It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Entire town forgets to vote in election

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 16 2008 @ 03:54 PM
link   

Entire town forgets to vote in election

www.metro.co.uk

A small town in America is puzzling over what to do about its mayoral election, after nobody turned up to vote - including the candidates.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jun, 16 2008 @ 03:54 PM
link   
If this "forgetfulness" isn't an extreme example of "Dummed Down", then I don't know what is.

www.metro.co.uk
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jun, 16 2008 @ 04:01 PM
link   
Well, it certainly is amusing...although the fact that the mayor was running unopposed and the town consists of about 25 people total means this really doesn't say much.

posted on Jun, 16 2008 @ 04:04 PM
link   
Very funny...although in a town that small they probably could have taken a show of hands at a local pub...lol

posted on Jun, 16 2008 @ 04:06 PM
link   
Doesn't say much for candidates if they do not vote. Sounds like it would be easy to unseat someone, just show up and vote for yourself.

Edit: syntax

[edit on 6/16/2008 by roadgravel]

posted on Jun, 16 2008 @ 04:12 PM
link   
Kinda makes me think of that old show Northern Exposure.
If anyone has not seen it....I highly recommend it. It was a great show and cast.

posted on Jun, 16 2008 @ 04:15 PM
link   
Dumbed down?

He was running un-contested. Voting for him would have been nothing more than a high five or a slap on the butt

posted on Jun, 16 2008 @ 04:28 PM
link   
Yeah, this isn't any example of a dumbing down. It's just very small town life in rural America this time of year. The fact he ran unopposed AND nobody bothered to vote is a pretty good indication that the town is happy with their mayor and didn't spend days, weeks, months, years wringing their hands eagerly awaiting casting a vote for change. I'm guessing his job as mayor probably involves little more than signing a small budget every couple of weeks, making his voice heard in county affairs, and, of course, being a judge for any contests held during the county fair every fall.

posted on Jun, 16 2008 @ 05:39 PM
link   
Calling it a town when there is only 25 people is somewhat misleading. Village would be more appropriate which would then make the prospective mayor a village idiot.

Wasn't there a joke about the village idiot being the one who didn't show up to the job interview?

top topics

join