It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Women Voters are Lining Up Behind Obama

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 16 2008 @ 05:04 PM
link   
This good news comes from the LA Times. Many women who were heartbroken about Clinton's loss are now coming around to support Obama because of the issues. I suspected this would happen with many and I think and hope most of the "holdouts" will come around by November.

Now that the Democratic marathon is over, Clinton supporters like Authenreith are siding heavily with Obama over McCain, polls show. And Obama has taken a wide lead among female voters, belying months of political chatter and polls of primary voters suggesting that disappointment over Clinton's defeat might block the Illinois senator from enjoying his party's historic edge among women.
Still, McCain hopes to capitalize on the disillusionment of women who voted for Clinton. The Arizona senator has appeared recently on "The Ellen DeGeneres Show" and "The View," TV talk shows with many female viewers.
"Women are voting for Obama because they dislike [President] Bush, they dislike McCain, they dislike the war, and they're upset about the economy, and those facts override any concerns about the Clinton-Obama primaries," Democratic pollster Mark Mellman said.

It's my opinion that many women (speaking in generalities here) are VERY concerned about health care and the war. In addition, they want their kids to have good schooling and a president they can look up to and respect.

The only way McCain is going to successfully court the women (besides appearing on "Ellen" and "The View") is to somehow engender a feeling of fear that's bigger than their desires for the future.

posted on Jun, 17 2008 @ 12:18 AM
link   

Originally posted by Benevolent Heretic

The only way McCain is going to successfully court the women (besides appearing on "Ellen" and "The View") is to somehow engender a feeling of fear that's bigger than their desires for the future.

I don't think you give women enough credit. Many women are smart enough to realize that McCain is far more experienced than Obama in every area, and for more moderate on almost every issue.

And I think you also insult women by implying that those who backed Hillary did so because she is a woman. I'm friends with a lot of women who voted for Hillary and almost to a person they did so because they simply didn't trust Obama. They said Obama is a con artist who comes across as being too contrived and slick.

Generally speaking, this whole idea of "group politics" is a bit dehumanizing if you ask me. We should be talking in terms of what's best for the U.S. and not what's best for each sub-group.

new topics

join