It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Heading Due South

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 7 2008 @ 08:14 AM
link   

Heading Due South

explorations.ucsd.edu

Earth's magnetic field has been steadily weakening since 1845, when scientists began tracking it. Its strength has waxed and waned throughout Earth's history and sometimes, at its weakest moments, has reversed in polarity. Reversals happen on average every 250,000 years, and the last full reversal occurred 780,000 years ago, which suggests the next one is overdue.
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
io9.com
www.vorchester.com

posted on Jun, 7 2008 @ 08:14 AM
link   
Not new to a lot of us, but confirmed by an official scientific source. Found it on vorchester.com. It will probably shift around the same time as everything else, around 2012. All of the news lately seems pretty gloomy and a little scary.

explorations.ucsd.edu
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jun, 7 2008 @ 08:28 AM
link   
I guess it depends on the source but there doesn't seem to be any way to predict when one's due or overdue.

en.wikipedia.org...
The changing frequency of geomagnetic reversals over time

The rate of reversals in the Earth's magnetic field has varied widely over time. 72 million years ago (Ma), the field reversed 5 times in a million years. In a 4-million-year period centered on 54 Ma, there were 10 reversals; at around 42 Ma, 17 reversals took place in the span of 3 million years. In a period of 3 million years centering on 24 Ma, 13 reversals occurred. No less than 51 reversals occurred in a 12-million-year period, centering on 15 million years ago. These eras of frequent reversals have been counterbalanced by a few long periods when no reversals took place, as described below.

posted on Jun, 7 2008 @ 08:32 AM
link   
From what I've heard before once it starts moving, it will be gradual at first and then all of the sudden snap. I think they were basing the overdue part on the average reversal rate of 250,000 years, and the fact that it's been 780,000 since the last one. Sounds pretty overdue to me, and it is moving now.

posted on Jun, 7 2008 @ 09:29 AM
link   
I am curious if when the pole shift happens and when that snap happens if it will cause mass shifts in the oceans and continents as well.There was a prediction I read once that things will change in a twinkling of an eye.It also said something like all the people will be knocked off their feet. I just can't remember what prophecy it was or who wrote it. Anyone have any idea?

posted on Jun, 7 2008 @ 09:40 AM
link   
It seems to me that when the magnetic pole shifts, it will expose earth to harsher effects of the sun. It would probably cause dramatic shifts in the weather, at least until the shift is over.

I think that the sun is currently in a pole shift as well. I wonder if it is dragging the rest of the planets into pole shift. It might explain why there seems to be climate changes occuring on a lot of the planets in our solar system.

I'm not sure it would cause people to get knocked off there feet though unless you are on an exposed portion of earth during a direct hit from a solar flare, maybe. In that case you might not be getting back up either.

posted on Jun, 7 2008 @ 10:35 AM
link   

Originally posted by CaptGizmo
I am curious if when the pole shift happens and when that snap happens if it will cause mass shifts in the oceans and continents as well.There was a prediction I read once that things will change in a twinkling of an eye.It also said something like all the people will be knocked off their feet. I just can't remember what prophecy it was or who wrote it. Anyone have any idea?

thats a crust displacement i think, not a magentic pole shift
IE, the polke stays where it is, but the whole earths crust moves as one
or something like that

posted on Jun, 7 2008 @ 03:05 PM
link   
Well...all theories aside...let's hope this never actually happens in our life time. People always seem to look forward to the end, but quite frankly, I'd much rather be able to have an opportunity live a happy life. There are so many variables that I think it's hard to say that we are overdue, such as the moon being further away from the Earth than it once was, along with new atmospheric and tectonic conditions. If it's been that long...let's hope it holds back another 100 years or more. I personally, don't want to live through it...I'm pretty sure a shift would knock out most technologies and cause many deaths, including possibly me and many many members here.

[edit on 7-6-2008 by yellowcard]

posted on Jun, 7 2008 @ 04:26 PM
link   
I'm with you on the happy life thing. I don't look forward to it. Its a good possibility though that it will happen in our lifetime, maybe very soon.

posted on Jun, 7 2008 @ 08:24 PM
link   
I think the Mayans saw a pole reversal and that is what we have coming up in 2012. I don't know how they figured that, but I've heard alot of their stuff has been pretty accurate to this point, so I'm not ready to discredit them just yet.

So I believe thats what we have coming up in December of 2012.

Reading up on what exactly a pole reversal would bring, it doesn't look good. I guess it depends on the source like everything else, and frankly, I'm nowhere near an expert on pole reversals and what the consequences and results would be.

What would it mean for life on Earth? Does the gravitational field reverse or does the Earth physically shift, thus making the Northern Hemisphere the Southern Hemisphere, and vice versa? Would the Earth be exposed to meteors, comets and asteroids? Would the Earth be exposed to dangerous radiation from the Sun? Do you think our leaders know this and that is why they are quickly constructing their underground cities and "doomsday vaults"?

If anyone more intelligent than me on this subject (just about anyone) could answer those questions for me, it would be of great help.

posted on Jun, 7 2008 @ 11:05 PM
link   
If the magnetic field, internal spin of the earth, and gravity are related... then that may have something to do with getting knocked off your feet.

Personally I believe this and more will be happening when the time comes.

posted on Jun, 7 2008 @ 11:12 PM
link   
Wow!!! I live right in the right time period!!! Reversals happen on average every 250,000 yet for some reason we are going on over 780,000 years. Um were way behind here. Someone needs to tell earths magnetic field!!!

While were at it someone should tell Yellowstone, and planet X and comets, and we can go on and on that their all way over due for their time.

posted on Jun, 7 2008 @ 11:40 PM
link   
I believe that this polar shift thing has had a direct hand in what's been happening with the birds and the bees. (don't get any funny ideas, please)

A while back, there were articles about many bees disappearing. Many many birds that migrate were getting turned around, ending up in the wrong areas during the wrong time of year and dying off.
I think that these animals have an instinct or a sense that allows them to migrate, based on the polar magnetics... Which could explain all of the die-offs.

Or it could be completely UN-related. I don't know anything, but this polar shift thing is what I've been claiming "Global Warming" is attributed to, eversince it's creation.

EDIT: Damn typo

[edit on 7-6-2008 by LostNemesis]

posted on Jun, 7 2008 @ 11:40 PM
link   
Oh dear... someone needs to get ready to re-write the boy scout manuals. North might not be so north tomorrow. Heh.

Honestly though, we are so finished with magnetic geography, it really wouldn't matter. The geosync satellites are what we use for navigation now. If the earths magnetic poles reverse, big deal, so north is south... is that going to stop us for producing or using electricity? No. Is that going to screw up the earths climate? No. Essentially, it's not going to amount to anything other than a few aurora effects, and the old compasses going upside down.

posted on Jun, 7 2008 @ 11:59 PM
link   
I recommend reading this book on the magnetism of earth:

Book

-kdial1

posted on Jun, 8 2008 @ 12:23 AM
link   
Someone asked a question if we were going to be at a greater risk due to meteors and comets if the magnetic poles reverse. I can say no you won't be. We may live in a cosmic shooting gallery but your risk will remain the same. I believe you have a greater risk of dying in a car accident.

posted on Jun, 8 2008 @ 01:48 AM
link   

Originally posted by Shar
While were at it someone should tell Yellowstone, and planet X and comets, and we can go on and on that their all way over due for their time.

I was thinking the exact same thing. We seem to be "overdue" for all sorts of things. Funny how that happens.

posted on Jun, 8 2008 @ 02:19 AM
link   
the magnetic pole is in CONSTANT motion , this is nothing new , scary or significant - just look at an old map or nautical chart - the magnetic offset is recorded along with the date - and the predicted rate of shift over the next few years

here is a scan of a 1954 OS map , cropped to show the relevant notes :

why do people bring this 2012 twaddle into EVERY topic ??

posted on Jun, 8 2008 @ 02:48 AM
link   

Originally posted by mythatsabigprobe
I guess it depends on the source but there doesn't seem to be any way to predict when one's due or overdue.

en.wikipedia.org...
The changing frequency of geomagnetic reversals over time

72 million years ago (Ma),
5 times in a million years = 1 every 200.000 years

54 Ma,
10 times in 4-million-years = 1 every 400.000 years

at around 42 Ma,
17 times in 3 million years = 1 every 176.000 years

centering on 24 Ma,
13 times in 3 million years = 1 every 230.000 years

centering on 15 million years ago
51 times in 12-million-years = 1 every 235.000 years

I know that there were probably fast and slow shifts within the periods mentioned, but on average... the times seems pretty consistent.

Also look at that chart from wiki:

It does look interesting. So maybe we are do for a nice big shift and then peace in the atmosphere for a long time. Of course this is impossible to guess

[edit on 8/6/08 by flice]

[edit on 8/6/08 by flice]

posted on Jun, 8 2008 @ 02:58 AM
link   
sheesh!! we are overdue for everything according to scientists and the scary thought is it is all massive things. super volcanoes, super earthquakes, etc and now this?
just hope it doesn't all hit at once.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join