It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

BMW's Shape Shifter Car

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 13 2008 @ 01:50 AM
link   

BMW's Shape Shifter Car

www.drive.com.au

BMW has unveiled a fabric-covered roadster that can change its shape at the flick of a switch – and it’s the inspiration for propeller-badged cars both current and future. JEZ SPINKS reports.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jun, 13 2008 @ 01:50 AM
link   
WOW.

I wonder how long this technology has been around for, if it's just becoming mainstream now?
A car that can shape shift, lights that come out if its skin!!!!
Using carbonfibre and steel mesh, BMW have created their own 'hybrid' material. Or have they?

I, myself have never seen this before and am every surprised at such a concept in car design. Maybe Camouflage is next up on BMW's list.

www.drive.com.au
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jun, 13 2008 @ 01:58 AM
link   
WOW indeed. Very interesting stuff

One must wonder about how safe this thing is though, I did not see any mention of this in the article or on the video.

posted on Jun, 13 2008 @ 02:02 AM
link   
Yeah, no talk about safety. guess it might have its own ejector seat too.
But still an UNREAL car, wonder how many miles to the gallon it does

I wish my 1988 Corolla had that, it could shapeshift its self into a real car

[edit on 13-6-2008 by crackerjack]

posted on Jun, 13 2008 @ 02:27 AM
link   
So, we're finally getting transformers, huh?

If anyone watched the video on that link, did you get the sense that the material the guy was stretching and bending reminded you of descriptions of the fabric said to be found at the Roswell crash?

posted on Jun, 13 2008 @ 07:42 AM
link   
Very cool...

I showed this to a colleague and they mentioned that it wouldn't last 2 minutes in Glasgow with some 'chavs' and a Stanley knife..

Sad but more than likely true

Berth

[edit on 13-6-2008 by badBERTHA]

posted on Jun, 13 2008 @ 08:08 AM
link   
wow thats cool. Looks pretty freaky when it blinks though!

GINA= GREATFULLY INTERCEPTED AN ALIEN

[edit on 13-6-2008 by monkeybus]

[edit on 13-6-2008 by monkeybus]

posted on Jun, 13 2008 @ 08:53 AM
link   
Hmm..interesting concept but I think it is early days.

Problem for me aesthetically is it looks like a fabric covered car not very pleasing to my eye.

I have to admit the stanley knife problem in some area's was probably the first thing to cross my mind and insurance costs could well reflect this.

Safety may not be as big an issue as it seems, afterall racing cars have a safety cell and it would not surprise me to find a similiar arrangement applied to this.

I could well imagine the slang that could be applied to this car, one name that readily comes to mind is "the spandex sportser".

posted on Dec, 18 2008 @ 03:37 PM
link   
reply to post by crackerjack

Wow Dude That Is One Good Looking Car!

posted on Dec, 18 2008 @ 03:43 PM
link   
That's a neat concept. Ashton Martin and Lamborghini have cars with a similar feature, not with the fabric exterior though. I wonder how that weathers over time.

[edit on 12/18/08 by Yoda411]

posted on Dec, 18 2008 @ 03:46 PM
link   
The Adobe does really exist. It was just a matter of time and technology.

Adobe

Spokesman.....Phil Hartman

Spokesman: These days, everyone's talking about the Hyundai, and the Yugo. Both nice cars, if you've got $3,000 or $4,000 to throw around. But, for those of us whose name doesn't happen to be Rockefeller, finally there's some good news - a car with a sticker price of $179. That's right, $179. The name of the car?

Adobe. The sassy new Mexican import that's made out of clay. German engineering and Mexican know-how helped create the first car to break the $200 barrier. At this price, you might not expect more than reliable transportation - but, brother, you get it! Extra features: like the custom contour seats, or the beverage-gripping dash. And the money you save isn't exactly small change!

Jingle:
"Hey, hey, we're Adobe!
The little car that's made out of clay!
We're gonna save you some money
that you can spend in some other way!
Hey, hey, we're Adobe!
Hey, hey, we're Adobe!
Adobe!"

[ show Adobe driver get into a fender-bender. She casually steps out of the vehicle and uses her hands to mold her bumper back into its proper shape, in under six minutes! ]

Spokesman: Adobe. You can buy a cheaper car. But I wouldn't recommend it!

Announcer: Not approved for street use in some states. No warranty either expressed or implied. All sales final.

SNL Transcripts

snltranscripts.jt.org...

posted on Dec, 18 2008 @ 03:55 PM
link   
I'm in love... and her name is gina.

Safety wouldn't be a concern IMO. You dont hope your metal on your door saves you in a crash you hope the safety features built into the frame save you.

We don't know how strong that material is but I was thinking the knife piece also but more along the lines of car stealing. Currently the pop a lock or break a window. Now they could possibly cut open the door and sit down.

It's a step in the right direction and as a auto lover I'm glad i'm alive today to witness it

top topics

join