It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What's the point?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 16 2008 @ 05:52 AM
link   
i'd just like to open a thread for people to talk about philosophical topics that they think are pointless, with a small blurb about why they believe them to be such and then we can have a little discussion on them and move one.

i'll start:
what's the point in discussing whether or not we're a "brain in a jar" or simply products of an infinitely complex computer simulation?

it wouldn't change life as we know it, we'd still be in the exact same spot because we would have no way of changing things if either of those were true.
it seems more like intellectual masturbation to start discussing such stuff.

posted on Jun, 16 2008 @ 05:58 AM
link   
it won't change life as we know it on a mass global scale,but it will change life as YOU know it on an individual scale. And that's where every journey begins. In the self. The more people who become conscious of what lies within,the better our universal awareness will be. And that connects us all. So,to wrap up my little brain fart,if we all were aware of our "infinity complex" (as you put it) the world would change.

Anhway,the "point" is that you desire knowlage and you desire to know your place in the cosmos. To learn and to teach what you've learnt. Knowlage is power.

posted on Jun, 16 2008 @ 06:01 AM
link   
reply to post by madnessinmysoul

Curious. What is the point of anything? Isn't everything "mental masturbation"? I mean, I guess it depends on how big of a picture you want to look at. We are tiny insignificant specs in the universe, what we do or think has zero significance in the big picture.

So, what topics do you deem worthy of discussion?

posted on Jun, 16 2008 @ 06:02 AM
link   
The point of which shall be shallow. When the quest is so hollow.

posted on Jun, 16 2008 @ 07:07 AM
link   

Originally posted by madnessinmysoul
it wouldn't change life as we know it, we'd still be in the exact same spot because we would have no way of changing things if either of those were true.

Can you say that for sure? Do you know that for certain? Never leave any rock un-overturned! Never say never, or no way either.

posted on Jun, 16 2008 @ 09:02 AM
link   
Here's another:

Altruism doesn't exist. So-called 'altruistic' people just want to feel good about themselves.

I've never, ever, seen anyone convince anyone of anything arguing about that, or make any useful points. Totally pointless.

posted on Jun, 16 2008 @ 09:45 AM
link   
reply to post by Ian McLean

That's total bullcrap ( imo ofcourse!
) Some people feel better when THEY get what they want and obliterate their opponent but people that feel all warm and fussy inside when they help granny cross the street are just altruistic and feel better because of it, that does not make it egotistical, it's just what makes that person feel better, not neccecarily about themselves but about the day.

There is a great misconception that feeling better makes something for yourself, that is not true. Good deeds do not always need a sacrifice.

Anyway, it is a discussion that has no end but this is what i think of it.

Oh and to the OP, nothing has 'a point' per definition, it only has significance if you give it to the subject. I mean; What the point in getting born, growing up, learning, working, breeding some offspring getting old ( if you are lucky) and eventually dying? at the end of the line you just die so in the meantime everything is pointless in the grand sceme of things. ( nihilism rocks
)

posted on Jun, 16 2008 @ 10:25 AM
link   
reply to post by Harman

No argument. It usually goes like this:

"Oh, warm and fuzzy, eh? What about the stock trader who feels warm and fuzzy after making a killing on wall street? So he's being altruistic then"

"No no it's about being selfless and helping others"

"And that stock trader doesn't help the economy? Wouldn't people starve if the economy collapsed? Who are you to judge his principals?"

And so on and so on, back and forth. See what I'm saying? It's a tar-baby.

posted on Jun, 16 2008 @ 10:33 AM
link   
I know what you mean but i just disagree with it. Some people feed on ego to feel good and others just do things for others to see them smile, they feel good after that but that is not always their goal, just a nice and fuzzy feeling after effect.

I'm not someone that is per definition altruistic but sometimes i have my moments. And no it's not because of the fuzzy feeling afterwards i help someone, it's the feeling before hand that drives me in those cases. One time i saw a tile at a buss-station with a birth and death-date of some little kid that tripped and fell just when the buss pulled in and died. I was there on the day the kid died a year later, nobody in sight but i had to buy flowers and put them there. Later i discovered that the kid was from friends of my aunt and uncle but that was besides the point. Anyway, that is taking this one offtopic so maybe it's a good idea to make a seperate topic for this one

posted on Jun, 16 2008 @ 11:05 AM
link   
reply to post by madnessinmysoul

How much of anything we do actually has an impact on life as we know it?

I mean we could easily waste time getting drunk, high, catching STDs, getting into debt, getting people pregnant, playing games, or watching sports on TV.

I feel rather that at the very least Intellectual Stimulation is more Constructive than almost any other "past time".

I think alot of it boils down to One thing. Consciousness.

When we distract ourselves in our mundane reality, say with ESPN, People magazine, Gossip, Tabloid Journalism, Sports, Consumerism, Tranquilizers like Alcohol, or any activity that Suppresses Self Awareness and Consciousness we are only making ourselves from my point of view into mindless animals driven by instinct.

At least with philosophical discussion we are learning, we are becoming more aware and more conscious of who we are and the ultimate reality that we are a part of.

Note: I am not saying those things that suppress awareness and consciousness should be denied or forbidden, but humans do need to learn moderatiion and self discipline in regards to suppressants. I often wonder does human civilization need a suppressed herd to function, while a more illuminated minority acts as shepherds. Other times I think if there is a so called illuminated minority, they are just Libertine Ubermensch, making them more like wolves than shepherds.

Regardless I'm not into the whole sheeple thing. If one really thinks about it, this mindless instinct is at our core the reason why we fight, why we overpopulate, why we pollute, why we destroy, and why we are dishonest not only with each other but ourselves.

[edit on 16/6/08 by MikeboydUS]

top topics

join