It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

'Japan PM Announces Plans To Cut 60-80 Percent Of Emissions'

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 10 2008 @ 10:21 AM
link   

TOKYO (AFP) - Prime Minister Yasuo Fukuda said Monday that Japan would aim to cut greenhouse gas emissions blamed for global warming by 60 to 80 percent by 2050 from current levels and launch an experimental carbon market.

"Japan as a nation will try to establish a low-carbon society that we can be proud of to the world by setting a long-term target of reducing greenhouse emissions by 60 to 80 percent from the current level by 2050," Fukuda told a news conference...

"We will start the implementation of a cap-and-trade system in the domestic integrated market on an experimental basis by as early as this fall while calling for the participation of as many sectors and companies as possible," Fukuda said.

link

Sounds like he is taking a lot of heat from every political faction in Japan; however, it takes a true leader to stand up the vested interest in government and to take a nation forward.

So many people will dismiss this man as a Climate Change loony but the bottom line is simple. Climate Change or not humanity is in a rut, we are desperately clinging to outdated technology and as a result have become stagnant. The human world is no different than the natural world an in the natural stagnation is the death of a species.

The time has come for us to begin to move forward and because of this belief I feel that the actions of the Japanese PM and others like him are the people who will lead the human race into the future.

edit: to add link

[edit on 10-6-2008 by Animal]

posted on Jun, 10 2008 @ 10:25 AM
link   

Why is it always the japanese who are the pilots for social and economic re-structuring these days?

What happened to letting us Brit's have the soft spot!

[edit on 10-6-2008 by Anti-Tyrant]

posted on Jun, 10 2008 @ 10:54 AM
link   
Yes Japan seems to be a very progressive nation is some regards, and quite backwards in others. I have a lot of respect for them but also have a hard time condoning them or embracing them as world leaders. At least on this issue they have my respect.

posted on Jun, 10 2008 @ 11:15 AM
link   
You left out the most important part of the article:

Japan is far behind in meeting its obligations under the Kyoto Protocol as its economy gradually recovers from recession.

In a bid to help Japan comply, Fukuda said that Japan would start a so-called "cap-and-trade" system on a trial basis.

A cap-and-trade system mandates cuts in greenhouse gas output and creates an economic incentive for businesses by letting them trade emissions credits.

So what is Japan's penalty for not meeting its obligations under the Kyoto Protocol? Is there any consequence for not meeting obligations, and if not, what use is Kyoto? In retrospect, it looks like a great decision not to have the U.S. agree to be part of the Kyoto Protocol if the other nations who signed on weren't going to comply anyway.

Further, I wonder if there is a connection between Japan's recession and it's efforts to comply with the Kyoto Protocol.

If they couldn't comply with the Kyoto Protocol what makes anybody think that their next brainstorm, cap-and-trade, is going to work?

posted on Jun, 10 2008 @ 04:18 PM
link   
I would say: It is all about progress NOT perfection. Seeing as how we are dealing with humans, and their unusually erratic nature, making the attempt means a lot. I can not think of many instances where humanity was able to achieve a goal in a perfect manner. So I am not so harsh as to dismiss the intent based on past or present outcomes.

Still your point is taken and thus Japan's intended actions must be taken with a grain of slat.

posted on Jun, 10 2008 @ 06:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by jamie83
Further, I wonder if there is a connection between Japan's recession and it's efforts to comply with the Kyoto Protocol.

I'm fairly certain there is - the recession certainly took the edge off public and private sector initiative to invest in new technology.

Now that the worst seems to have passed, and there's another new man at the helm, things seem to be picking up. There's a big push on for more gov't R&D money (the biggest relevant cut during the recession), and I expect that there will be an announcement on that front in the next week or so.

top topics

join