It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Bush Urges Congress to Lift Offshore Drilling Ban

page: 5
<< 2  3  4   >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 19 2008 @ 07:52 PM
link   

posted on Jun, 22 2008 @ 07:43 AM
link   
For those "know nothings" that keep asking, "Why don't they drill on their existing leases", here is the answer.

There is no recoverable oil under most of the land that they are allowed to drill on. They have done extensive testing, and well over 90% of that land has no recoverable oil.

Those that bitch and moan the loudest about the high cost of gas are generally those that are the most ardant about not drilling offshore or in ANWAR. They would much rather be in the financial mercy of a bunch of Arab countries, Nigeria and other places on this earth that have governments hate the Untied States (but love to take our dollars).

God forbid that we become self sufficient again. Oops, I forgot, those people don't believe in God either, do they?

Even if it were 5 years before a single drop of that oil came to us, we would still be a LOT better off. It will take a LOT more than 5 years before alternative energy sources can possibly take up the slack. In the meantime, drill, drill, drill.

ANWAR is NOT pretty mountains, it is mostly flat or rolling hlls of tundra. It is dark 6 months of the year. Cariboo and other animals mostly avoid it. But above all preserve it, and damn the humans that needs the energy.

BUT, if we ever do drill offshore, etc., I say, pass a law that not one drop of oil from our lands is allowed to be sold outside of the USA.

posted on Jun, 22 2008 @ 09:20 AM
link   

Originally posted by OldMedic
There is no recoverable oil under most of the land that they are allowed to drill on. They have done extensive testing, and well over 90% of that land has no recoverable oil.

If that is true, then 10% of the land has recoverable oil, which is a lot! But I am not sure that your claim is true, because some of the sources I see indicate that they haven't really tested that much:

resourcescommittee.house.gov...

In the last four years, the Bureau of Land Management has issues 28,000 permits to drill on public land; yet in the same time, 19,000 wells were actually drilled. That means that companies have stockpiled nearly 10,000 extra permits to drill that they are not using to increase domestic production.

I agree with you partially: let's drill in ANWR and offshore. Let's also build a bunch of nuclear reactors, and look at other energy alternatives. Let's move forward on many fronts.

HOWEVER: Let's avoid being taken advantage of by oil companies, who are trying to go for just the low hanging fruit (ANWR) and complaining that it is the only solution, and that National Parks are the best place to drill for oil.

I suspect this:

www.abovetopsecret.com...

The oil companies are using their inability to drill in ANWR, and offshore areas, as a major excuse for jacking up gasoline prices. They already have plenty of areas to develop. But they are complaining that they need ANWR. It is convenient and dishonest deflection.

It reminds me of a lazy brat, who says he is too tired to do any housework. His parents let him off the hook. "Get a good nights rest and start tomorrow," they generously tell him. The next day, he still refuses to do his chores. "I'm still too tired," he complains. "I need a king size feather bed."

The USA population is perfectly positioned now to be made into prime suckers. We need to challenge the motives of energy companies. Not only is this discussion prudent, but it is actually becoming a matter of our survival.

new topics

<< 2  3  4   >>

join