It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Government 'Strike Teams' Invade Homes, Harass Flood Victims

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 18 2008 @ 10:06 AM
link   

Government 'Strike Teams' Invade Homes, Harass Flood Victims

www.infowars.com

Shocking footage out of Cedar Rapids Iowa shows cops and government employee "strike teams" breaking into houses of flood victims and threatening anyone who questions their actions in complete violation of the 4th amendment right that protects against unlawful search and seizure.

No warrant, no knock home invasions are being carried out on the flimsy pretext of "checking for structural damage" as cops harass and threaten with arrest people who refuse to have their homes ransacked by thugs in uniforms.

(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jun, 18 2008 @ 10:06 AM
link   
Woo-hoo! More Fascist, martial law imposement being laid down by TPTB...And take a wild guess who's scheduled to show up here for a "photo-op"?

None other than the Decider himself.

Perfect timing eh?

People who attempt to gain access to their home before it has been "cleared" by authorities are being apprehended, and those who attempt to drive around police checkpoints that have been set up in the affected areas are arrested at gunpoint.

www.infowars.com

posted on Jun, 18 2008 @ 10:12 AM
link   
This is just disgusting, thanks for bringing attention to this issue!
What a disgrace, these people are having their lives destroyed by mother nature and then they have to deal with these goons??? police checkpoints? what for exactly? The really sad part is that most of these people probably don't even understand the scope of what they are playing a part in...Once upon a time these people would've been sent there to HELP the victims of the flooding.

posted on Jun, 18 2008 @ 10:23 AM
link   
Man, as soon as I saw photographs on Monday of officials standing inside someone's trashed kitchen, I said to myself "Self, Alex Jones is going to have a field day with turning this one into a 'police state' headline." and looky here, I wasn't even remotely incorrect.

This one totally depends on how they're acting inside the homes, IMO. It isn't a search and siezure if they are merely ensuring the buildings don't require condemnation. That's part of most city, county, and state building codes. Your license as a housing inspector is all the warrant needed to enter a property believed to be unsafe for the purpose of determining if it should be barred to entry. As for the checkpoints, the government does retain the right of access on any federal, state, or county maintained road. They cannot legally force you to leave you home (in most staes/situations), but in almost any evacuation scenario, once you leave your return is dictated by safety as determined by the authorities.

I grew up in a little town in New Mexico which was prone to flash floods in late summer. We had 3 underpasses which were essentially the only way to get across the interstate and railroad tracks from the North side of town to the south side. These underpasses would frequently fill up with 12-15 foot deep water because the pump intakes would get instantly clogged with debris brought down in the runoff. My dad worked for the DOT and was usually in charge of placing DOT personel on both sides of the underpass with a manned roadblock to keep vehicles driven by morons from trying to drive through this 12 foot deep water. On more than one occassion they had to call the cops out to deal with belligerant peckerwoods that decided they would confront the guys manning the roadblock. On at least a couple of those occassions DOT employees were actually physically assaulted (noses broken, blackened eyes, etc).

In a way I actually think Arizona has the right idea in all of this. They put up unmanned roadblocks during floods with a sign that basically says "If you go around this roadblock and get stuck, too bad." If your vehicle has to be pulled out of the water or you, yourself, have to be rescued, the state/county/city sends you a bill that is as binding as a court judgement. In some cases these bills can be tens of thousands of dollars if multiple rescue workers are needed and if helicopters or other special equipment is required. Of course there are plenty of people who complain about that policy, too. It is very true that you can't please all of the people all of the time.

posted on Jun, 18 2008 @ 10:26 AM
link   
reply to post by burdman30ott6

Finally a post that contains some common sense when discussing police actions.

There is no police state, there will be no police state in the near future.
In my opinion of course.

posted on Jun, 18 2008 @ 10:28 AM
link   
reminds me of the "relief camps" setup for katrina victims. no one was allowed to leave, family and friends weren't allowed to bring anything in, etc. it was basically a prison camp.

apparently it's policy to treat citizens/victims as criminals by default in the even of a disaster. sick.

[edit]

there are situations where the morons need to be protected from themselves. maybe they're just working with the lowest denominator. i guess they would be screwed either way - assume you're dealing with belligerent people and you'll upset the sensible types for being too forceful. assume you're dealing with educated sane people and you end up ill-equipped to deal with the morons.

[edit on 18-6-2008 by an0maly33]

posted on Jun, 19 2008 @ 09:07 AM
link   

Originally posted by DimensionalDetective

Woo-hoo! More Fascist, martial law imposement being laid down by TPTB...And take a wild guess who's scheduled to show up here for a "photo-op"?

None other than the Decider himself.

Perfect timing eh?

People who attempt to gain access to their home before it has been "cleared" by authorities are being apprehended, and those who attempt to drive around police checkpoints that have been set up in the affected areas are arrested at gunpoint.

www.infowars.com

The irony of being arrested at "gunpoint" to keep people from getting harmed, I will never understand that reasoning.

posted on Jun, 19 2008 @ 09:07 AM
link   
Once again, Alex Jones is twisting facts and engaging in hyperbole, while his unthinking followers swallow it whole. Imagine that.

From the article:

Each strike team consisted of six or seven people, including police, firefighters, utilities workers, and city employees..."

Anyone who cannot see why police-officers would accompany firefighters and others into the flooded-areas is an absolute idiot. They are there to assist and protect the workers as they perform their duties for the public safety.

No warrant, no knock home invasions are being carried out on the flimsy pretext of "checking for structural damage" as cops harass and threaten with arrest people who refuse to have their homes ransacked by thugs in uniforms.

Flimsy pretext? Is Alex Jones really that dense, or is have such a contempt for his followers that he expects them this hyperbole? Flooding causes structural damage to a home -- that is not flimsy pretext.

Further, Jones presents no evidence that anyone's house has been "ransaked." Nor can he even present a reason why they would "ransake" someone's home.

Shocking footage out of Cedar Rapids Iowa shows cops and government employee "strike teams" breaking into houses of flood victims and threatening anyone who questions their actions in complete violation of the 4th amendment right that protects against unlawful search and seizure.

Speaking of flimsy evidence, Jones cannot demonstrate anything of the sort has happened. The only evidence he uses is of a man who was not in his home, harassing the search team.

[edit on 19-6-2008 by SaviorComplex]

posted on Jun, 19 2008 @ 09:11 AM
link   

Originally posted by mpriebe81
What a disgrace, these people are having their lives destroyed by mother nature and then they have to deal with these goons??? police checkpoints? what for exactly?

Yes, these goons who are risking their lives to ensure the safety of others.

Are you really so dense that you cannot see why there would be checkpoints? It's to protect both the lives of rescue-workers and civilians. And to protect the property of those living in the affected areas.

But you're right. That's absurd! The only reason has to be practice for martial law and for the sheer joy of stepping on people's civil rights.

posted on Jun, 19 2008 @ 09:30 AM
link   

Originally posted by SaviorComplex

What a disgrace, these people are having their lives destroyed by mother nature and then they have to deal with these goons??? police checkpoints? what for exactly?

Yes, these goons who are risking their lives to ensure the safety of others.

Are you really so dense that you cannot see why there would be checkpoints? It's to protect both the lives of rescue-workers and civilians. And to protect the property of those living in the affected areas.

But you're right. That's absurd! The only reason has to be practice for martial law and for the sheer joy of stepping on people's civil rights.

I'm sorry, but if I want to risk going back into my house later to retrieve some things, that should be my right. It's MY property, and if I consider the risk marginal enough to go back in, well so what? And if something were to happen to me, well it's my own damn fault. Just because the authorities don't advise going back into the city doesn't mean that they should be ARRESTING people for trying to stop by their property that has just been outright destroyed! Of course these people want to see if they can save anything else, or at least survey the damage. BIG freakin DEAL.
The authorities have taken on much more than just a relief role here, that much is obvious.

posted on Jun, 19 2008 @ 09:45 AM
link   

Originally posted by elevatedone
reply to post by burdman30ott6

Finally a post that contains some common sense when discussing police actions.

There is no police state, there will be no police state in the near future.
In my opinion of course.

Sorry but you sir are way wrong! I am a Firefighter and there is NO reason to enter a flood victims home for inspection by police. They are using this as an excuse to search for something illegal. Since when does water damage make a home unsafe for the homeowner to inspect themselves? Unless they were in a river basin and these homes were hit by extremely fast flowing water then they do not need to treat this the way they are.

I know protocol and this is not it. Unless that baby is burning and you are impeding the Firefighters from extinguishing the fire they have a right to gain entry to the home and refuse entry by officials. This is STILL America damn it.

posted on Jun, 19 2008 @ 09:47 AM
link   
Exactly! Well said Lone!!!

Mod Note: One Line Post – Please Review This Link.

[edit on 19-6-2008 by elevatedone]

posted on Jun, 19 2008 @ 09:51 AM
link   

Originally posted by SaviorComplex

Speaking of flimsy evidence, Jones cannot demonstrate anything of the sort has happened. The only evidence he uses is of a man who was not in his home, harassing the search team.

[edit on 19-6-2008 by SaviorComplex]

His front porch IS his HOME! Is there something in the water that is making right wing types lick boots?!?

Explain to me rescue protocol please because I guess my experience as a Firefighter and my training has never told me that we do things like this. We don't unless the home is partially collapsed or on fire.

This is wrong.

posted on Jun, 19 2008 @ 10:02 AM
link   

Originally posted by LoneGunMan

Sorry but you sir are way wrong! I am a Firefighter and there is NO reason to enter a flood victims home for inspection by police. They are using this as an excuse to search for something illegal. Since when does water damage make a home unsafe for the homeowner to inspect themselves? Unless they were in a river basin and these homes were hit by extremely fast flowing water then they do not need to treat this the way they are.

Let's look at that, shall we? Here are several photos from yahoo found by searching for "flood" and "safe"

Considering the refridgerator & freezer doors look like they were blasted off their hinges, I'd say there was some pretty powerfull hydrostatic forces in effect on this house, wouldn't you?

The firefighter here is marking this house as unsafe. I wonder why? Could the fact that there's a giant hole blasted in the brickwork surrounding the foundation AND the building appears to be starting to list and buckle in that area be a possible reason?

The description of Yahoo for this photo is:

Gas company employees Joe Bedell, right, and Terry Sund try to find the gas meter in a flooded basement in an evacuated house in Cedar Rapids, Iowa, Sunday, June 15, 2008. Emergency and utility crews begun the process of examining each house in the flood zone to make sure they were safe for residents to return.

There's an interesting property of water. It extinguishes flames, you see. Almost without fail, any appliance that operates on flamible gases has something called a pilot light. When water contacts that pilot light, it goes out... but the gas continues to flow. It flows to the pilot light and, if the residents left while the furnace, hot water heater, or oven was on, it continues to flow in large volumes. Those homes become basically giant bombs. Think people, sometimes the most obvious answer, no matter how innoculous and innocent it may seem, is the real answer.

posted on Jun, 19 2008 @ 10:02 AM
link   

I'm sorry, but if I want to risk going back into my house later to retrieve some things, that should be my right. It's MY property, and if I consider the risk marginal enough to go back in, well so what? And if something were to happen to me, well it's my own damn fault.

Yes, you say that now. But no one ever thinks the risk is more than minimal. And the moment you get in trouble, you will call the authorities, putting their lives at risk. And even if you don't do that, other people will, tying up valuable resources.

Just because the authorities don't advise going back into the city doesn't mean that they should be ARRESTING people for trying to stop by their property that has just been outright destroyed!

And how are they supposed to tell John Q. Citizen from those that want to loot or otherwise take advantage of the situation? If they allowed people through, and said people looted, Alex Jones and his idiot followers would be the first crying that the authorities are not doing enough to protect lives and property in the affected areas.

The authorities have taken on much more than just a relief role here, that much is obvious.

Only to the most deluded, who see government repression in every single action taken by the police. So please, tell us what role or motivation they in supposedly acting in more than a relief role?

posted on Jun, 19 2008 @ 10:12 AM
link   

Originally posted by burdman30ott6

There's an interesting property of water. It extinguishes flames, you see. Almost without fail, any appliance that operates on flamible gases has something called a pilot light. When water contacts that pilot light, it goes out... but the gas continues to flow. It flows to the pilot light and, if the residents left while the furnace, hot water heater, or oven was on, it continues to flow in large volumes. Those homes become basically giant bombs. Think people, sometimes the most obvious answer, no matter how innoculous and innocent it may seem, is the real answer.

You have to be kidding. They shut the gas off outside the home. How do you think we are able to fight fires? We call the gas company and they have the location for the valve that is outside the home.

Dont try and tell me how to do MY job, I dont tell you how to flip burgers.

Edit to add: You dont need the gas meter to shut off the gas. WE had a structure fire once where the gas meter had melted off the structure and turned into a 15 foot long blow torch. The gas company came and turned the gas off at the master junction point no where near the home.

[edit on 19-6-2008 by LoneGunMan]

posted on Jun, 19 2008 @ 01:29 PM
link   
perhaps it's both guys

some homes are undoubtedly unsafe ,especially to the elderly who may not be able to survive a fall if they slip or in severe cases when a foundation is partially missing from under a home or it's stability is severely compromised

also i don't know if it is standard practice to arrest people at gun point for trying to get back to their own property but perhaps this is the no-nonesense fascist element people are warining about.

Also something else has my attention as these flood waters settle. I wonder if any added damage and infection or disease will be spread, since this (to my understanding) is one the first big floods involving the soils of the monsanto synthetic Bt toxins in crops. note the actual Bt toxins were never tested for their toxicity against anything , bees included, it was assumed the reproduction of the genetic toxins were equal to the natural toxins after reproduction.

posted on Jun, 19 2008 @ 01:35 PM
link   

Dont try and tell me how to do MY job, I dont tell you how to flip burgers.

I don't flip burgers, I design the bridges, roads, and railways that transport the raw burgers to the flippers... not to mention transporting you from the your station to the fire.

So I guess you've masterfully debunked the government's nefarious "pilot light" plot... care to comment on the other two pictures which actually refuted your structural damage and water force argument, or are you hanging your entire hat on the idea that gas can be shut off from outside a house as well as checked from within?

posted on Jun, 19 2008 @ 01:41 PM
link   
www.roguegovernment.com...

The Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA) along with other government institutions are currently conducting an 8-day anti-terror and disaster exercise from May 1st through May 8th called National Level Exercise 2-08 in the United States. We recently covered this exercise in great detail using press releases from FEMA and U.S. Northern Command as source material. We also raised the prospect of the government using this exercise as cover for a potential false flag terror attack. Considering the historical precedent of the government running drills on the day of the 9/11 attacks as cover for the actual operation, this 8-day long anti-terror and disaster exercise sparked some concern. According to the press releases from both FEMA and U.S. Northern Command, drills are slated to take place in Oregon, Washington State and in the Washington DC or mid-Atlantic area. With this in mind, it is incredibly strange to see reports from the Des Moines Register and the Waterloo Cedar Falls Courier indicating that a secretive FEMA exercise is taking place in Waterloo, Iowa. According to these reports, the federal government has leased out the entire National Cattle Congress fairgrounds until May 25th for an exercise. Early reports indicate that a large number of mobile home-size trailers and generators have been moved on to the residence and that both FEMA and the U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE) are involved in this exercise. Considering the reported involvement of FEMA and ICE, the trailers and generators being moved in, as well as the secrecy around this particular exercise, this has all the hallmarks of a FEMA camp drill. The purpose of ICE being involved appears to be to round up illegal aliens so they can test the efficiencies of their processing procedures.

www.abovetopsecret.com...'

USNORTHCOM currently has joint exercises across US. I believe the North American Union is about to be ushered in!

www.msnbc.msn.com...

Since then, the government bought out more than 9,000 homeowners, turning much of the land into parks and undeveloped areas that can be allowed to flood with less risk. The Federal Emergency Management Agency has moved or flood-proofed about 30,000 properties.

weakening the populas, dividing a nation!

[edit on 19-6-2008 by musselwhite]

posted on Jun, 19 2008 @ 01:55 PM
link   

His front porch IS his HOME! Is there something in the water that is making right wing types lick boots?!?

The story did not say he was on his front porch. All it said was that he was not in his home, harassing the rescue-team.

What is it about the knee-jerks that makes them capable of even the slightest bit of reading comprehension?

Explain to me rescue protocol please because I guess my experience as a Firefighter and my training has never told me that we do things like this. We don't unless the home is partially collapsed or on fire.

If you're a firefighter, I'm the King of Siam.

But let's play pretend and say you really are a firefighter. If you had read the story, you would know that it is not just firefighters entering the homes, but a variety of city/county employees, which probably include building inspectors.

Are you a firefighter in Iowa, or have you ever worked in a wide-scale disaster such as the floods in the Midwest?

top topics

<<   2 >>

join