It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

New Template message banner

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 20 2008 @ 02:35 AM
link   
tinWiki users/contributors,

I just now created a new Template message banner called "Paste". To include this banner in an article, write the following:

[[paste]]

If you come across an article that appears to have largely been pasted "wholesale" from another website, feel free to add this new banner. Pasting articles may be a breach of Copyright, and even when it isn't (for example Wikipedia is legal to paste articles from if the source is named), tinWiki should get original text, not pasted text.

Articles that are pasted from other websites should be totally rewritten and created "from scratch". If this doesn't happen within a reasonable time, the page may be deleted.

All contributors to tinWiki should think of the encyclopedia as, not a scrap book, but as a note book. I think that's a kind of good way to put it. If you are creating a page/article, read about the topic you are creating a page on, then write the article in your very own words. That's how tinWiki articles should always be created. The only pasting done should be of quotes and the like.

Optimist

P.S.

A reminder again: All images used in articles shall be entered into the image description page. To keep from forgetting to do that, it's a good tip to enter the image into the image description page first, and then into the article second.

edit: adding a word to improve a sentence...

[edit on 20-6-2008 by Optimist]

posted on Jun, 21 2008 @ 06:21 AM
link   
Good idea Optimist, I'm sure that we are going to encounter a few of these articles. So now we have a 'Fix, 'Stub' and 'paste'. Are there any others ?

Fox

posted on Jun, 21 2008 @ 12:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by ProTo Fire Fox
So now we have a 'Fix, 'Stub' and 'paste'. Are there any others ?

Yes, there are a few others like those, to be found here. But note that the list there includes other templates that are not banners.

The nice thing about "templates", "templates messages", or, also called "boilerplate text" (I think), is that it's a simple way of including text in an article or a discussion. All that's necessary to do to include such content, is to write the name of the template, surrounded by two sets of curly brackets, for example like this: [[stub]]. A template message doesn't only have the ability to have simply words or graphics, but can also do stuff like linking to a category (which in practice means to be put in that category). This means that if the Stub template links to the Stub category, displaying the Stub template message in an article will also categorize that article in the Stub category, automatically. So, there's definitely some nifty advantages to these template pages.

Optimist

new topics

join