It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

UK mortgage lender Bradford & Bingley shares drop near 30%!!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 2 2008 @ 06:20 AM
link   

UK mortgage lender Bradford & Bingley shares drop near 30%!!

news.sky.com

Shares in mortgage lender Bradford & Bingley have plummeted 30% this morning after the bank issued a profits warning and confirmed a deal with a US private equity company.

The company has been hit hard by the credit crunch, with profits suffering in the face of the housing market downturn and the soaring cost of borrowing on wholesale money markets.
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
news.bbc.co.uk
www.ft.com
www.abovetopsecret.com

posted on Jun, 2 2008 @ 06:20 AM
link   
The media hasn't been "the sky is falling" like over Northern Rock, which caused a run on the bank.

But, I have to say, it was reported last summer that Bradford & Bingley could become the next failed bank in the UK. Same business model as Northern Rock

news.sky.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jun, 2 2008 @ 06:23 AM
link   
Bradford & Bingley - Share Chart over a year period

posted on Jun, 2 2008 @ 08:12 AM
link   
Good thing I sold my shares in them last October then

posted on Jun, 2 2008 @ 08:20 AM
link   

Originally posted by selfisolated
Good thing I sold my shares in them last October then

Yeah, it was good.

The Bradford & Bingley shares are now down -25%, many expect medium size banks in the UK to face troubles like B & B and even Northern Rock. Whispers inside the UK government felt another bank is expected to fail soon :S

posted on Jun, 2 2008 @ 08:21 AM
link   
Correct me if Im wrong, but isnt B&B only a mortgage company?

Northern Rock had customers and depositors on their books, which is what caused the government to step in and bail them out... saving the government's face at taxpayers' expense.

However if B&B were to go kaput, the game would be up for them... no bailout this time we can presume since they are solely a mortgage company.

posted on Jun, 2 2008 @ 08:22 AM
link   

Originally posted by 44soulslayer
Correct me if Im wrong, but isnt B&B only a mortgage company?

Yep, based on the buy to let model.
Alliance & Leicester have the same system in place too. Another bank the City has tagged for potential problems.

posted on Jun, 2 2008 @ 09:06 AM
link   
So if I hold a mortgage with a company that goes bust - whats the script?

Who do I owe the money too? Can the administrators call in the mortgage since I'm a debtor?

S.

posted on Jun, 2 2008 @ 10:03 AM
link   
reply to post by Smokersroom

Well, it hasn't gone bust just yet but I think that would very much depend upon the deal that was made for whoever took over the bank. I also think that the contract you signed when you took out the mortgage would also still be valid, so they can't simply send you a letter demanding you pay off the rest of your mortgage immediately as far as I'm aware.

I doubt there will be another government bailout for any bank really. We can't afford it. I wonder if the big financial companies will learn any lessons from this, or will it be business as usual when the credit crunch ends?

posted on Jun, 2 2008 @ 10:12 AM
link   

Originally posted by Smokersroom

Who do I owe the money too? Can the administrators call in the mortgage since I'm a debtor?

S.

I'd say that B&B owe on th $$$ they packaged as mortgage products. Who ever that is. They would then own the "assets" of B&B, which in this case is those mortgages. try and find out who underwrote them.

[edit on 2-6-2008 by atlasastro]

posted on Jun, 2 2008 @ 10:24 AM
link   

Originally posted by Smokersroom

S.

Indubitably they will call in the mortgage.

The ridiculous system of a bank going bankrupt is that debtors are reeled in hard and fast; and creditors (ie those with a bank balance) are told to bugger off.

posted on Jun, 2 2008 @ 10:31 AM
link   
Well, as my chart has shown, within a single year B&B has lost nearly 80% of its share rating.

Many of the medium banks in the UK will not be able to operate under the credit crunch, most of them were created during the last 10 year economic boom.

posted on Jun, 2 2008 @ 02:45 PM
link   
reply to post by infinite

This short termism is endemic across the UK; in government, in business and in personal finances. People didn't put aside money during the good times and now they don't have much during the bad times. With luck, excessive borrowing will be a thing of the past and people will learn to live more within their means.

I find it bitterly ironic that the credit boom rocketed off in the 1980s under Margaret Thatcher, a leader who wanted 'Victorian values' of thrift, hard work and savings. The public had other ideas.

posted on Jun, 2 2008 @ 03:36 PM
link   
YIKES!

Bank Boss Warns Of Coming Recession

The new boss of Bradford & Bingley has told Sky News he believes the UK is "at the beginnings of a recession".

The Bradford & Bingley chief told Sky's Jeff Randall Live that his company had initially believed the downturn might level out in the second half of this year.

"We now don't think that, we think it is getting worse, and it will get worse in the second half of the year," he said.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

news.sky.com...

[edit on 2-6-2008 by infinite]

join