It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Haunted Charleston

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 13 2008 @ 10:55 AM
link   
Good morning all. I just returned from a trip to Charleston South Carolina with family and had a few questions regarding what I have been told is one of the most haunted places in the US. We even went on one of the graveyard ghost tours.

My question is aside from some very interesting usless information I didn't see anything out of the ordinary from any other city. I mean the older grave sites dating back to the 16 and 17 hundreds were impressive, but the city itself seemed no different than any other cities with mixtures of old and new. It was also annoying to see groups of other tourists doing the same thing across the street or down the street. Being from Orlando, Florida I felt like I was on some kind of walking theme park ride!!

I have been to abbeys all over Europe that boggle my mind so maybe I'm being a snob. Also, I understand that what we did was tourist crap but I do intend on going back again and would like some inside information if any of you can help.

Do any of you live there or have any of you been to places that might be off the beaten path from the usual tourist routine? I'm looking for something that maybe the average person might not find out about.....

Thanks in advance fr your help!!!

posted on Jun, 13 2008 @ 11:50 AM
link   
I'm from SC and have been to Charleston numerous times. That being said, I think your mistake in wanting to find something off the beaten path was...travelling on the beaten path. If you want to find something really interesting, do the tours, but also make sure you take the time to really walk the city on your own. There are many courtyards, cemetaries, churchyards, alleys and creepy places in general that are on no tour. And even in a city teeming with tourists you'd be surprised at the sort of hidden places you can find that aren't crowded like an attraction. You really just have to strike out on your own and explore.

Another really good thing to do is to research some places that are allegedly haunted before you get there, or even at the library once you do get there. Then go there on your own and see what you can see.

A caveat though: Charleston has some unsavory characters so please, if you go into an alley or cemetary alone, please please watch your back. People can creep up on you without your knowledge faster than you realize. Also, off-the-beaten-path churchyards and similar places are usually overgrown because they don't have the visitor traffic, so make absolutely sure you don't go without BUG SPRAY. Or those mosquitoes will make you wish you never showed up.

I really hope you get the chance to return to Charleston and do some exploring on your own because there is definitely plenty to see, and I don't just say that because I'm a South Carolinian!

posted on Jun, 13 2008 @ 01:17 PM
link   
Thanks SC that is usually what I do but this particular trip I didn't have enough time. We did explore on our own during the daytime hours. Also, if I had been by myself it would be a different story. When I do that kind of exploring I end up in the most amazing places.

Maybe some day I'll tell everyone about the day I found a small graveyard in Tuscany and the related story. It will break your hearts. Of course, if anyone is interested. No ghosts, just reality.....well maybe no ghosts, not sure about that.

Anyway, thank you for the input. You have a beautiful state.

Yours in the bond,

RE Lee

posted on Jun, 14 2008 @ 10:32 PM
link   
But even off the beaten path, you might not find anything. It seems a lot of the people who see ghosts and stuff like that, wherever they are, they are there a lot-residence, work, places of routine. Sometimes there are the haunted hotels you hear about, but i'd have to say that it seems thinks like that are almost routine-bound! (Though feel free to prove me wrong; go looking, and examine all the back alleyways, get creeped out, and have a fun time.)

top topics

join