It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

More congressional computers hacked from China

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 23 2008 @ 11:58 AM
link   

More congressional computers hacked from China

thehill.com

More Members of Congress have had their computers infiltrated by hackers within China than initially suspected, a lawmaker has revealed.

Reps. Frank Wolf (R-Va.), Chris Smith (R-N.J.), and Mark Kirk (R-Ill.) admitted to having data removed from their Capitol Hill computers last week, but Wolf says there are more.

(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jun, 23 2008 @ 11:58 AM
link   
China is the Sleeping Dragon who is about to wake up.

thehill.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jun, 23 2008 @ 12:15 PM
link   
In terms of cyber-spying, China along with Israel is the biggest threat to the US. China has "allegedly" hacked into US systems many times this year, and yet they still deny it's them doing it. A simple trace, regardless of if they're using a proxy can show the location of the computer doing the hacking.

The funny part is that the Chinese officials deny it's them because they say they lack the technology to hack. So they don't have any computers in China?

posted on Jun, 23 2008 @ 12:21 PM
link   
That'll teach them to use windows.

Seriously, I am willing to bet $20 that the way they "hacked" the computers was by the users using insecure passwords, such as "password" or their first name, or something like that.

posted on Jun, 23 2008 @ 12:37 PM
link   
Brazil was smart to replace all of the OSes and software used by their government with open-source software. When you buy closed source code, you don't really know what the hell you're getting or what the software is doing.

Some folks think that open source means insecure. They mistakenly imagine that if the source code is visible, then it is easier to hack. You get what you pay for. Invest in 3rd party, closed source, proprietary software, and you will never know what you don't know. Invest in a skilled IT team that knows how to develop and administer open source solutions, and you'll never go back.

posted on Jun, 23 2008 @ 01:05 PM
link   
reply to post by DJMessiah

israel is on the same side as the usa-----and both of us face common threats----besides the same terrorists organizations

posted on Jun, 23 2008 @ 01:52 PM
link   
Hacking into the senator's computer probably isn't that sensitive. Anything top secret is kept beyond the reach of politicians! Still, this doesn't look good for China..

posted on Jun, 23 2008 @ 03:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by yahn goodey
israel is on the same side as the usa-----and both of us face common threats----besides the same terrorists organizations

Without turning this into a argument over Israel, I'll just say, they claim to be our "friends" and yet they spy on us as sell our military technology to China. Enough said.

posted on Jun, 23 2008 @ 03:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by Scramjet76
Still, this doesn't look good for China..

While I totally agree that hacking into other Government's computer systems is a felony, don't forget the coin has 2 sides.

Joint Functional Component Command Network Warfare

The Joint Functional Component Command Network Warfare (JFCC-NW) is a subordinate component command of the United States Strategic Command (USSTRATCOM) which is responsible for coordinating offensive computer network operations for the United States Department of Defense (DOD).

What exactly do you think that means? We do the same.

posted on Jun, 23 2008 @ 04:12 PM
link   
Another side to this, is that they are just young talented college kids who hacked us and not the government. Did anyone actually think of this?

posted on Jun, 23 2008 @ 09:57 PM
link   
And how many times have the U.S. hacked into Chinese computers? Lets see.. I'm going to put the estimate at around... 200 successes a day out of 20000 tries through macros.

posted on Jun, 28 2008 @ 08:56 AM
link   
approimately 11:19 eastern time yesterday this computor was hacked by ?
an advertisement inserted itself on screen that i did not solicit (www.partypoker.com)with a windows logoon it, while i was looking thru 1 of the threads here at ats.
within seconds of this the computor shut down-----when i turned it back on i had other unsolicited info upon the screen and a warning from microsoft that this computor now had a virus and could crash any moment.
whatever it is, has disabled:1 the discs players that would allow me to insert a recovery disk2the spybot and spyware 3yahoo and rogers programs will not function nor will this computor allow me to remove these 2 that apparently are what the hacker made use of to lock each other up into a loop that is frozen in place-----i can remove everything except these 2.
so much for norton antivirus that was supposed to screen out malicious attacks.
i went to the computor shop to see about buying a new computor and told them what happened -----they tell me that if i bought a new 1 and it was attacked again the same way that their warrenty would not cover repairs-------amazing how some people--hackers---can delight? in stealing other peoples time and property----hope they all get caught and are made to pay for all the damage they cause.

posted on Jun, 30 2008 @ 05:55 PM
link   
it is not just china that hacks computors-----i have been trying to get help from microsoft and an anti-spyware/virus company avast.com but for some strange reason microsoft/msn that controls outlook express will not permitt avast to download their virus clean out software to me thru outlook express.
i keep on getting bombarded from microsoft with pay us 50 bucks now for a years protection or 80 bucks for 3 years protection.
while avast wants nothing for protection.
i was privaleged to see part of an email that msn/microsoft sent to someone trying to help me-----they said that they did not want to help this subscriber(me)
as far as i'm concernerd there is a "protection"racket going on and it involves more than just china and other hackers.
the monopoly that microsoft has is not a good thing for sure.

posted on Jun, 30 2008 @ 07:21 PM
link   
reply to post by yahn goodey

sorry to be blunt whats with -------- inbetween text?
whats its purpose?

anyhow on topic, anyone supprised?
knocked off computer parts from china
the US goverment have a red carpet waiting for the chineese hackers

posted on Aug, 28 2008 @ 06:03 PM
link   
reply to post by yahn goodey

just received this old rebuilt computer back from the repair tech.
he had to replace the hard drive and the electronic board for the dvd/cd player.
whatever the hacker did destroyed them.the old hard drive from this computer even crashed his repair computer while he was trying to annalize what was wrong.
about a week ago i saw several stories on cnn of how some hackers have managed to imitate cnn and google and abobe flash etc and have been causing havok on the internet so my appologies to the real google and the real microsoft for my complaining about them if they weren't a part of whoever wrecked this computer.
whatever the hackers used got thru norton/zonealarm/and the old possibly not genuine spybot.
the tech reconfigured this computer with a different defence system----hope that it holds for awhile.

top topics

join