It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

I wonder what will replace the a-10?

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 16 2008 @ 02:05 AM
link   
Many people would argue that an F-35 carrying god knows how many ( 24 maybe? ) L-SDB / SDBs is more than capable of filling the role of the A-10? I'm not sure if I agree, but it would be interesting to hear thoughts on this.

reply to post by Boone 870

Bad example.

Here's a better one.

www.aircraftresourcecenter.com...

posted on Jun, 16 2008 @ 04:23 PM
link   
reply to post by C0bzz

Bad example.

Good point. Trying to prove an aircraft's ruggedness by using said aircraft's failure as an example would earn me F in marketing.

Great pictures.

posted on Jun, 20 2008 @ 10:54 PM
link   

posted on Jun, 25 2008 @ 02:49 PM
link   
reply to post by LAUGHING-CAT

That airframe was flying even when I was in in the mid 70's. What does that tell us about the quality of American ingenuity in this day and age?

Hmm.... that America builds better airplanes than it does cars?

posted on Jul, 23 2008 @ 06:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by FlyersFan
Reality - if Obama gets in office then NOTHING will replace it. (and yes, I think he'll be getting in). He has specifically said he would cut future combat systems spending and totally cut the V22 (among other things).

Say goodbye to Boeing Philadelphia.

So yesterday, the Army pay Obama a ride in the V-22

www.cbsnews.com...

The story did not say, if it was to impress him (so he will not cancel the V-22) or that they try to get rid of him, LOL.

posted on Jul, 23 2008 @ 06:43 PM
link   
I vote we replace the A-10 with PEACE. Anybody here agree?

posted on Jul, 23 2008 @ 06:50 PM
link   
reply to post by PopeyeFAFL

They were probably hoping it would crash like all of the other V-22's.

Seriously though, I do not see why we have to replace th A-10 if it is upgradable. Just look what we did with he B-52 and C-130 airframes. . . Both aircraft date back to the 1950's.

[edit on 23-7-2008 by clay2 baraka]

posted on Jul, 23 2008 @ 07:11 PM
link   
It's going to be hard to create a direct energy weapon that will actually dump more energy into a tank than the main cannon on the A10.
I don't care what anybody says, that plane is beautiful to me. And if I had a bunch of tanks coming after me I would be thanking the lord on my knees cheering when the A10 wags it's wings at me over flys me and then slams to hell all of those idiot tanks that thought it was funny to be chasing a few soldiers in fleeing their humvee.

What would be happen if an A10 took on a chinese tank division. well by by tank division. that coupled with a few fighter planes high up percision bombing any type of sam site that could even feasibly hurt the a10. that plane is a beast. and in time all of the US's enemy's will learn the hard way when they face off against the hog.

seriously though imagine being a soldier being chased down by a bunch of enemy tanks only to have an A10 show up and rescue you. it would be like a perfect scene in a movie.

posted on Jul, 29 2008 @ 09:27 PM
link   
Unless your a British soldier in which case the A-10 would kill both you and your buddies, whilst wondering how the Taliban got hold of British uniforms and vehicles,

Jenst

posted on Jul, 29 2008 @ 10:18 PM
link   
well yeah there is that.

plus the air force keeps shooting at marines on accident. they mistake their dark skin for the enemy sometimes...no joke, mistakingly strafe US marines sometimes. not cool.

but kick ass when strafing just about any one of the US's enemies. The a10's the greatest tank slayer ever devised. laser cannons shamannons that 30 mil. cannon makes a believer out of all who witness it in action.

posted on Jul, 29 2008 @ 10:22 PM
link   
Without a doubt i believe manned air craft will be reduced exponentially
unmanned craft will no doubt be the way to the future
smaller faster more maneuverable will eventually be too lucrative to pass up

posted on Jul, 29 2008 @ 10:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by jensy
Unless your a British soldier in which case the A-10 would kill both you and your buddies, whilst wondering how the Taliban got hold of British uniforms and vehicles,

Jenst

If you keep dressing like arabs and wondering around Iraq with IEDs
you deserve to be shot at and killed

[edit on 29-7-2008 by solo1]

posted on Jul, 29 2008 @ 10:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by groingrinder

thats the best news i have heard all day friend

star for you

posted on Jul, 31 2008 @ 12:34 PM
link   

Yah right @ solo1. Go ahead and stick a flower in the 30 mike mike barrel of an A-10. I'd prefer to keep our A-10 fleet at a 100% O.R. rate.

posted on Jan, 27 2009 @ 09:03 AM
link   
Well, the latest upgrades are supposed to improve situational awareness, so that friendly fire incidents will be less likely. It includes improved comm systems so it can communicate with the ground better.
As for replacing it, it won't happen for a while. And the V-22 has been flying in combat for almost two years and the USMC loves it. Funny how people focus on it's crashes when the helos it is replacing had more crashes during their development histories.

posted on Jan, 27 2009 @ 06:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by jensy

Jenst

You must have missed the recent artical about British troops preferring the A-10 for close air support missions, over anything else that comes in to help out.

posted on Jan, 28 2009 @ 08:26 PM
link   
It was only a joke. I have relatives and friends in armed forces of both countries, I know that accidents do happen. The only problem is when such accidents are carried out by a ship as dealy as the Warthog, people are likely to die.

Jensy

top topics

<< 1   >>

join