It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Japan, Seeking Trim Waists, Measures Millions

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 13 2008 @ 12:40 PM
link   
www.nytimes.com...

To reach its goals of shrinking the overweight population by 10 percent over the next four years and 25 percent over the next seven years, the government will impose financial penalties on companies and local governments that fail to meet specific targets. The country’s Ministry of Health argues that the campaign will keep the spread of diseases like diabetes and strokes in check.

Can you imagine if a law like this was imposed in the US? The fines alone would probably cover the national debt!!

Very intersesting...I'm still out on this one. I certainly see the benefits but man, that is a bit intrusive if you ask me. This one is gonna start some contriversy I think.

posted on Jun, 15 2008 @ 10:25 AM
link   
First they measure waistlines, what next? If your waist must measure a very specific number or there will be consequences, what about your height? What about your hair/eye color? Are your children's eyes the right color also? If not, what should be done about it?

If we don't physically conform to their prescribed ideals, should we be "re-educated" and what if that doesn't work? Physical attributes cannot always so easily be changed to fit the ideal. And how arbitrary are those numbers! Who came up with the ideal, under what true motivation?

join