It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Amazing USS Reagan Cutaway View

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 8 2008 @ 12:27 AM
link   
I searched to see if this had been posted before but didnt see it.

I have always wondered just what was beneath the hull in all the pictures of the aircraft carriers I've seen. In general, I'm dumbfounded by the size and scope of them. This finally put it into perspective for me. After a closer look, I am completely in awe. Simply amazing.

Click here for a massive pic of the image below

Apparently, this image is the result of a 3D model of the ship created by Patrick Turner.

It's baaack! One million polygons of high resolution model of the latest Aircraft Carrier, CVN-76, the U.S.S. Reagan. This is the highest resolution model of the aircraft carrier yet produced and was originally created to show a cutaway that you can see samples of at www.patrickturner.com in the military gallery. The cutaway has been removed on this model but you will get everything that can be seen externally on the ship (plus the hangar bay). The model was completed from plans and has some upgrades over the last posted version.

This model was designed for high resolution print (appearing in Maxim Magazine and Popular Mechanics) but has separate layers and pivots for many of the moving/animatable parts. The model comes with deck equipment including: deckcrane, bomb carts and forklifts. It also comes with medium resolution 'ready' and 'stowed' versions of the F18C (The Reagan is scheduled to have only F18C/D/E/F as fighter and bomber squadrons. No F14 Tomcats! ) which are moveable but non-poseable. Only the F18C is included. These were intended to be cloned to produce a full deck complement. See also the carrier_F18.zip available elsewhere at Turbosquid for a poseable version. Also available elsewhere at Turbosquid is the CVN76deckcrw_lwo.zip which will allow you to populate the decks with 'shirts'. The Deckequip_lwo.zip is included in this model but you can search that model out for good previews of what you get.

The model was designed for high resolution print and may be too large to be used directly in a game, but, the model is technically correct and can be used as a template for a lower resolution model and can be used to provide very high resolution maps or for UV or baking textures. Full texture maps are included (including illumination maps and perimeter lighting for night operations) and UV maps should now import directly into 3DS as well. IFW2 plug was used for the ship's hull plating and you may have to substitute a similar plug-in.

Elevators, F18s, deck equipment, Sparrow and RAM positions, blast deflectors as well as all major components of the ship are on separate layers for easy animation or for reducing poly count if you don't see them in your image.

Come visit our website at www.patrickturner.com to see more high resolution modeling. If you don't see what you're looking for we can build it for you.

Wow, I'd like to take a virtual stroll through that model.....

posted on Jun, 9 2008 @ 06:21 PM
link   
Wow, that's cool. My father-in-law served on the KittyHawk and was very impressed when I showed him this. I'd like to take a virtual walk through this model as well.

posted on Jun, 27 2008 @ 11:28 PM
link   
If you think these babies are big,just checkout tis website below
www.oasisoftheseas. Its about a new passenger cruiseship starting service next December of 09,just some statistics,2220,000 tons over 1000 feet plus long and the width is unknown at this time and will carry 5400 passengers not including the crew. This ship is going to be awesome,plus they are building a sister ship to this one.

Check it out lads.

posted on Jun, 29 2008 @ 12:29 AM
link   
Ugh....I would HATE serving aboard an aircraft carrier...thank god I will NEVER see a ship in my carear in the Navy. My uncle served on the Kittyhawk as well. They would call it the "sh88tttyhawk." lol

Also, there is a documentary about life on a carrier for those interested go to www.pbs.org

Best Regards,

Richie

posted on Jun, 29 2008 @ 10:35 AM
link   
reply to post by Anonymous ATS

Thanks for posting that (whoever you are), that ship is ablosutely mind blowing in scope....

Here is the hotlink: (check out the video)
Main Page

Image Gallery

posted on Jul, 6 2008 @ 04:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by Anonymous ATS
If you think these babies are big,just checkout tis website below
www.oasisoftheseas. Its about a new passenger cruiseship starting service next December of 09,just some statistics,2220,000 tons over 1000 feet plus long and the width is unknown at this time and will carry 5400 passengers not including the crew. This ship is going to be awesome,plus they are building a sister ship to this one.

Check it out lads.

one freak wave, and that ship is BYE BYE...

look at the HEIGHT of it - a sideways hit from a freak wave will mean that the entire force of the wave will impact along the entire side of that ship : as in the FULL force of the wave.

a ship with a much lower profile would see most of the wave's force pass overhead - and thus far less side impact damage.

this race to create bigger and bigger cruise ships is going to end in some godawful disaster, if they arent careful...

posted on Jul, 6 2008 @ 04:12 PM
link   
some further reading on the "freak wave" phenomenon...

en.wikipedia.org...

i just think that with this mania for bigger and bigger cruise ships, we're entering into "Titanic" territory - in that there's an arrogance with the designs that does not take account of the forces of mother nature.

[edit on 6-7-2008 by netron]

posted on Jul, 6 2008 @ 04:26 PM
link   
The cutaway of USS Ronald Reagan just makes me think ships of this class are as much vulnerable to torpedo attack as their smaller stablemates.

Midships you've got machine rooms, magazines & reactor compartments.

One hit and that ship is dead in the water, I'm sorry to say.

posted on Jul, 10 2008 @ 03:25 PM
link   
I served onboard two nuclear submarine in the US Navy. We use to joke that it would take two torpedos to sink a carrier. To many moving parts for just one.

new topics

top topics

join