It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Drug Reverses Mental Retardation Caused By Genetic Disorder

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 23 2008 @ 09:38 AM
link   

Drug Reverses Mental Retardation Caused By Genetic Disorder

www.sciencedaily.com

ScienceDaily (June 23, 2008) — UCLA researchers discovered that an FDA-approved drug reverses the brain dysfunction inflicted by a genetic disease called tuberous sclerosis complex (TSC). Because half of TSC patients also suffer from autism, the findings offer new hope for addressing learning disorders due to autism. Nature Medicine publishes the findings in its online June 22 edition.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jun, 23 2008 @ 09:38 AM
link   
Now isn't that interesting?

This will be something worth following.

www.sciencedaily.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jun, 23 2008 @ 11:07 AM
link   
good news if the results are permanent.

"After only three days of treatment, the TSC mice learned as quickly as the healthy mice," said Ehninger. "The rapamycin corrected the biochemistry, reversed the learning deficits and restored normal hippocampal function, allowing the mice's brains to store memories properly."

strangely, a single period of treatment seems to cure the affliction, which sounds much more like a deficiency disease, doesn't it? how could a genetic aberration be remedied without continuous application?

posted on Jun, 23 2008 @ 01:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by Long Lance
good news if the results are permanent.

"After only three days of treatment, the TSC mice learned as quickly as the healthy mice," said Ehninger. "The rapamycin corrected the biochemistry, reversed the learning deficits and restored normal hippocampal function, allowing the mice's brains to store memories properly."

strangely, a single period of treatment seems to cure the affliction, which sounds much more like a deficiency disease, doesn't it? how could a genetic aberration be remedied without continuous application?

I agree. But perhaps there is a genetic component to it. Say the hippocampus needs mineral/compound X, but because of a genetic flaw, it can't get it. This mineral/compound is reused again and again in the hippocampus, but is never used up (a catalyst). This drug allows the introduction of enough mineral/compound X to function normally, and that is all it ever needs.

Just my thoughts on the matter.

posted on Jun, 23 2008 @ 03:45 PM
link   
It will be interesting to see whether this actually cures autism. It would be a major step forward if it could.

What I am curious about is whether it would just cure young children of autism or would it cure older people who have grown up with it.

posted on Jun, 23 2008 @ 04:11 PM
link   
Wow, that's impressive.

I wonder what it would be like to be a retarded person, and after a few days on the drug, suddenly find oneself with average (or better) intelligence?

Shades of Flowers For Algernon

(Great book, if you've never read it I recommend it!)

posted on Jun, 23 2008 @ 04:13 PM
link   
reply to post by xmotex

I remember having to read that in high school. I doubt that its required reading anymore... it was controversal even then.

posted on Jun, 23 2008 @ 04:16 PM
link   
Interesting to see big pharma to come out with something that actually can do good and actually can pretty much cure a condition rather than just treat it.

Well I guess is not much money on treating mental retardation or autism (I guess) so hey lets find a cure.

posted on Jun, 24 2008 @ 05:04 AM
link   
reply to post by sir_chancealot

no catalyst/enzyme lasts forever, so the treatment might have to be repeated after a few years (beyond the scope of the study) or it's some kind of 'reset' which sets in motion natural processes, i'm just weary of everything (including favorite car brand :xd) being explained through genetics.

posted on Jun, 24 2008 @ 06:27 AM
link   

Originally posted by Long Lance

no catalyst/enzyme lasts forever, ...

Enzyme, no. Catalyst, yes. BY IT'S VERY DEFINITION IT IS UNCHANGED FROM THE CHEMICAL REACTION IT HELPS ALONG. *shakes head and wonders if it is too early to start drinking yet*

posted on Jun, 24 2008 @ 07:31 AM
link   
there may be hope for me yet...

posted on Jun, 24 2008 @ 08:20 AM
link   
Grover thanks for posting this, this is so exciting. My husband has a retarded daughter. I don't think she has tubular sclerosis, but if they can cure that condition, it makes it more likely that they will one day, not too far in the future, they will be able to correct her retardation. She's 13 y.o. and my husband has had a very difficult time bonding with her, due to the retardation and some other factors.

We have always hoped that something like this would be discovered to make her of normal intelligence. This gives us hope for her, and it would be wonderful if she and my husband could be closer.

Thanks, Grover, for posting this. We are very excited about this discovery, this morning.

posted on Jun, 24 2008 @ 12:38 PM
link   

enzymes act as catalysts.

they aren't consumed, sure, but wear and tear applies to everything, doesn't it?

top topics

join