It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

IF God does exist, should he terminate his existence for the sake of his people?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 3 2008 @ 02:09 PM
link   
Hey folks.

I'll start off with a quote:

"For, if God is, he is necessarily the eternal, supreme, absolute master, and, if such a master exists, man is a slave; now, if he is a slave, neither justice, nor equality, nor fraternity, nor prosperity are possible for him. In vain, flying in the face of good sense and all the teachings of history, do they represent their God as animated by the tenderest love of human liberty: a master, whoever he may be and however liberal he may desire to show himself, remains none the less always a master. His existence necessarily implies the slavery of all that is beneath him. Therefore, if God existed, only in one way could he serve human liberty-by ceasing to exist." - Mikhail Bakunin, God and the State.

To (rather bluntly) paraphrase: If God does exist he exists as a master, therefore enslaving all of us humans beneath him. So, the only thing that God could do to ensure human liberty would be to no longer exist.

Obviously Bakunin was writing about the Christian God/Faith in God And The State so that is mainly what I'm inviting discussion on.

So..... Opinions?

IF God does exist...

Should he... ermm... cease to for the sake of his people?

Would he actually care enough for his people to make the ultimate sacrifice?

That's it.. Well, for now anyway....

P.S if you haven't already read it then I recommend reading Bakunin's God And The State, plus any other of his literature if you stumble upon it.

posted on Jun, 3 2008 @ 04:23 PM
link   
If there is a God he would not have to do himself in. All it would take is for everyone to stop believing in him/her. No believers, no God.

It would be a great step in human relations.

posted on Jun, 3 2008 @ 04:31 PM
link   
My personal opinion - we are part of God because it is everything and beyond. So once hypothetically it stops existing - there will be no "slaves" too . I cannot picture God as individual - Human ,Alien, Spiritual or other. Maybe i am wrong because there is no way for me to know it for certain.
As for no freedom of will (no liberty) - how can you be so sure? How can someone be certain decisions are made only by previous experience and "hardware" and those cannot be overridden if needed?

posted on Jun, 3 2008 @ 05:06 PM
link   
reply to post by threedoom

" IF God does exist, should he terminate his existence for the sake of his people? "

Hmmmmm...so, you want to commit suicide, eh!?

Of course, maybe you don't realize, without God,

there is no people. There is nothing.

For He is the 1st and the last.

Mikhail Bakunin, and the other humanists or secularists

are just good wordsmiths, who can spin yarns to capture the imagination

of the uninformed , but capturing souls is the objective.

And if the uniformed never even consider they are being hoodwinked,

then all the better for movement against them, for it will not be exposed .

I find it quite interesting, how people can just casually toss

their souls into the lap of strangers, with no thought of any consequences whatsoever.

I guess maybe that's what the faux religion that most of you guys see on satans altar [ the teevee set ]

does to you . You guys see the phoniness, then wrongly conclude it is all phony. [ for more on this see this;

www.whale.to...

more about our lying leaders here;

lexrex.com...

so, angered, you guys throw the baby out with the bathwater, and don't even know it.

And now, with their hardened hearts they wax philosophical about their souls

as if they were worth no more, than a bug....

FWIW, the church has been infiltrated, so has the state

and we all are the target. Need I remind you of our shredded constitution,

or our worthless currency, or the worthless school system, or worthless social security system

or our overly expensive healthcare system which has been bleeding us dry

since the AMA took it over and pushed out the natural homeopathic medicine

we used to have that worked pretty well and was cheap?!?!?!?! [ funny they never talk about that ]

So, don't believe me, believe them silver tongued wordsmiths

in their pinstriped suits with their hand in your pockets...and on your souls...

posted on Jun, 4 2008 @ 10:34 AM
link   
Ok, in a bit of a hurry but I'll start with why I posted this thread in the first place.

I became extremely interested in anarchism when I was about 18 and read a fair bit of anarchist literature (Kropotkin, Bakunin, Proudhon etc). I started reading God And The State again for the first time in about 4 years a few days ago and wanted to hear other peoples opinions.

Of course I could have just started a thread about anarchism in general but feared it would get the typical response. Also, I wanted to discuss anarchism + religion so decided to pick out one of my favourite statements from Bakunin's God And The State.

Not got time to address all the replies at moment so will have to come back later...

Toasted - I'll keep this as polite as possible.

Hmmmmm...so, you want to commit suicide, eh!?

Of course, maybe you don't realize, without God,

there is no people. There is nothing.

For He is the 1st and the last.

No, I don't want to commit suicide. I am happy with my existence. I have everything I need.

I'm afraid that I don't share the same beliefs as you so I am confident that there will still be people with or without God.

He, imo, is not the 1st nor the last as there was never any 'beginning' as such.

Mikhail Bakunin, and the other humanists or secularists

are just good wordsmiths, who can spin yarns to capture the imagination

of the uninformed , but capturing souls is the objective.

Now ... Good wordsmiths? Spinning yarns? Capturing the imagination of the uninformed, but capturing souls is the objective?

I'm afraid I could apply your statements quite easily to Christianity or, infact, any of the major religions.

Damn running out of time so I'll finish this post and check the links you posted later when I'm at home.

Peace

top topics

join