It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Nazi anthem lyrics used in mix-up

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 19 2008 @ 05:53 PM
link   

Nazi anthem lyrics used in mix-up

www.news.com.au

SWISS television station SRG has apologised for mistakenly putting the words of the old Nazi Germany national anthem as subtitles instead of those of the present German one before the Euro 2008 Group B match with Austria on Monday.
Both the Nazi version and the present-day one come from the same song, 'das Deutschlandlied' composed by August Heinrich Hoffmann in 1841 from music by Austrian composer Joseph Haydn.

"It is an inexcusable error," one of those in charge of the subtitling service for the station told Blick, though he added it was the fault of two young female editors.

Used in its entirety as the national anthem from 1922, the Nazis, once they came to power, only sang the first verse.

Post World War II Germany sing just the third verse, and not the lines that inadvertent viewers were treated to on Monday which included 'Deutschland Deutschland uber alles.'
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jun, 19 2008 @ 05:53 PM
link   
How would you get this wrong. I wonder if it these editors where trying to say something and making a political statement?

www.news.com.au
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jun, 19 2008 @ 06:00 PM
link   
Basil Fawlty:
Listen, don't mention the war! I mentioned it once, but I think I got away with it alright.

posted on Jun, 19 2008 @ 06:05 PM
link   
It's just different verses of the same song isn't it? What's the big deal really? It's not like there was the regular version and the Nazi Remix.

[edit on 6/19/0808 by jackinthebox]

posted on Jun, 19 2008 @ 06:06 PM
link   
Haha if you are looking to get fired this is an awesome way to go out - gotta have a dark sense of humour to appreciate it though

posted on Jun, 19 2008 @ 06:10 PM
link   
I always thought the words were "Abovetopsecret über alles, Über alles in der Welt". I wonder if the other mods know? I'll ask them at the next pow-wow...

new topics

top topics

join