It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Sudden waking during sleep? (like a shock)

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 11 2008 @ 05:34 PM
link   
Last night was the third consecutive night that I did not wake up like this. I've always wondered if I might suffer from sleep apnea (I do snore plenty) and I often wake feeling hung over even when I had nothing to drink the night before. Anyhow, a few good nights rest has done me well. I hope this will turn out to be a trend and not just an intermission.

Thanks for all of the suggestions and advice everyone.

posted on Aug, 8 2008 @ 08:22 AM
link   
reply to post by Grizzly Bear

do you notice any increase of this condition if you eat late or spicy food? Last night i ate some chicken curry and half a samosa about two hours before going to bed and i had a number of "sleep jolts" that kept me up for the most of the evening.

Never a good idea to eat late and double that for eating spicy food late.

posted on Aug, 14 2008 @ 11:16 AM
link   
Sleep Apnea also causes this response. You cease to breathe for a small period of time and your body jerking is a reflex in response to lack of oxygen. Its kinda telling your body to breathe. The others things listed can also trigger this. I just know this is what causes me to jerk sometimes in my sleep and wake.

posted on Aug, 14 2008 @ 11:18 AM
link   
reply to post by Enigma7221

Sorry, I guess this will teach me to read to the end instead of trying to post at the beginning.

posted on Aug, 14 2008 @ 12:22 PM
link   
reply to post by Absence of Self

Your explanation in the first reason is an exact description of my symptoms. But is it possible to be at both ends of the symptomatic spectrum? I have the jolts, usually several per night, I have awoken and not been able to move, I explained this away as a really vivid dream, and I have done the sleep walking. One time I walked right off a flight of stairs. Luckily it was only 5 stairs and the wall abruptly halted my fall though. It was somewhat painful though. I have even woken up watching TV in the living room after falling asleep in bed. Is it possible that this is my condition? Can I actually have all of the effects?

Confused!!

posted on Aug, 14 2008 @ 12:24 PM
link   
Ive not had it when sleeping...but sometimes when im just lying there going to sleep it feels as if someone flipped my bed over or something and i jolt...pretty strange.

posted on Sep, 2 2008 @ 08:25 AM
link   
we seem to have an usualy large amount of sufferers located upon this website.

as far as i know involantary leg movement syndrome etc is very rare,the odds of so many people suffering from it who surf this site is beyond reason.

ive been researching electronic harrassment , the symptoms people describe here occur to every single person who is electronicly harrased.

its baffeling how many people start being harrassed after joininng ats , it really is.

the reason for prolonged electronic harassment is brainwashing , is ats a recruting station for electronic harrassment with the intention of gaining brainwashing victims?

im sure its not black and white,its somewhere in the middle and im sure those in the heirachy of this site already know.

in palm of my hand

posted on Sep, 7 2008 @ 12:53 PM
link   
I get the jolts. Common I know. Not in the middle of sleep, but shortly after going to sleep. They're pretty violent jolts. But that's ok .. I realise it's common.

When in that state .. ten or so minutes after falling asleep I suppose .. I'll sometimes be jolted wide awake by a sound. So far, I've explained it away by telling myself the sound is actually quite soft (a little click or creak for example) but somehow becomes magnified in my head so that it sounds massively loud.

But the thing that's disturbed me the most only happened once. Again, probably means nothing much. I was drifting in and out of sleep I think, not all that long after going to bed. 'Stuff' was going through my mind .. little dreams I suppose they were, mixed with bits of prayers and bits of memories of earlier in the day. Then, very suddenly, the screen of my mind went totally black. Doesn't sound like much, I realise. Difficult to describe. I think of it now as a momentary death. It was total. Total.

All the time, whether awake or asleep, 'stuff' fills our minds. It's what we're used to. It goes on in the background. We're not aware of it most of the time. Well, the sudden shutdown of my mind erased every bit of that 'stuff'. It was as if a switch had closed me down completely .. similar in a way to when I turn of my monitor/screen.

It only lasted a split second I guess. Then 'life and colour' returned to my mind in the form of thought, awareness. Can't describe it any better than that. I lay there in shock. I'd never experienced such total nothingness ever before. Little preview of brain-death I think.

Just popped back to edit this and add that the closest to describing it would be to say that it was exactly as if someone 'turned me off ' ... in the same way as we flick a switch and turn off a light, or a computer screen.
Then, after a second, I was 'turned on' again.

[edit on 7-9-2008 by Dock6]

posted on Sep, 8 2008 @ 05:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by xxpigxx
Some say it is your astral body returning from an out of body experience . . . or something like that.

I have been told the same thing with a little bit added to it.

I've been told its your astral body's why of saying its back safe and sound and if you dont jump you dont wake up as your astral body body goes straight through to the other side

posted on Sep, 9 2008 @ 07:32 PM
link   
hey its happening to me now isnt that a strange coincedence?.

no sleep aponea or involantary leg movement ,something strange is going on!.

it is said sudden waking from sleep can cause heart attacks ,is that the purpose of these events??.

posted on Sep, 29 2008 @ 02:06 PM
link   
I don't get "the jolts" as much as last week I was taking a nap (which I don't normally do) and I swear my husband grabbed my cigarettes and lighter off the nightstand next to me, took a cigarette, slammed my lighter on the bedside table and yelled at me "Well, are you going to make it???"

With that, I bolted out of bed looking for him. He was not home, and at work. It scared the crap out of me, and I haven't taken a nap since.

I wonder if it was my thought that I shouldn't have been napping, or if it was a "get the "hell" out of bed thought that jolted me from a deep sleep. I never said anything to him about it, cuz I didn't want him to know I had taken a nap that day.

Any thoughts???

A_L

posted on Sep, 29 2008 @ 03:51 PM
link   
Really bizarre this came up,Sunday morning about 3am when someone yelled"Hey" into my ear,scared the crap out of me,checked house and no one there

posted on Sep, 29 2008 @ 04:20 PM
link   
reply to post by SystemiK

Sounds like sleep apnia to me. Gets worse with stress? The sudden jolt is a gaspe for air.

posted on Sep, 29 2008 @ 04:21 PM
link   
reply to post by Enigma7221

Count me in on that too. Sorry everyone.

posted on Sep, 29 2008 @ 05:51 PM
link   
I get extremely similar 'awakenings' to these you guys have posted here... A lot of the time the OBE style; but also another one which I explained here: www.abovetopsecret.com...

But it's kind of like... I would be laying there, drifting off and everything would be quiet and then suddenly, out of nowhere there would be this loud, whoosing/roaring noise as though... Well to be honest, there's only a couple of things I could compare it to.

1: A television blurring out white noise / high pitch frequency or kind of like the screen you'd have on HBO right before Sex and the City (Yes I'm serious).

2: Turning the television off mute during a football/soccer game when a goal's just been scored and the crowd are roaring and then you suddenly switch it on mute again.

It's more like a fuzzy [white noise] hissing sound than a beep or high pitch noise... I know it probably sounds stupid to some but I used to get this constantly, even when the television wasn't on, it was say 1-2am in the morning and I was drifting off. But, it wouldn't happen every night just every now and then; maybe once or twice a week or something. - I just can't figure it out...

posted on Oct, 6 2008 @ 07:40 PM
link   
What u describe is a Myoclonus jerk. As u drift into deep sleep sometimes ur body thnks it is dying so ur nervous system kind of does a kick start. Hence the jerk.

posted on Dec, 8 2008 @ 08:17 PM
link   
[edit on 8-12-2008 by JenBar29]

posted on Feb, 5 2009 @ 08:56 AM
link   
reply to post by JenBar29

I have also read that this is one of the symptoms of Fibromyalgia.
I get the same thing, mine is when I just start falling asleep.
It sems to go in streaks, have it every night for a while, and than it goes away for a while. I also thought it may be stress related, oe anxiety.

posted on Sep, 25 2010 @ 01:32 PM
link   
wow...this happens to me sometimes too....as far as i can recollect now, it is always associated with a strong feeling of falling + some sort of panic feeling, veeeeery unpleasant. i usually fall asleep right away again. i do hope it is not sleep apnea (christ, suffocating in the sleep is extremely disturbing), happens very rarely. i do have a history of very vivid dreams, even sleepwalking when i was a kid and i was told i talk some sort of gibberish in my sleep from time to time. thx for a lot of info on this topic everybody, didnt think it is as common, actually i just though i am weird

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join