It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Let's Just wait for the Dvd...

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 4 2008 @ 07:48 AM
link   
The prices of everything are going up, and it seems even our favorite weekend outing to the movies is not immune.

Seriouseats.com blogger Robyn Lee reports that ‘Due to the increasing costs of popcorn, the price of movie tickets is expected to skyrocket by as much as 30 per cent this year. Reasons include the increasing demand for ethanol, the low yields of this year's popcorn crop, the rising cost in coconut oil for popping corn, and the increasing cost of producing paper popcorn tubs.’

movies.sympatico.msn.ca...

How much are you willing to pay for a night out at the movies?
I go to the theatre here on Tuesdays, which is half price night. The admission is $4.20. I never buy popcorn or other snacks as the prices are unreal already.
$8.00 for a large popcorn. $4.00 for a drink to go with it.

Last night on the bus there was an elderly gentlemen, I'd say about mid seventies, and he was discussing various things about his youth in the city, to the bus driver.
He said, he remembered being 10 years old, and his father giving him 25 cents to go see a movie, and 10 cents to buy popcorn.
Those were definitely the good old days.

posted on Jun, 4 2008 @ 08:19 AM
link   
wow AD, I am jealous, we haven't paid less than $12 just for a ticket for years in Australia where I am from. Last I recall I paid $14.50 for a ticket in a regular theatre. The drive-in I frequent used to show you 2 movies for $12 each and that has since changed to the standard $14 for one.

And yeah about the same for popcorn and food.

*sigh* Yep the good ole days are certainly long gone

Although I am enjoying $2 - and even $1 movie night - here on base.
One idea is if you have a friend or family that can get you onto a military base and go see movies there
hehe shhhhh

Thankfully we have netflix now

[edit on 4-6-2008 by ImJaded]

posted on Jun, 4 2008 @ 08:23 AM
link   
Recently I've attended 2 movies. One was the Indiana Jones flick, and the other IronMan (I recommend that one). $8.00 to get in. $5.00 for an Icee. I couldn't tell you how much popcorn would have cost me since I didn't pick up any. I suspect that if they aren't careful the theaters are going to price themselves right out of the market as far as snacks are concerned.

posted on Jun, 4 2008 @ 08:29 AM
link   
reply to post by ImJaded

We do have a military base here, but no theatre that is open to the public..only a community centre and swimming pool.
Yes, I suppose considering what you are paying, I'm lucky. But that is a deal only offered on Tuesday nights. And trust me, every cinema is packed. There are seven cinemas in the theatre and each holds about 100 people.
I find it hard to believe that they are not making enough money as it is, when the tickets and the snacks are outrageously priced already.

DESON- Yep, I saw Ironman. Definitely worth the money. Indiana Jones..I hated it..totally cliche. A waste of $4.20.

posted on Jun, 4 2008 @ 08:36 AM
link   
reply to post by AccessDenied

Ahh understood

And I'm not trying to get one up on ya or nothing, but it's been a case of only if I REALLY wanna see it for years now back home and I guess it's becoming that way everywhere now.

We hardly ever go to the theatre when I am there anymore.

All this is doing is making those sites that post movies and pirating more popular than ever.

posted on Jun, 4 2008 @ 08:37 AM
link   
You know, i thought it was only South Africa getting outrageously expensive for everything. Fuel, food etc. For example, the price of cooking oil had actually doubled in around 3-4 months. What used to cost me R1900 now costs me R2700 at least for monthly necessities. That EXCLUDES baby food, nappies/daipers, dog food, bay necessities like soap and lotion etc.

Where is the world going. Sorry, i know off topic to a point but these costs are really getting out of hand!

posted on Jun, 4 2008 @ 12:38 PM
link   
reply to post by shearder

I agree shearder, having been born and raised in Australia and now living overseas on a US military base I am seeing firsthand how ripped off we are back home, for basic necessities as well as luxuries.

posted on Jun, 4 2008 @ 01:35 PM
link   
Quite simply my friends....if you don't like the prices...don't go.

Why support something that doesn't make you happy?

Take your own popcorn and drinks with you, and if that's prohibited in your local cinema...that message speaks loud & clear doesn't it...profit 1st, patrons last!?

They are in it primarily for the money and not to provide entertainment.

Can you make your own choices?

new topics

top topics

join