It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Secret deal for a permanent U.S presence in Iraq

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 5 2008 @ 02:27 PM
link   

Secret deal for a permanent U.S presence in Iraq

www.counterpunch.org

A secret deal being negotiated in Baghdad would perpetuate the American military occupation of Iraq indefinitely, regardless of the outcome of the U.S. presidential election in November.

The terms of the impending deal, details of which have been leaked to this reporter, are likely to have an explosive political effect in Iraq.
Iraqi officials fear that the accord, under which U.S. troops would occupy permanent bases, conduct military operations, arrest Iraqis and enjoy immunity from Iraqi law, will destabilize Iraq's position in the Middle East and lay the basis for unending conflict in their country.
But the accord also threatens to provoke a political crisis in the U.S.
President Bush wants to push it through by the end of next month so he can declare a military victory and claim his 2003 invasion has been vindicated.

(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jun, 5 2008 @ 02:27 PM
link   
An extremly interesting story. I trust the source as Cockburn has been proven right again and again. I don't understand how it can be allowed that 5 months before an election this administration can be allowed to push through an agreement that will be in place for years after.

The Iraqi government seems to have no choice in accepting this deal whether they like it or not as they need the American presence to keep them in power. America needs to leave and leave completly. No if's no but's, a permanent removal of troops.

www.counterpunch.org
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jun, 5 2008 @ 03:26 PM
link   
We were already building the largest base in Iraq, so I can't see how it wouldn't be a permanent one. I believe this falls under an illegal occupation.

What would the world's sentiments be like if the tables were turned, where Saddam was still in power and alive, and he did not like how Bush was taking away American freedoms, and then decide to invade the US and build permanent military posts here?

Would we Americans allow the Iraqi guard to police our country, before establishing their own form of government, or would we fight back?

[edit on 5-6-2008 by DJMessiah]

posted on Jun, 5 2008 @ 03:36 PM
link   
reply to post by DJMessiah

Well the largest embassy anyway. Doesn't look as if anyone is going to dislodge the Americans from their newly created 'free-market democracy'. Eventually the Iraqi's will rise up enough mabye in 1 5 or 10 years and the Americans along with their contractors will be forced to evacuate just like Vietnam.

I swear it should be a requirement of every world leader to have a deep knowledge on History
Then mabye alot of these mistakes that are made again and again can be avoided.

I just hope the Iraqi's can resist this agreement before the Bush/Cheney axis is out of office....Then mabye they could extradite them to stand of war crimes.
Laughing becasue it is never going to happen!

new topics

top topics

join