It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NYT: Israel possibly preparing for airstrikes on Iran

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 20 2008 @ 07:48 PM
link   

NYT: Israel possibly preparing for airstrikes on Iran

www.nytimes.com

WASHINGTON — Israel carried out a major military exercise earlier this month that American officials say appeared to be a rehearsal for a potential bombing attack on Iran’s nuclear facilities.

Several American officials said the Israeli exercise appeared to be an effort to develop the military’s capacity to carry out long-range strikes and to demonstrate the seriousness with which Israel views Iran’s nuclear program.

More than 100 Israeli F-16 and F-15 fighters participated in the maneuvers, which were carried out over the eastern Mediterranean and over Greece during the first week of June, American officials said.

The exercise also included Israeli helicopters that could be used to rescue downed pilots. The helicopters and refueling tankers flew more than 900 miles, which is about the same distance between Israel and Iran’s uranium enrichment plant at Natanz, American officials said.

Israeli officials declined to discuss the details of the exercise. A spokesman for the Israeli military would say only that the country’s air force “regularly trains for various missions in order to confront and meet the challenges posed by the threats facing Israel.”

(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
www.cnn.com

posted on Jun, 20 2008 @ 07:48 PM
link   
This, on top of Israel's recent statements that indicated that an attack on Iran is a real possibility, shows that an attack is probably imminent. The NBC Nightly News reported that Israeli P.M. Olmert told President Bush two weeks ago that he is seriously considering an attack on Iran. Bush said he didn't like the idea, but he wouldn't stand in Olmert's way. I think that by the end of the year, Israel will bomb nuclear facilities in Iran.

www.nytimes.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

[edit on 20-6-2008 by XFoxMulderX]

posted on Jun, 20 2008 @ 07:59 PM
link   
I heard on CNBC today that Israel would not attack unless the U.S. backed it...my feeling is there is no way we would back this with oil as it is. I feel that NYT is beating a dead horse, a story that is already 2 weeks old and rattling the oil markets....who knows the NYT may have their own agenda here...roil the oil markets, and Obama starts to look better and better.

new topics

join