It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Bee Species Outnumber Mammals And Birds Combined

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 14 2008 @ 02:43 PM
link   

Bee Species Outnumber Mammals And Birds Combined

www.terradaily.com

Scientists have discovered that there are more bee species than previously thought. In the first global accounting of bee species in over a hundred years, John S. Ascher, a research scientist in the Division of Invertebrate Zoology at the American Museum of Natural History, compiled online species pages and distribution maps for more than 19,200 described bee species, showcasing the diversity of these essential pollinators.

This new species inventory documents 2,000 more described, valid species than estimated by Charles Michener in the first edition of his definitive The Bees of the World published eight years ago.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jun, 14 2008 @ 02:43 PM
link   
I am stunned... who would have ever thought? I mean all we ever hear about are the honey and bumble bees.

www.terradaily.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jun, 14 2008 @ 03:07 PM
link   
I have read figures that say there are about 500,000 species on this planet accounted for (mammals, Insect etc) .
As to mammals there are about 5400.

Now the best figure I like and is surprising is that they estimate 95% of species on this planet are still waiting to be discovered.

You look at beetles they estimate about 200,000 species!

EDIT - 200,000

[edit on 14-6-2008 by greenfruit]

posted on Jun, 14 2008 @ 03:20 PM
link   
reply to post by greenfruit

20,000 beetles? You mean there's more than John, Paul, George and Ringo? WOW!!!

posted on Jun, 14 2008 @ 03:31 PM
link   
reply to post by grover

Wow. What kind of bees? I mean do they all resemble the idea most people have in their mind when they think of a Bee?

And what constitutes a Bee: the way it flies; body type; social enviroment; etc. etc

posted on Jun, 14 2008 @ 03:34 PM
link   
OK...I missed this.

The vast majority of known bee species are solitary, primitively social, or parasitic

OK....now that is wild. Solitary, primitively social and parasitic....they have those kind of persons in Bee form....interesting

[edit on 14-6-2008 by whiteraven]

new topics

top topics

join