It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Who are you voting for and why?

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 6 2008 @ 11:55 AM
link   
I'm one of those right leaning independents that has no viable candidate to vote for this election.

I want the Iraq occupation to end now...which makes McCain not very attractive. I'm also concerned with his age which is going to make his VP choice very important.

I have many issues with Obama. I think his economic policies are going to be a disaster for the country. I was very pleased with his recent change in energy policy though. My major issue with Obama is that if he's in office with a democrat controlled congress there's no longer a veto threat and they're going to pass laws that are 180 degrees opposite of what I believe is right for the country.

Having said that, I haven't locked down exactly where my vote is going yet. It's going to be pretty hard to convince me that Obama is a good idea, but I don't want to rule that out until I watch the debates. If I was a gambler, I'd bet on either a vote against Obama (McCain) or a write-in at this point.

posted on Aug, 6 2008 @ 11:57 AM
link   
I will vote for anyone who is NOT a Democrat or a Republican. Deciding between Democrats or Republicans is like choosing between the Bloods and the Crips.

[edit on 8-6-2008 by groingrinder]

posted on Aug, 6 2008 @ 12:15 PM
link   
I agree with the poster that stated I would rather Obama pick our next Supreme Court Justices.

As far as protecting us from terrorists, thats the Job of the FBI, CIA, Army, Marines, Air Force, And Navy, and our state and local authorities. I don't think who ever is in the White House makes much of a difference and if it does the worst attack ever on American soil was under the current administration, I find it interesting that their failure to protect us on 9/11 somehow equates that we are safe under their leadership. [not meaning to derail here]

The majority of Americans want change, meaning things need to be different than they are now, personally McCain represents just more of the same wrapped in a different package. We need a foreign policy that will not bankrupt us, and make us the most hated country since the Soviet Union.

McCain is too old and considering what he has gone threw in his life I have to question his mental state, just like Republicans did in 2000. With Obama lets just say the thought of people actually having sex in the White House is a good thing.

Obama could become for the Liberal movement what Reagan was for the conservative movement, I think the conservative movement is dead.

IF I do Vote I will have to vote for Obama, we are all ready for a breath of fresh air and a positive direction.

[edit on 6-8-2008 by LDragonFire]

posted on Aug, 6 2008 @ 01:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by Andrew E. Wiggin

Originally posted by sos37
Pathway to citizenship for illegal immigrants? No way!

Thank you for your opinion on Obama

it is nice to talk about things that people care about, instead of what the media gives us.

One thing however, the reason you gave that i outlined above "Pathway to citizenship for illegal immigrants? No way!"

Both candidates support that. Im not sure if you were aware, but McCain has repeatedly said he's for it. He even wants immigrants to be allowed to run for president.

Issues2000.org

its all there

I know. It's a frustrating thing about McCain, but it's something I believe is more likely to change in a Republican POTUS than a Democratic one under intense voter pressure.

posted on Aug, 6 2008 @ 01:39 PM
link   
So are we only to choose Obama or McCain?...Ron Paul actually did leave a couple recommendations: Bob Barr and Chuck Baldwin. Which I haven't investigated yet....but if I had to choose between Obama and McCain, it would be McCain. While I detest the foreign policy he will adopt, the republican party has been a strong supporter for nuclear energy and that is our nation's future.

posted on Aug, 6 2008 @ 01:57 PM
link   
I think the whole show is a scam so I wasn't intending to vote, however after seeing Paris's ad I think I'm voting for Paris Hilton.

To me a vote for Paris is the biggest insult to could give to the election system.

Vas

I know the OP says only to pick McBama or OCain but the thread is titled "Who are you voting for and why". I wouldn't vote for a Democrat or Republican if you held a gun to my head told me I had to pick one or die. Sorry(except I'm not).

posted on Aug, 6 2008 @ 02:08 PM
link   
I dont vote because Ive committed felonious acts that would cause me to feel guilty if I voted. I hope all other felons who get away with their crimes are courteous as well and either turn themselves in or do not muddy up the vote.
Also, homegrown terrorists, please, do not vote either, we dont need your foul input.

posted on Aug, 6 2008 @ 02:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by jamie83
He is also not a racially divisive, which Obama is. Obama talks about racial unity and healing, but he repeatedly stereotypes people along the lines of race. In fact, I would go as far as saying that it is Obama, his wife, and their supporters who are obsessed with the race and want to make it a central focus of their campaign.

McCain is somebody who is middle of the road, and not one to alienate groups of people the way Obama has.

Sen. John McCain told reporters, "I hated the gooks. I will hate them as long as I live."

John McCain supported the rescinding of Martin Luther King Day.

Yes except for maybe those tidbits, John McCain "isn't one to alienate groups of people".

posted on Aug, 6 2008 @ 02:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by maybereal11

He is also not a racially divisive, which Obama is. Obama talks about racial unity and healing, but he repeatedly stereotypes people along the lines of race. In fact, I would go as far as saying that it is Obama, his wife, and their supporters who are obsessed with the race and want to make it a central focus of their campaign.

McCain is somebody who is middle of the road, and not one to alienate groups of people the way Obama has.

Sen. John McCain told reporters, "I hated the gooks. I will hate them as long as I live."

Yes except for maybe those tidbits, John McCain "isn't one to alienate groups of people".

If you're going to quote candidates, please have the courtesy to post links to back your quotes up.

posted on Aug, 6 2008 @ 03:00 PM
link   
reply to post by maybereal11

I could not agree more!!!

Bravo.

John McCain is a bigoted old man. He lets his age overrule him.

posted on Aug, 6 2008 @ 03:25 PM
link   
I've not made up my mind yet, and probably won't until the moment I fill out my ballot...up until that time I'm going to keep listening and reading about every single candidate who has declared. Party means nothing to me, I'm voting the man on the ballot, not his affiliation.

Quite frankly, I don't trust either one of the major candidates, for differing reasons...

...but my mind isn't made up as yet. Still a long summer and fall to go yet. One of the candidates can separate from the pack.

posted on Aug, 6 2008 @ 03:56 PM
link   
I going to vote for Obama for several reasons. I am one of those that feel our country is heading in the wrong direction. I think that there are way too many lobbyists and special interest groups controlling the people that are supposed to represent us. This will not change under a McCain administration, and four years from now we will be kicking ourselves for electing him.

Obama has recognized the problem of lobbyists, and when he won the votes needed for the nomination, immediately declared the democratic party would not be accepting campaign donations from lobbyists.

Obama has also said he would review all presidential orders and reverse any that "trample on liberty".

He said he would also bring our troops home from Iraq in 16 months, and even the Iraqi prime minister al Maliki agreed with that time frame.

I also believe that the republican party should loose this election and learn a hard lesson for letting us be mislead into this war. If impeachment is off the table, then this is another way to send that message.

We also need to look hard at Congress as well this election. If our representatives are working for special interests and not for us, let's get rid of them. After Obama is elected, we need to continue to keep pressure on him and Congress to move in the right direction.

posted on Aug, 6 2008 @ 04:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by sos37

Originally posted by maybereal11

If you're going to quote candidates, please have the courtesy to post links to back your quotes up.

Sorry about that sos. I assumed it was common knowledge...Here are a few links for starters, if you want a million more just google McCain and the derragotory word he uses.

John McCain's Racial Remark Troubling
seattlepi.nwsource.com...

Revisiting John McCain’s Hatred Towards “Gooks”
whitehouser.com...

McCain calls Vietmanese Gooks
www.voteforbreakfast.com...

posted on Aug, 6 2008 @ 04:20 PM
link   
reply to post by sos37

Here is another link that pretty much sums it up as far as McCain...
Racist, Bigot, Homophobe
www.capitolhillblue.com...

posted on Aug, 6 2008 @ 04:25 PM
link   
I have debated this before to no avail. It is a military thing for the most part. When I was in the war, we called the enemy ragheads.

Do I think all Arabs are ragheads? no

Do I refer terrorist as ragheads? yes

Is it a derogatory remark? yes

Is it a racist remark? no

Being honest, if the enemy had tortured me for many years, would I consider them ragheads? yes

Am I racist? no

In my view this gook thing is overblown. You mean nobody has ever pissed you off enough that you called them a Biotch, the N word, or some other similar insulting word.

Those without sin may now cast the first stone.

Now back to the subject. I am still undecided. Neither candidate has proven nothing to me. Especially since they are both US Senators and are telling us to wait till one of them gets elected before they fix everything. They have been running for President how long. We Americans have been struggling how long. This demonstrates that they don't even believe what they are saying. Because if they did they would have been in Congress a long time ago helping to pass meaningful legislation to problems that are hurting us at this moment.

posted on Aug, 6 2008 @ 04:25 PM
link   
reply to post by maybereal11

Nah it's cool, and I'm not calling anyone a liar on here unless I know better. I'm trying to see that all of the facts are presented correctly on this board. There's already enough slander coming from both sides.

That being said, thanks for posting these links. Being that McCain was a POW I can see why he would make his comment about "gooks", but that also to me seems like a shining opportunity to take the issue public and make some sort of "I've forgiven them for what they did to me and now I have moved on; I'm sorry for my remarks, blah blah blah" campaign stunt. What I don't understand is why he's not playing those sorts of political cards.

posted on Aug, 6 2008 @ 04:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by jam321
I have debated this before to no avail. It is a military thing for the most part. When I was in the war, we called the enemy ragheads.

Do I think all Arabs are ragheads? no

Do I refer terrorist as ragheads? yes

Is it a derogatory remark? yes

Is it a racist remark? no

Being honest, if the enemy had tortured me for many years, would I consider them ragheads? yes

Am I racist? no

In my view this gook thing is overblown. You mean nobody has ever pissed you off enough that you called them a Biotch, the N word, or some other similar insulting word.

Now back to the subject. I am still undecided. Neither candidate has proven nothing to me. Especially since they are both US Senators and are telling us to wait till one of them gets elected before they fix everything. They have been running for President how long. We Americans have been struggling how long. This demonstrates that they don't even believe what they are saying. Because if they did they would have been in Congress a long time ago helping to pass meaningful legislation to problems that are hurting us at this moment.

It's not just "the gook thing"...here I started a thread that might clarify McCain's racism...www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Aug, 6 2008 @ 04:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by jam321

Now back to the subject. .....

No. I have never been pissed off and called anyone the N word. I have done my fair share of cursing and called people various things, but the color of someones skin never played a part in choosing adjectives.

As far as "back to the subject"...this subject was your choosing when you said Obama was a racist and McCain didn't "alienate entire groups of people", but I guess it's a topic you no longer want to discuss when it comes back at you.

This just isn't him being racist toward asians because he was a POW...see my thread. There is a long history.

www.abovetopsecret.com...

top topics

<< 1   >>

join