It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

 

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

 

Does anyone but me think this is racist?

page: 1
0

log in

join
share:

posted on Jun, 24 2008 @ 03:05 AM
link   
I think the current caption contest with the "Mexican Seal" is racist.

Does anyone agree?

I am just trying to see how many agree with me and are embarrased to be a part of this forum right now.

I thought this site was about DENYING ignorance.




Please do not reply with any variation of the following:

1) "Hey, brother, lighten up!"

2) "I'm hispanic and it's not racist because I don't think it is."

3) "You are just a kneejerk political correctness cop. Political correctness is ruining America!"

4) "You are new to this forum. You can't criticize something until you have 30 billion ATS points."

5) "That's just, like, your opinion, man."




Seriously, the above are just examples of things that are not in the spirit of this thread, I want to know who agrees, I am not going to debate whether it is racist. It is a matter of opinion. I think it is, that will not change.

If no one agrees, just let this thread die and I will have my answer.




posted on Jun, 24 2008 @ 03:23 AM
link   
Excuse me for being "ignorant" but I have no clue what you are talking about. Could you please post a link to this "Mexican Seal Contest"?



posted on Jun, 24 2008 @ 03:25 AM
link   



posted on Jun, 24 2008 @ 03:28 AM
link   
I'm not entirely sure, but it may have something to do with a thread on ATS about a puppy some malcontent dressed up in a wet suit for kicks.

I'm really not sure what it has to do with racism.



posted on Jun, 24 2008 @ 03:36 AM
link   
I always thought that mexico was a country...
not a race...
its like saying that french is a race...
correct?



posted on Jun, 24 2008 @ 03:45 AM
link   
Sounds to me like you are trying to make an enchilada out of a taco....

/sarcasm



posted on Jun, 24 2008 @ 03:46 AM
link   
I could see a potential for racisim. But I do think that it was ment in good spirit.



posted on Jun, 24 2008 @ 06:54 AM
link   
This is a great example of Political Correctness gone mad ! Its just a funny caption competition.

Fox



posted on Jun, 24 2008 @ 07:04 AM
link   
Your a victim looking for a cause. This is why America has gone to hell. It's a dog who has the lawsuit, not any fool looking at it.



posted on Jun, 24 2008 @ 07:11 AM
link   
No, i don't think it's racist.
Now Disney.....if you hate racism so much (which i also do and i'm sure many others do) get on the disney site and spam the cr** out of them.....they been doing it for years and getting away with it.



posted on Jun, 24 2008 @ 07:12 AM
link   

Originally posted by theBLESSINGofVISION
I always thought that mexico was a country...
not a race...
its like saying that french is a race...
correct?


Race, country, religion etc, it's all the same, any sort of hatred in huge generalizing ways is wrong, it doesn't matter if it is racists or not, it matters if it is wrong or not.

Of course I'm not talking about this mexican seal thing, I don't even understand what that means lol



posted on Jun, 24 2008 @ 07:15 AM
link   
The Chihuahua was a dog that was bred in and around the region of Chihuahua, Mexico. A Chihuahua in a scuba diving outfit. For some reason, that makes me laugh.

I see it's time for a word lesson! All definitions from www.merriam-webster.com

Racism: 1 : a belief that race is the primary determinant of human traits and capacities and that racial differences produce an inherent superiority of a particular race 2 : racial prejudice or discrimination

Prejudice: 1: injury or damage resulting from some judgment or action of another in disregard of one's rights; especially : detriment to one's legal rights or claims2 a (1): preconceived judgment or opinion (2): an adverse opinion or leaning formed without just grounds or before sufficient knowledge b: an instance of such judgment or opinion c: an irrational attitude of hostility directed against an individual, a group, a race, or their supposed characteristics.

Discrimination: 1 a: the act of discriminating b: the process by which two stimuli differing in some aspect are responded to differently2: the quality or power of finely distinguishing3 a: the act, practice, or an instance of discriminating categorically rather than individually b: prejudiced or prejudicial outlook, action, or treatment
synonyms see discernment.

Now, can you try and use logic and see why this picture cannot, BY DEFINITION, be "racist"? Prejudiced maybe, but not racist. They aren't synonyms, as so many people like to think. And really, the argument can be made that it isn't even prejudiced, because no one ACTUALLY thinks there is a stereotype of Mexican people dressing Chihuahuas in scuba gear. (Which, having written this, I STILL think is hilarious. It only gets funnier the longer you think about it.
)



posted on Jun, 24 2008 @ 07:31 AM
link   
The OP is looking for a fight. I thought the picture was adorable. I don't see anything racist, etc., about it.

ATS isn't that way. When someone steps out of line "that way", the mods step on him/her. You're barking up the wrong tree, amigo.

Sleuth



posted on Jun, 24 2008 @ 07:49 AM
link   

Originally posted by CallMeMaury
I think the current caption contest with the "Mexican Seal" is racist.

Does anyone agree?


Hey brother, I think you need to lighten up, cuz that's just, like, your opinion, man. Where are your thirty billion ats points newbie? Maybe if you were hispanic you'd find it amusing. Who do you think you are, some political correctness cop?

All kidding aside, the only racism I see happening in the Mexican Seal thread is maybe racism against chihuahuas in funny suits?

Really though, lighten up a bit and have some fun. Who likes being a crotchety old man about things, really though? Laugh man..come on...you know you want to.


Come on now, cabbage patch with me....

[edit on 6/24/2008 by Mad_Hatter]



posted on Jun, 24 2008 @ 10:20 AM
link   
Fine, fine, fine, I guess i am the only one who thinks so.

i will shut up about it. i was up late last night and I felt really strongly about it at the time.

Even so, I should have explained why I thought it was racist. To me it seems like the Mexican navy being portrayed by that chihuahua is incredibly condescending to all hispanic people. It connotes that there is some inherent superiority to the white United States. I am sure there are Mexican special forces and you would defecate on yourselves if you ever met them in a real situation.

Obviously no one agrees, and in retrospect, I kind of overreacted. I still think its racist but I'll shut up about it.



posted on Jun, 24 2008 @ 10:22 AM
link   
Also, a lot of the caption entries were more racist than the pic itself. Things about the dog being an illegal immigrant is one that stands out in my mind.


Okay, okay, I am shutting up now.



posted on Jun, 24 2008 @ 10:24 AM
link   
reply to post by CallMeMaury
 


I do feel where you are coming from. I see a lot of racism on this site, but for the dog thing I can't say because I am not Hispanic and cannot really comment on it. But, I can say some of the captions were geared a little bit towards Hispanic people though.

I think it would be considered racism if it were a dog with a KKK sheet over his head.



posted on Jun, 24 2008 @ 10:30 AM
link   

Originally posted by CallMeMaury

I thought this site was about DENYING ignorance.

Please do not reply with any variation of the following:

1) "Hey, brother, lighten up!"

2) "I'm hispanic and it's not racist because I don't think it is."

3) "You are just a kneejerk political correctness cop. Political correctness is ruining America!"

4) "You are new to this forum. You can't criticize something until you have 30 billion ATS points."

5) "That's just, like, your opinion, man."




Seriously, the above are just examples of things that are not in the spirit of this thread, I want to know who agrees, I am not going to debate whether it is racist. It is a matter of opinion. I think it is, that will not change.

If no one agrees, just let this thread die and I will have my answer.



yes almighty thread god we will obey your every posting command. we will bow to your every desire. i dont know how many newbies ive seen post this crap. its an open forum and if you dont want a discussion made of it then dont post it here.



AND NO ITS NOT RASICST



posted on Jun, 24 2008 @ 11:15 AM
link   
reply to post by CallMeMaury
 



You fit right in the new USA.

You've aready suggested what responses will be allowed and not allowed in your thread.

You have been Indoctinated quite nicely. Are you a university student?

Give me a break



posted on Jun, 24 2008 @ 11:44 AM
link   

Originally posted by CallMeMaury
Fine, fine, fine, I guess i am the only one who thinks so.

i will shut up about it. i was up late last night and I felt really strongly about it at the time.

Even so, I should have explained why I thought it was racist. To me it seems like the Mexican navy being portrayed by that chihuahua is incredibly condescending to all hispanic people. It connotes that there is some inherent superiority to the white United States. I am sure there are Mexican special forces and you would defecate on yourselves if you ever met them in a real situation.

Obviously no one agrees, and in retrospect, I kind of overreacted. I still think its racist but I'll shut up about it.


I don't see this as a racist picture after all even here in the "white United States" as you put it...which is a possible racist selection of words in it self you used; we have things called mascots.Heck the Naval Academy uses a goat as their mascot, but no one is saying it is racist.



new topics

top topics



 
0

log in

join