It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Clinton Summons Top Donors, Supporters For Tuesday Speech

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 2 2008 @ 03:43 PM
link   

Clinton Summons Top Donors, Supporters For Tuesday Speech

www.huffingtonpost.com

Hillary Clinton has summoned top donors and backers to attend her New York speech tomorrow night in an unusual move that is being widely interpreted to mean she plans to suspend her campaign and endorse Barack Obama - if not that night, within a day or two.

Obama and Clinton spoke Sunday night and agreed that their staffs should begin negotiations over post-primary activities, according to reliable sources. In addition to seeking Obama's help in raising money to pay off some $20 million-plus in debts, Clinton is known to want Obama to assist black officials who endorsed her and who are now taking constituent heat, including, in some cases, primary challenges from pro-Obama politicians.

"This has never happened before," one donor said, referring to the personalized request by email to attend the event in New York Tuesday night.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jun, 2 2008 @ 03:43 PM
link   
Could it possibly be she is throwing in the towel???

Its either that or she's going to announce that she's taking it all the way to the convention floor... or she is going to announce an independent run.

www.huffingtonpost.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jun, 2 2008 @ 03:45 PM
link   
So odds anyone?

posted on Jun, 2 2008 @ 03:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by grover
So odds anyone?

Here's my view...

Ickes put on the dramatic "Hillary got screwed" performance on Saturday so that when she drops out and endorses Obama, she will appear all the more gracious and a good sport. It will give her a lot more street cred to drop out with dignity in the context that she really got screwed than to just say she's quitting because she lost.

And after watching the debacle on Saturday, I can't believe that the entire Clinton power-structure is going away. Rather, the people in the Clinton web will be just as happy being in the middle things with Clinton being the VP. What do they care? That's why even her own supporters were willing to throw Hillary under the bus. They want prime positions in the Obama administration.

And further, Hillary isn't going to be satisfied going back to the Senate as a loser. I think the last time the Clinton's lost an election was in Arkansas. No, she's going to be part of the winning side in 2008, even if it's for VP.

And Clinton gracious endorsement of Obama is going to set the table for Obama welcoming her as his running mate.

Obama/Clinton 2008.

Odds? 100%

posted on Jun, 2 2008 @ 04:08 PM
link   
Possible but somehow I doubt it.

I see either an Obama/Richardson ticket to shore up his standing with Hispanics (also Richardson has experience coming out his ears)

Or an Obama/Clarke ticket for the general's foreign policy experience.

Somehow even if she were offered the VP and she took it, I find it hard to imagine her playing second fiddle to anyone even to Obama.

It would effectively be a split ticket with two strong power bases constantly striving for dominance.

posted on Jun, 2 2008 @ 04:13 PM
link   
You can take it for what its worth, but the Clinton camp says they're not conceding:

blogs.abcnews.com...

posted on Jun, 2 2008 @ 04:15 PM
link   
reply to post by vor78

Yeah I noticed that but they are also the only one's saying it.

posted on Jun, 2 2008 @ 04:16 PM
link   

Somehow even if she were offered the VP and she took it, I find it hard to imagine her playing second fiddle to anyone even to Obama.

I can see this side too.

But if Hillary has shown anything, it's that she's a SORE loser. She hates to lose more than anything in the world. She's been used to playing second fiddle. In fact, she seems to have thrived on playing second fiddle. She has the perfect cut-throat personality that will allow her to step right into Cheney's shoes and run the whole show while Obama is the front man.

And of course, don't forget what happened to RFK...

I'm tellin' ya, count on it. 100% Find a web site to bet on it. Just picture the scene when Barry O. has to sit down and convince Michelle how this is the smart move that's going to get them into the White House.... "Sweetie... just listen for a second.... after this nobody's going to care about that video of you anymore...."

posted on Jun, 2 2008 @ 04:18 PM
link   
He could really F with her and offer the VP position to her husband.

posted on Jun, 2 2008 @ 04:24 PM
link   

He could really F with her and offer the VP position to her husband.

OMG... that would be funny as hell! You literally made me LOL with that.... I think she might blow a gasket and need to be institutionalized if that happened.

And the best part is... Obama and Bill Clinton would win 45 states. And if Bill would file for a divorce before the election, they'd win all 57 states!

posted on Jun, 2 2008 @ 04:30 PM
link   
reply to post by grover

Indeed.

I also agree that Obama likely will not ask her to fill the VP slot unless the DNC pressures him to do so and my guess is they won't. I think that the DNC is as sick of the Clintons as the rest of us. Besides, it just creates too many problems for him and he appears to have enough already without taking on the Clinton baggage as well.

Of course, this is assuming Obama even wins the nomination. Its unlikely, but I wouldn't be totally stunned if Hillary eventually weasels her way into the nomination herself.

posted on Jun, 2 2008 @ 04:36 PM
link   
reply to post by jamie83

Yeah I can see it now... her eyes would bulge and she would turn various shades of red to purple steam would blow out from around her collar and her head would explode.

There would be no attempt to be gracious about it she would simply discombublate before everyone.

posted on Jun, 2 2008 @ 05:00 PM
link   

in some cases, primary challenges from pro-Obama politicians.

Primary challenges from pro-Obama politicians? Is that how they define themselves? If that isn't the biggest signal of a cult like leadership I'm not sure what is.

Good thread.

[edit on 2008/6/2 by SteveR]

new topics

top topics

join