It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Bush slams Dems for 'obstructing' new oil production

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 21 2008 @ 07:28 PM
link   

Bush slams Dems for 'obstructing' new oil production

thehill.com

President Bush: “My administration has repeatedly called on Congress to open access to new oil exploration here in the United States,” Bush said in his weekly radio address. “Unfortunately, Democrats on Capitol Hill have rejected virtually every proposal. Now Americans are paying the price at the pump for this obstruction.”

Bush has proposed drilling in Alaska, exploring oil shale reserves in the Rocky Mountains and the Green River Basin, expanding stateside oil refineries...
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jun, 21 2008 @ 07:28 PM
link   
I don't know how people can think that if GW is advocating something to do with big business and oil that something must stink.

Bush is touting "more exploration" as if that is the solution when there is something like a collective 90million acres of combined sea and land oil leases currently held by the oil industry. (See this thread).

There is plenty of land already in the control of big oil that can be used for exploration and production Bush is simply trying to give away more of the USA's wealth before he leaves office. This statement is exactly what I am talking about:

"Oil corporations are trying to take control of as much land now during the oil-friendly Bush administration years, but are holding off on drilling until the price of oil soars to $200 or $300 a barrel so they can make even greater profits," said Rep. Maurice Hinchey, a New York Democrat and a sponsor of the drilling bill. link

I am tired of the lies and the ignorance that leads to the lies being accepted. The time has come for change and these dinosaurs are simply in the way,

thehill.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

[edit on 21-6-2008 by Animal]

posted on Jun, 21 2008 @ 08:06 PM
link   
Just ignore Washington, the change most people want won't come from there, they are too busy lobbying and being lobbied. Which is the same as they are caught up with individual and corporate interests so much they have long lost track of the big picture, if they ever saw it in the first place. It's the same thing in europe, although not quite so bad - yet.

Change will have to be a the local level and based on personal choices. One of the most powerfull ones is not to buy another gasoline car, as they are literally traps. The auto industry has for decades now pushed gasoline and diesel cars as sexy, spent hundreds of millions on design alone, and left alternative tech for dead, because they followed the path to money. Money that is just numbers on a computer screen, money that in a lot of cases is just someone else's debt. It's time the population wake up and take things into their own hands, realise they have a choice what they work at, what they buy, where they live, and who they spend time and give their own personal energy to.

I suspect we talk about politicians too much already and they feed off it, like psychovampires.

Honda FCX, Volt, Aptera, Tesla Roadster, Vectrix electric cycles... Here are your solutions, forget about oil. Don't buy into inefficiency and pollution.

posted on Jun, 21 2008 @ 08:13 PM
link   
reply to post by Zepherian

You make a very good point change does tend to be bottom up in this country and it is we the people that are going to have to make the hard choices and stick to them.

In the spirit of your suggestion why not try to ditch the car addiction as much as possible. Why not try to reply on bicycles and mass-transit to get us around and bail on paying big oil to extort our cash all together.

In regards to my OP, though change, as you note, will start locally, I believe it is still important to keep an eye on our politicians and keep pressure on them to create change. I just herd a quote that I can not remember the detials on that said something like; sometimes you have to act as if your actions will create positive change even if there is no proof that they will.

I agree with this, we have to be vigilant despite how hopeless things appear to be.

[edit on 21-6-2008 by Animal]

posted on Jun, 21 2008 @ 08:53 PM
link   
Keeping an eye on them is recommendable, but in the sense that you keep your eye on a poisonous snake or a scorpion. They are just bad karma, and these days stand in the way of almost all that is good. People, locally, can do more, better, quicker, if they break away from the control mechanisms, the biggest of which is money itself. And if they start being generous... well, good things attract good things.

As for ditching cars completely, well, we don't really have to, because we have the road network up and there are viable automotive techs out there. If we could substitute them with an aerial vtol car sized craft then sure, but I don't see that tech being allowed in such a militarized and conflicted world atm. What should happen is people should start boicoting new cars if they don't have electric or hydrogen engines, it's time. But that's a personal decision again, so people need to soul search. I kinda like cars, if it were possible to convert internal combustion engines to run on hho then there is no reason not to keep current tech, changing only fuel type, although electric cars have the best reliability, if battery durability problems can be solved.

join