It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Ghost Hunters snag an obvious hoaxer?

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 8 2008 @ 08:46 AM
link   
reply to post by Voxel

No, I know what you're saying. Ghost Hunters are clearly not doing anything scientific - they're trying to help out particular instances of alleged hauntings. That means what's causing the hauntings has to be fully understood before the investigation will be able to come to any conclusion. That doesn't seem to stop them, though. When I say "investigation" I mean an investigation using the learned knowledge, not an investigation into the actual phenomenon. The former happens, as a service, in people's places of business/home, and the latter in scientific experiment.

Either way, I saw the show in question yesterday, and it was one of the funniest shows GH have ever done. Not a scrap of science, no understanding of anything, a lot of conclusions jumped to, and a waste of time for anything other than a "look at these clowns on TV" moment.

I was hanging out in a forum ages ago, and Jay or Grant (I can't remember which) was hanging out there, taking part in a Q&A session about Ghost Hunters. I had to give him some stick for using a demonologist and for their love of orbs. That was during the first season, though. Luckily now they at least try to look legitimate, even if they still have no idea about what they're doing.

posted on Jun, 9 2008 @ 12:37 AM
link   
i finally had time to watch the latest episode that contained the crazy hoaxing this thread has been talking about.

to me it seemed...convenient. notice the location of the hoaxing. california. they had previously aired many episodes from the west coast earlier in the season with all the same crew members. this episode with the hoaxing was one taken from the series of places they investigated during that time on the west coast. they only now just aired it...because? because it dealt with a known hoax. why?

to regain credibility.

it's known that jason and grant have been on ATS to do some casual discussions. about a month ago, there was a thread that brought up TAPS credibility and their lack of showing episodes where little or no results were found [www.abovetopsecret.com...].

at the time, i thought the Ghost Hunters season was over, no new episodes were known to air, and i argued that they were only showing episodes where they had found results, due to ratings and mass expectations. they continued the series a month later, and only a few episodes in do they cover fake haunts. a little convenient eh?

but about the hoax...TAPS were informed from their "family" about the location and like others have mentioned, it was not a secret that the placed was cosmetically altered to produce "paranormal" results. TAPS knew going into it that it was a bogus locale. they were genuinely annoyed with it, so i imagine, seeing what they already knew to exist just would make it even more annoying.

they were genuine in their reactions, just not genuine to their audience with knowing beforehand and acting like they had no idea.

posted on Jun, 9 2008 @ 11:34 AM
link   
Regardless of the knowledge of TAPS, it's still a reprehensible for this place to call them out there knowing all along that they were overtly hoaxing.

However, since TV is all about ratings and I can see where a show like this might boost their numbers just due to the novelty. Generally, though, I tend to think of Grant and Jason as upfront types of guys. YMMV.

new topics

<< 1   >>

join