It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

School Wants To Chip Students Backpacks

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 17 2008 @ 05:31 PM
link   

School Wants To Chip Students Backpacks

www.roguegovernment.com

A tech company with ties to a school district plans to test a tracking system by putting computer chips on grade-schoolers' backpacks, an experiment the ACLU ripped Monday as invasive and unnecessary.

The pilot program set to start next week in the Middletown school district would have about 80 children put tags containing radio frequency identification chips, or RFID chips, on their schoolbags. It would also equip two buses with global positioning systems, or GPS devices.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jun, 17 2008 @ 05:31 PM
link   

The school and parents will be able to track students on the bus, and the district hopes the program will improve busing efficiency, Superintendent Rosemarie Kraeger said. The devices are intended to record only when students enter and exit the bus, and the GPS would show where the bus was on it's route.

The Globalists have wanted to initiate a Real ID/Verichip program for several decades now... Looks like this action is one of the first steps in the implementation (by incrementalism) of this program.

I wonder, do you think any of the kids and/or parents will protest the chip?

www.roguegovernment.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jun, 17 2008 @ 05:54 PM
link   
They keep on pushing RFID any chance they get and in all sorts of situations, using fear as a motivator. We must fight this so we don't end up tagged and catalogued.

posted on Jun, 17 2008 @ 06:03 PM
link   
Yeah, this is kinda ridiculous. Not for the act of chipping kids backpacks because that is actually a good idea, but for the fact that our privacy and rights are minutely disappearing every year with little ideas like this

Most people are to busy with their life or are simply to stupid see it happening.

We must realize that in most cases the government is ling to us all and getting away with it. We still have constitutional rights that are very hard for even the government to change. It is easier for them to spread lies and convince everyone that they are correct because they are part of the law.

posted on Jun, 17 2008 @ 06:04 PM
link   
I really don't know how I feel about this. On one hand, I think some RFID applications are really good ideas and represent huge strides in security and protection. For example, when my two children were born, they each got an ankle bracelet with an RFID in it while my wife and I each got a wrist bracelet with an RFID that matched their anklets. If someone without the matching brecelets tried to take one of them out of the nursery ward, the doors would lock down and an alarm would sound. I thought that was a great idea, especially since both were born via C-section and it gave my wife peace of mind enough to be able to get some sleep and rest for the 3 days she was in the hospital.

On the other hand, now that I've got them home and am looking at preschool in another year for the oldest, I'm completely torn. I'm not opposed to the idea of them knowing where my son is while he's at school at all times, but I definitely don't go for the idea of him being "trackable" after he's in my or my wife's care. I wish issues like this never had to come up, but with all the creeps in the world today preying on children it really sticks a parent between a rock and a hard place.

posted on Jun, 17 2008 @ 06:20 PM
link   
reply to post by burdman30ott6

When you hear a story like this it is hard not to agree with the using of RFID. But we all know where its headed.

posted on Jun, 17 2008 @ 06:29 PM
link   
reply to post by leearco

I agree 100%. It's really sad that we see fantastic new technologies surfacing but thanks to a long history of similar technologies being misused, we MUST be skeptical and weary of any application of them anywhere, even where they're purpose is probably most usefull and well intentioned.

posted on Jun, 17 2008 @ 06:38 PM
link   
Our best friends live in the States. One day, they wanted to take their girls to the mall to get some kinda custom cuddly teddy bear -- a cute idea in that they could choose themselves the way it looked, accessories, etc. BUT! They called us, saying that the salesperson mentioned AFTER the bears were made that they came with a chip to track the bear, should the child ever become lost/missing. They freaked, and I would have too. It would be one thing if the service were offered, and the tracking mechanism of the chip was available ONLY to the parents. Furtive midnight surgery was subsequently performed on said bears, and I'd guess the chips are on their way across country somewhere. Creeeepy.

I feel the same way about the packpack chipping. If the parents and their children want it, AND if and only if the parents are the sole holders of the tracking mechanism, then fine. No problem. None of my business. Anything besides that, ........ it's just wrong. First, there would have to be a database of the tracking. Is this software protected with something that is absolutely impervious to those with short eyes? Is anything? It's just wrong IMO.

posted on Jun, 18 2008 @ 12:11 AM
link   

Originally posted by argentus
Our best friends live in the States. One day, they wanted to take their girls to the mall to get some kinda custom cuddly teddy bear -- a cute idea in that they could choose themselves the way it looked, accessories, etc. BUT! They called us, saying that the salesperson mentioned AFTER the bears were made that they came with a chip to track the bear, should the child ever become lost/missing.

If I was a betting man, I'd guess your friends misunderstood the store employee on this one. It sounds quite a bit like they went to Build A Bear workshop. Every Build A Bear has a bar code inside that keeps your information on file, but only if you choose to open a free membership account with the store. It isn't to track lost or missing children, but, rather if the kid looses the bear (like leaves it on a bus or at a motel while on vacation, etc.) anyone who finds the bear can take it to the nearest workshop and they open up the bear, find the barcode and contact whoever holds the membership. They also take the liberty of tidying the bear up free of charge, ie brushing/cleaning the bear, sewing any torn seams, restuffing the bear, etc. If that is the case, then it's too bad the clerk wasn't more clear on what the barcode is for with your friends. Otherwise, I'd be interested to know which company they got these bears from so I can avoid them in the future because I certainly don't like the idea of a company being able to track my kids' movements.

posted on Jun, 18 2008 @ 12:26 AM
link   
reply to post by argentus

I would say the chips in the toy bears are more a marketing ploy. Sell heaps of bears and see where they end up. Then be able to market in those areas more heavily.

top topics

join