It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Looking To Buy a New Precision Rifle

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 5 2008 @ 08:39 AM
link   
Hello, ATS subscribers. I'm a new poster, but an old lurker. As of January 2008, I've been getting into firearms now that I have a salaried job to support the hobby (I graduated May 2007 with an MBA). Here's a list of my guns in order of purchase:

M1 Garand (circa 1955)
Beretta Cx4 Storm
AR-15 (LMT MRP upper, POF Gen 3 lower, Magpul PRS - no glass currently)
Ruger 10/22
Romanian PSL

I really like every one of them for their own specific application, but I'm now looking for something in the the fine art of precision shooting. A while back, my friend suggested something from Accuracy International. He also uses an R700 when we're out at the range. I've been looking at the R700 myself, but the AI looks good as well. What appeals to me so much is the MARS (the top rail most famously used on the M24 of USMC fame) that I can purchase for any 700-type rifle as well as the adjustable stock and removeable 10-round magazine. I guess what I'm asking is:

1. Should I get the R700 or the AI?
A. If I go with AI, can I put the MARS on it?
B. If I choose to go with the R700, should I just save up for an M24A-series rifle?
2. .308 or .338 Lapua? Price aside, I'm looking for the better round. Perhaps there can be a compromise (ie. easily swappable?)?

Thanks in advance.

PS I would be using this at the shooting range in my area when I'm in town. I hear there's a good 400-meter range near me.

[edit on 5-6-2008 by Valera]

posted on Jun, 5 2008 @ 08:42 AM
link   
The .308 is a nice round some swat members use in thier Rem 700.What u wanna use this gun for?

posted on Jun, 5 2008 @ 08:55 AM
link   
alienstar,

Thanks for the heads up; I should've put that in the original post. I'm giong to use it at the gun range in my area. Supposedly, there's a 400-meter one around here. I edited my original post.

posted on Jun, 5 2008 @ 08:57 AM
link   
For the money...

You can't do better than a Savage... The AccuTrigger is lighter, crisper and safer than just about any custom job. I would recommend either their varmint series or the law enforcement series.

www.savagearms.com...

www.savagearms.com...

On a side note, a nice piece of glass for your AR would be the Millet DMS-1

www.millettsights.com...

I have one of these on my H&K.

posted on Jun, 5 2008 @ 09:05 AM
link   
Here are my two cents

The stock R700 has served as the basis for precision rifles for decades. The really nice "sniper" or police SWAT style bolt actions I see for sale are really nice.....and very expensive.

Will all of those really nice (expensive) features make you a better shooter? No. Will they make it easier for you to be accurate? Yep but, not 'better'.

If you were a member of a SWAT team where there was a good chance your rifle (with you attached to it) might be called into action, I could see the argument for all the bells and whistles. That is, people's lives are on the line and you want 'your' guys to have all the best equipment.

For me and you? I think the best solution is to buy a bone stock R700 (any config you favor) and then selectively upgrade as you become familiar with your new rifle and can better determine what you think are worthwhile customizations versus fancy-schmancy gizmos that look tactical but are worthless.

Keep in mind the R700 is the most prolific bolt action in history. You could literally customize your file piece by piece and eventually have not a single original part.

What do you think?

EDIT: Mirthful was a little faster on the posting than I was =)
I think his suggestion is a great one. I have no experience with the new Savage trigger but, I have heard many positive things and their prices are right (in my book).

[edit on 5-6-2008 by SlightlyAbovePar]

posted on Jun, 5 2008 @ 09:13 AM
link   

Originally posted by Mirthful Me
For the money...

You can't do better than a Savage...

Well if we're doing the "for the money" thing I would say you can't get better than a surplus Lee Enfield in terms of cost versus accuracy, but if the OP is talking about buying a rifle from AI, I don't think money is a problem.

A Rem 700, especially one of their custom tacticool jobs in .308Win topped off with something like a Leupold Vari-X III will likely shoot better than you can, don't forget to use match grade ammo, I happen to like Black Hills.

If you really want to go crazy, an AI in .338 Lapua will get plenty of ooohs and ahhhhs at the range, and is a true precision instrument, but you have to ask yourself if you're that good of a shot.

As for caliber, there has been a lot of discussion of late that the long range round we should all be using is .300 WinMag, it shoots flatter and is less affected by drift.

If it was me I'd start with a customized 700 and work my way up from there.

posted on Jun, 6 2008 @ 02:00 AM
link   
.338 Lapua Magnum would be my choise as it has the power needed to "effect" a target at 1000+m (we were talking about percision rifles? 400m is Assaut rifle range here
)

One rifle worth a closer look is Sako Trg-42. Solid weapon, often compared to AIs finest. It's reliable and in military use all over the world.

If you go .308 way, Tikka T3 Tactical is a good compromise between quality and price. CZs Sniper models are allso very accurate and very moderately priced.

posted on Jun, 6 2008 @ 02:40 AM
link   
M1A1. If you want precision with surplus availability. Springfield or Fulton armories, unless you want the SOCOM. Don't skimp for the Chinese Polytech crap, soft metal. Base model, standard infantry M14 will run you about $1500, but well worth it. Just ask any Vietnam vet, or hell, any present day sniper.

top topics

join