing not already known.He(OP) vaguely touches on a few 'anomalies' but that is it!So no 'ground breaking' information here.

Now to the real fun stuff,looking at the multitudes of straight ridiculous 'praising'.:shk:

Simply put WOW ****

You go away for few days and you come back with this increble ensemble *** of pure unadulterated information ****
a star and a flag
I am afraid to think what might happen if you go away for a month--We won't stand our ground!!!from the dizziness.
Just goes to show you a well organized and informative thread could be long.
keep it comming we need more post like these.
[Yea,makes me sick too!]

WOW,this member acts like Jesus Christ himself wrote the thread!

ABSOLUTELY AMAZING!

And does anyone really wonder why YOU are a Conspiracy Master???

Thank you for bringing to us, all of this incredible information and so well laid out to boot.

You rock!
We should all bow to his presence!

Thanks ****, a great contribution. star and flag.

Okay,now this is more acceptable,this member isn't being straight up ignorant and ridiculous!

Wow!

****... this could be - nay - SHOULD BE a book! You are by far ATS's finest asset. As usual, I'm completely blown away by your presentation.

I find the Cosmos 419 'error' to be absolutely intriguing. How a person/s in such a position of high responsibility could program a delay trigger of 1.5 years as opposed to 1.5 hours is beyond me. I would be curious to know if that person or team ever worked in aerospace again!

I also love Zond 2. I can only wonder if that's where they sourced the design of R2D2.. LOL! Sadly, it seems "the force" wasn't with Zond 2

This was so great that I saved the page to my hard drive for prosperity!

Star & Flag Good Buddy!
Wait...''saved to hard drive for prosperity''?
Are you [SNIP] kidding me??!!I would hate to think what this member would do if the OP made a post with definitive proof of aliens!He would probably kill himself as a 'sacrifice'!!:shk: LOL!

5. Now see this is a much more rational,intelligent,and better response.

Extremely awesome post! It's because of high-quality work like yours that I recommend this site to all my friends! Great job!

Amazing job, ****!!!

Your really one of the best (if not the best) researcher on ATS!!

You never cease to amaze me!

About the content of this amazing posts, they show why people were so happy that Phoenix had made a successful landing, with such a high rate of failures it does not surprise me.

Yea.................um.................... :bnghd:

Here's some irony for you complements of this *anonymous* member...

signature
I like to deny ignorance, correct me if I am wrong.

Yea.............I was going to say some smart ass comment,but I won't

Every time you post I can only feel grateful for having you around.
But this time you have outdone yourself once again, I`m speechless this thread is worth more than points, the owners of this board are very lucky to have you here.

tanti auguri!!!

'tanti auguri'? Um,yea speak English dude,and I hate to tell you we are not in Rome[Haha,well maybe you are,I guess that would explain your *false idol* worship uh?],and Latin is a dead language!

8. Hahaha,here is one of the best(sorriest really
**You all will see why in the next example.

Wow!

Amazing, thank you for all the information!

I've been meaning to ask a question about the Mars Mission.....

8b. WOW!This member couldn't say enough,in fact he had to 'praise' the OP .

Again, ****... Thank you, it's a wonderful thing to have someone like you post such detailed information to share with us.

Do you have a site dedicated to your awesomeness?

I wish you a great week and thanks for your topic...

Dude....What.......your awesomeness?What are you 13?ROFLMA!No,it's all good,you look up to the OP and wish to 'bathe' in his holiness awesomeness.Take good look at these following icons,as I will hold my tongue and just use smileys cause I don't wana' get banned.
:bash:

:bnghd:Wow,I swear some members on here are a straight up

**I'm sorry I can't let that last comment slide,oh and if no one gets the joker see*joke*.

**Some more irony,heres the members signature:

signature
"God created man because he was disappointed in the Monkey"

Need I say anything more about that quote?

Look everyone,it's like this-I have no problem giving credit and 'props' to members for excellent posts.But we all know that in all likely-hood if the OP was a 'normal member',that being someone who's not a Conspiracy Master,or someone with like 10000000000 points all these ridiculous,obnoxious,and ignorant replies would not happen.It's like some members just 'suck up' to more popular and respected members,I mean what,can these members not think for themselves and get their own 1000000 points or Master Tag??!I'm sorry but I find it totally ridiculous the overkill on these responses.Come on,say good thread,starred and flagged...............or glad your part of ATS.What the hell do you need to stroke a popular OPs ego for?I mean from the way some of these responses sound it sounds like some members want to marry the damn OP,IMHO

Okay,thanks for listening to my rant,and I mean no disrespect to everyone,or even the members I quoted,I am just pointing out obvious observations that not only I have made.I mean come on,stop acting like some members are ******* God!

**Side note~I mean no disrespect to any of the 'popular members'(ie;Conspiracy Masters)as I am not ignorant and know yo have nothing to do with these ludicrous responses,thank you.

(Don't get spamed!!)

[edit on 6/24/2008 by jkrog08]

Mod Edit: Profanity/Circumvention Of Censors – Please Review This Link.

[edit on 25-6-2008 by Gemwolf]

posted on Jun, 24 2008 @ 09:54 AM
link   
This is my favorite rant ever posted.

I don't do that though. I stroke my own ego. Ask Whatukno

posted on Jun, 24 2008 @ 10:08 AM
link   
reply to post by enjoies05

I appreciate it,that's fine............we should stroke our own ego,do you know what I am talking about though?I know you've seen threads where a popular OP is worshiped like a god.That's not how ATS should work!I do feel strongly about this,like you said stroke your own ego all you want,but lets not stroke other peoples ego..........especially when they are already well respected in the ATS community,you know what I mean?

posted on Jun, 24 2008 @ 10:14 AM
link   
See these 'super members' aren't the only ones who know how to write a well written thread,plus mines cooler cause all the smileys!lol

posted on Jun, 24 2008 @ 10:16 AM
link   
ABSOLUTELY AMAZING!

That is what I call a rant!!!! Damn It's so great how you can do that!

Star and Flag for you Rant master!!

This time you have outdone yourself once again, I`m speechless this thread is worth more than points, the owners of this board are very lucky to have you here.

Your really one of the best (if not the best) ranter on ATS!!

We should have a site dedicated to your awesomeness!

I'm still amazed, I'm speechless right now, can't say much but simply "WOW!!"

This is unreal.....are you from heaven?

[edit on 24-6-2008 by _Phoenix_]

posted on Jun, 24 2008 @ 10:23 AM
link   
Thank you...........I just felt like I had to get that out here in the open since I saw the thread last night.

Hahaha,nice joke.

posted on Jun, 24 2008 @ 11:00 AM
link   
I will say this, there have been plenty of posts that i gave lavish praise for making good points and or presenting superior information-even if it was posted before but not seen by me.

If the praise is honest and sinsere, nothing wrong with it.

Personally, i have seen and read things on ats that i had never see/known before.

I heaped praise on that too.

posted on Jun, 24 2008 @ 11:36 AM
link   
I agree with the OP. The thread in question is nothing but a manic copy and paste job. Old news gathered in a veeery long post, and not put in any kind of context. I have noe idea what the Conspiracy Master wants to tell us with it.
The tread is so insanly boring that my brain wants to crawl out of my ear and escape.

posted on Jun, 24 2008 @ 12:39 PM
link   
Yea but there is a huge difference in saying "nice thread,starred and flagged,glad you are a member on ATS.

Than saying"WOW,do you have a site devoted to your awesomeness?"

That is overkill no matter how you look at it.That is what the Star and Flag system is for,you star great,meaningful,'earth shattering' posts as well flag them,hell you can even DIGG it.

I'm sorry anything else is just plain ridiculous and borderline 'brown nosing'.Not to mention how it can 'intimidate' newer members or possible members.I mean I stand by what I said about some peoples responses make you think Jesus Christ himself started a thread on ATS!!!

posted on Jun, 24 2008 @ 12:40 PM
link   
reply to post by jkrog08

Hey, Hon. I have nothing to say concerning your topic but please check your profile. I cannot U2U you since that feature is broken. :-)

posted on Jun, 24 2008 @ 04:20 PM
link   
reply to post by jkrog08

I know exactly what you mean.

posted on Jun, 25 2008 @ 04:31 AM
link   
The bad thing is...i cant agree more. your bang on, they is so much ego stroking on ATS that it is unbelievable. You see people do it so much now that you just block it out. Great Rant man.

Fox

posted on Jun, 25 2008 @ 07:30 AM
link   

posted on Jun, 25 2008 @ 07:42 AM
link   
Since everybody thus far has jumped in to gratuitously praise you with what I deem to be "overkill", (kidding) I think I'll tackle the role of devil's advocate.

What is and isn't overkill when it comes to any form of ridiculous gratuitous praise really is so subjective that I can not really find myself to fault anyone. Rarely do I publicly congratulate something that someone has said, as I prefer to do so via u2u. But on the rare occasion, I will say something publicly. (I did yesterday because the u2u system is temporarily down)

But what I feel to be "necessary" and what someone sees as necessary can be polar opposites. Content that I see as jaw dropping may be considered a baseless spiel by someone else.

My point is, I don't really agree with faulting someone for being appreciative of the hard work of someone else. While it may seem to be over the top, it may just be that member's way of potentially being sincere.

(On a side note, I completely agree with almost everything in the original post and I too get frustrated with the over the top gratuitous praise posted on the board from time to time. But I do disagree with it being anything but a completely generic rant. Having an obvious thread and member in question is inappropriate, in my opinion)

There.. my point clear as mud yet?

posted on Jun, 25 2008 @ 07:57 AM
link   
reply to post by chissler

A very well thought out,objective,and neutral response and I thank you for your input.I obviously agree with you on the point of 'over the top' praise.I did try however to keep the thread and members in example anonymous,(by not linking the thread and editing members names out)however I realize that many members will probably know the thread of which I referenced especially since it is one of 8 people who are tagged 'Conspiracy Masters'.Also the thread is decently popular.It was and is not my intent to 'bash' any member of this site,in fact I am friends with the OP in the thread I referenced.I am only using that thread as an immediate example of what I(and others) feel is an ever increasing trend here on ATS and quite frankly(like you said)annoying.

posted on Jun, 25 2008 @ 08:29 AM
link   

Peace

posted on Jun, 25 2008 @ 08:50 AM
link   
Reply to Dr.Love:LOL.....................ROFLMA

[edit on 6/25/2008 by jkrog08]

posted on Jun, 26 2008 @ 03:56 AM
link   

Originally posted by jkrog08
should stroke our own ego

damn good point. i need ZERO help in this department.

[edit on 26-6-2008 by LordInfamous]

posted on Jun, 26 2008 @ 02:09 PM
link   
i will also fall into the continuous ironic praise of your post jkrog. I enjoyed the OP.

And as for members sucking up to other "point masters" and moderators, I can totally agree with that. Watch Springer or SkepticOverlord make a post and watch the magic unfold. You will see what I'm talking about. A million replies that simply say stuff like, "Springer, you're awesome." or "SO, you're GOD! I just wanted to jump in the thread and stick my head in your butt!" And the starring and flagging is rediculous.

SkepticOverlord could make a post about what he put in the toilet this morning and it would be starred and flagged through the roof.

Thanks jkrog. I was in a pissy mood today but you have lightened it up alot.

posted on Jun, 26 2008 @ 03:50 PM
link   
reply to post by Mad_Hatter

Hahaha,no problem..............I am a member that ATS is quickly finding out that speaks my mind and will not sugar coat anything and bring to attention some things I observe that other members might not have the guts to say.Actually I think that the star and flag system should be removed for staff entirely(they can flag and star others,but you can't flag or star them),hell if I was a owner I would give myself a million points on both ats and bts,and give myself the 'black bar',but thats just me(not saying they really do that,it's a little unethical to do so and I really wouldn't do it).Oh I loved you and apexers 'do you have a ats relationship' on my thread about the u2us being down,lol-funny.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join