It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

A new strange light in the sky

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 5 2004 @ 09:27 PM
link   
Hi All,
A coupla months ago, I saw an unuaually bright star in the sky, and it was towards the South (I am in the northern Hemisphere). Well now I am looking off to the north-west, and I am seeing another EXTREMELY bright star. It appears MUCH brighter to me than anything else in the night sky (other than the moon of course). Anyone else see this? Anyone else know what it is? It is probably nothing, but I KNOW I am not the only one who saw it. What do yall think?

-P

posted on Mar, 5 2004 @ 09:40 PM
link   
Try using the Interactive Sky Chart. Click the "Observing" link at the bottom of the page. Then on the left side click "Observing" again and select "Sky Chart". It will give you an interactive star chart from anywhere and any time on earth.

posted on Mar, 5 2004 @ 09:42 PM
link   
in the south? brighter than anything save the moon? was near the constellation of orion? well that would have been the star sirius.

in the northwest? well, depending on where you were looking and where you live you and what time it was you could be seeing the pleiades star cluster or the star capella.

if you want to go out again, make a fist, hold it sideways (so your thumb is on top or bottom) and move it up to the object. each fist width is about 10 degrees. if you get back to me with that i should be able to tell you more precisely what you were looking at.

posted on Mar, 6 2004 @ 01:18 AM
link   
That answered it KL, thanks! Great resource too! Looks like it was Venus. I will try to get back to you anyway Cmdr. Thanks again!

-P

posted on Mar, 6 2004 @ 01:27 AM
link   
venus would be in the west-south-west to west-north-west.
it would have set around 10:15 tonight, if you're in the eastern time zone.

posted on Mar, 8 2004 @ 05:30 PM
link   
Venus has been putting on one heck of a show, it was out this evening 30 minutes before sunset. Very cool.

Does anyone know when Mercury will be visible? I know it will be an evening star shortly in the future and dont wanna miss it.

new topics

top topics

join