It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Am I being watched on a matchmaking website?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 22 2008 @ 01:41 PM
link   
I have been kinda/sorta searching for a partner who shares my interest in conspiracy topics and especially survivalism. I've joined a few different online matchmaking services and one of them matches you based on your answers to hundreds of questions. I've been a member of this particular service for several months and I like it because it's free.

At first, I was afraid I would scare men away with my extreme beliefs so I kept my profile light and pretty. But lately I feel I'm not really attracting the right types of guys, so I thought it would be better to just state my beliefs up front, scare off the majority and hope for the best. So I changed my profile a couple of weeks ago to reflect my ideas of surviving in this country when something catastrophic happens (like the current economy going to hell).

Well today I received an email from one of the moderators of the site stating this:

"I wanted to ask you for a quick favor. We're slightly changing the way our matching algorithm works, and your account was chosen to use the new scoring. So what I'm wondering is if you could (1) play with matching, and (2) let me know if you get better matches now. Answering some more questions may help too. "

This message really raised a red flag for me. I'm thinking... ok why suddenly am I getting attention from the site owners? So just for kicks, I decided to answer some more questions. In the past, most of the questions I answered had to do with foo-foo relationship stuff. But check out this list of questions I'm getting now:

Could you date someone who used anti-depressants?
Yes
No

What's more important to you?
Your world
Your country

If you caught your child (or future child) smoking pot what would you do?
Try to talk and educate them
Send them for counseling
Whip their ass
Do Nothing/Ignore it

Is evil necessary in the world?
Yes
No

How comfortable would you be in a relationship with someone who owns and trains with deadly weapons? Assume that this is not part of their occupation, but that no laws are being broken.
This would make me feel safer.
This would make me uncomfortable.
This would make no difference to me.

Are people who believe in the paranormal (IE: Ghosts, Vampires, Aliens, ESP, etc.) all crazy or suffering from some sort of mental disorder/delusion?
Yes, and they all need mental help, now.
Yes, but I couldn't care less.
No, but I personally don't believe
No, I'm a very big believer in the paranormal.

I'm thinking that this attention from the staff and new questions couldn't possibly be coming from a simple change in my profile text unless someone was specifically reading it and singled me out. Could I possibly be on a watch list? Am I being paranoid? Should I play along and answer the questions or cancel my account altogether?

posted on Jun, 22 2008 @ 02:36 PM
link   
Ya those are some sketchy ass questions, I'd peace out from that website. The questions themselves don't seem to serve your purpose. It's general information for someone to data bank and process and attain the information themselves, or sell. The answers offered to some questions are dumb as well.
Looks like a big scam.........I've been to a few "match making" sites as well and expressed some extreme views........and now that you mention it......I figure everything we post on any website is data banked with your picture somewhere......maybe N.S.A...............Just because it's information.......and with more knowledge comes more power.......Even if it seems like a waste of time and useless info.....To them this is the most complex Chess game...where we are the pawns lol and they still wanna know what we do,why,when.how,where...... To engineer their master plans and predict human behavior etc. etc.

Good luck....

posted on Jun, 22 2008 @ 03:39 PM
link   
That is pretty weird.
ARe you sure it is from a representative of the match site?
Check out the info on the sender.
You might write to them at their contact link on their site and ask them if they sent it.

I agree that being honest up front is the best thing.

I have a different problem with them. I am not a paying member. If I saw something interesting I might but Haven't. I have in my info that I am an artist and that I have a web site. I said, "I call it ________".
(Since you are not supposed to put in web addreses I didn't put in the www or the .com.
Now then I have from 2 different sites gotten about 70 emails - thru the club - which I cannot read because I am not a paying member.
Are guys really so dense that they cannot figure out to key in the address and use the contact link on the site? I guess I haven't really missed anything.

posted on Jun, 22 2008 @ 03:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by OhZone
That is pretty weird.
ARe you sure it is from a representative of the match site?
Check out the info on the sender.
You might write to them at their contact link on their site and ask them if they sent it.

Yes. The sender of the message is: "Co-founder, President, & Creative Director" of the website and his profile also states: "Chris has masterminded three of the world's most popular websites.".

I've found some information on Google to suggest that this website (OkCupid) has generated some quizzes for Facebook (which is a conspiracy topic itself) and may have some associations with other matchmaking websites as well.

posted on Jun, 22 2008 @ 03:58 PM
link   
No, you are not being paranoid, you are being careful.

I was a member of a few matchmaking services and never was asked those type of questions. If I had been, I would kindly decline answering questions of such personal matters.

After three years of looking for Mr. Right through dating services I finally found my significant other two years ago.

Using the better known services is much better than looking in the local bars for a mate.

My best wishes to you on your search for a partner.

posted on Jun, 22 2008 @ 04:17 PM
link   
I know that the gaydar website is owned by the freemasons. (they bought it out a few years ago) so,quite possibly,yes

posted on Jun, 22 2008 @ 11:51 PM
link   
Those are some very heavy questions for a matchmaking site, annestacey. But you said that you changed your profile to reflect your self-described extreme views, so I think that possibly could be the cause. I don't blame you for not wanting to answer the questions though. They are very personal and I wouldn't want to put them on any website. After all, as any member of ATS knows, don't put anything online you wouldn't want to be public knowledge!

Personally, I don't think I would answer them. However, I do believe online dating really works so I wouldn't give up. Have you thought about changing your profile to be sincere about your views, yet discreet at the same time? I know it requires finesse to try to get yourself across to people with just a pic and some words and yet not give too much away. But it can be done and I'm sure you can do it.

Good luck!

new topics

top topics

join