It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Anti-Counterfeiting Trade Agreement

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 6 2008 @ 05:38 PM
link   
I couldn't find a thread about this but I feel it's an issue that really needs more light shed on it (I even joined to discuss this).

The Anti-Counterfeiting Trade Agreement (ACTA) "plurilateral trade agreement that would impose strict enforcement of intellectual property rights related to Internet activity and trade in information-based goods". It's to be discussed at the 34th G8 summit next month. At the moment it's been kept out of the public eye, including to media. It was leaked a while back, but only small snippets of it. It will essentially turn the internet into a police state. If your nation decides to participate, you will see some very dire changes to your freedom. And the worst thing is, once a member joins, they can't really back out.

ISP's will be forced to supply any and all personal information about you, your family, and what you do to the internet without the police/law enforcement having a warrant.

You will be searched at the border if you're suspected of having pirated material on your iPod, laptop, flash drive, cell phone, PDA etcetera. Legit mp3s/movies/etcetera or not, customs agents will be able to detain you, and your property may even be destroyed at one point.

All forms of encryption on the internet will become illegal.

Forget lawyers and warrants, this will all be ex parte.

You can read a better written, more detailed story of this here.

This would essentially make the internet useless to a good majority of people.

join