It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

McCain: I'd Spy on Americans Secretly, Too

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 4 2008 @ 04:35 PM
link   

McCain: I'd Spy on Americans Secretly, Too

blog.wired.com

If elected president, Senator John McCain would reserve the right to run his own warrantless wiretapping program against Americans, based on the theory that the president's wartime powers trump federal criminal statutes and court oversight, according to a statement released by his campaign Monday.

McCain's new tack towards the Bush administration's theory of executive power comes some 10 days after a McCain surrogate stated, incorrectly it seems, that the senator wanted hearings into telecom companies' cooperation with President Bush's warrantless wiretapping program, before he'd support giving those companies retroactive legal immunity.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jun, 4 2008 @ 04:35 PM
link   
GEE... he makes me feel secure already.

Is it just me but doesn't McCain come across as totally clueless?

Its the constituition stupid!!!

blog.wired.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jun, 4 2008 @ 04:43 PM
link   
Somebody beat ya to this one Grover.

The other thread is HERE.

Done the same thing dozens of times myself!

posted on Jun, 4 2008 @ 04:44 PM
link   
Its not just you. I thought for sure I was going to be going with McCain this year back when he made it through the NH primary. ( I did vote for Huckabee in Florida but that was more about my hating the IRS) I just figured McCain would be the man. But you ain't kidding...that guy has said some stuff that even makes me feel retarded for supporting him. (and by the way, this post will be the last time I ever admit that anywhere)
Hey, maybe to be fair to myself, he could just have been trying so hard to win over the conservative base and so he really doesn't believe the stuff someone is telling him to say, so he can trip up often because of that.
I just don't know, but the poor guy is going to get his hat handed to him in the general. My advise to his staff, get some great makeup and practice practice practice his podium delivery.

posted on Jun, 4 2008 @ 05:48 PM
link   
I won't belittle his experience or his service to his country but he's not the straight shooter he likes to claim he is... remember the Keating five of the savings and loan scandal...

From Wikipedia:

The Keating Five were five United States Senators accused of corruption in 1989, igniting a major political scandal as part of the larger Savings and Loan crisis of the late 1980s and early 1990s. The five senators, Alan Cranston (D-CA), Dennis DeConcini (D-AZ), John Glenn (D-OH), John McCain (R-AZ), Donald W. Riegle (D-MI), were accused of improperly aiding Charles H. Keating, Jr., chairman of the failed Lincoln Savings and Loan Association, which was the target of an investigation by the Federal Home Loan Bank Board.

After a lengthy investigation, the Senate Ethics Committee determined in 1991 that Alan Cranston, Dennis DeConcini, and Donald Riegle had substantially and improperly interfered with the FHLBB in its investigation of Lincoln Savings. The Committee recommended censure for Cranston and criticized the other four for "questionable conduct."

All five of the senators involved served out their terms, but only Glenn and McCain ran for re-election (and were subsequently re-elected).

Personally I tend to think that the biggest argument for Barack Obama is his youth... with the problems facing our country we need someone who can think on their feet and is sharp.

[edit on 4-6-2008 by grover]

new topics

top topics

join